Camel Ride arranged by Egypt Private Excursion

yaletown605

We have signed up for a over-night tour with Egypt Private Excursion in February. Part of the tour includes a camel ride. We have heard many disturbing stories about camel rides operators around the pyramids and we really were not planning to get into that hassle.

Has anyone been on the camel ride arranged through a tour group, esp Egypt Private Excursion. We are prepared to give a tip but we do not want to be blackmailed.

We would enjoy the camel ride but frankly a bit indifferent to it. If it is included in the tour, great, if we don't do it, it is not the end of the world for us.

Any advice?

I had to chuckle when I read your post. I was also very indifferent to the camel ride and really didn't want to do it. I was urged to do so by my guide (this was on a land tour, not with Egypt Private Excursions) and ended up on a camel, terrified the whole time that I was about to fall off.

One word of advice: make sure your chosen camel has TWO stirrups. You'll need them. ;)

In all seriousness, I believe it is only those who arrange the camel rides on their own that run into trouble about payment. If your guide arranges it for you, you should have no worries -- he or she will negotiate a price and handle the exchange of money.

On the other hand, if you decide you don't want to do the ride, don't feel pressured. It's an experience I could've lived without. You can still get photos with a camel (and with both feet on the ground).

We have signed up for a over-night tour with Egypt Private Excursion in February. Part of the tour includes a camel ride. We have heard many disturbing stories about camel rides operators around the pyramids and we really were not planning to get into that hassle.

Has anyone been on the camel ride arranged through a tour group, esp Egypt Private Excursion. We are prepared to give a tip but we do not want to be blackmailed.

We would enjoy the camel ride but frankly a bit indifferent to it. If it is included in the tour, great, if we don't do it, it is not the end of the world for us.

Any advice?

i was on a camel ride arranged by Nile blue. it was 15$ for 15 or 20 minutes . you'd better arrange that with your tour company to be more comfortable

regards

terry

We too were not on a short cruise stop but rather on a 15 day tour of Egypt with Gate 1.

I very much wanted to ride a camel and our guide made sure I did. He did all the talking to the camel guys - told us the price and was right there as dh and I got on our camels. We rode down the dune to an area which is perfect for pictures of you on the camel with the pyramids in the background. There are mostly young boys (11-12-13 yrs old) who take you down with the camels. DH gave ours the equivalent of $8.00 US and he was smiling !!!!! On the way back he let go of the ropes, slapped em on the rear and off we went :eek: It was a blast !!!!

I had heard it was hard getting on and off and when they get up off their knees. Just lean WAY back and hold on to the front and back handles. It was alot easier and a much smoother ride than I was anticipating.

Again, use your guide. Trust your guide. They know how to do it.

Camels can be bad-tempered, so steer clear of their heads (they spit). The ones I've seen in Egypt always look a little bedraggled and perhaps giving rides to all the tourists doesn't improve their disposition.

Here's a pic of one of the better-looking and nicer of the species that I've run across (in Syria). He is nearly smiling.

P1020671.jpg

• 3 months later...

Any advice?

We used Ramses tours last year and took a camel ride. It was easy. Our guide new the camel owner. he walked up, hugged the man and we were placed right away on the camels. I saw many of our friends from the ship having a heck of a time. No money changed hands between our family and the camel owners. The tour guide handled it all. Tourism isn't booming right now, so owners may be a bit nicer????

has anybody got any information about Bedouin tend??

I emailed Mr. David the owner of Egypt Private Excursions and he told me that Bedouin dinner is served in tents overlooking the pyramids and is an open buffet dinner and belly dance along with a camel stops, and there is a lady who reads the future..

Here is a part of his email which explains what else is there

· Clay Candle holder on the walking away to the tent

· Special candle pots on front of the tent as corridor

· Bedouin Arabic coffee stand

· Bedouin Tea stand

· Traditional oriental drink stand ( Kerkrade, Tamr Hindy & Doom) as welcome drink

· Special welcome by the Kerab Music

· Traditional Bedouin tea & coffee as welcome upon arrivals served with dates

· Setting will be Bedouin style

I emailed Mr. David the owner of Egypt Private Excursions and he told me that Bedouin dinner is served in tents overlooking the pyramids and is an open buffet dinner and belly dance along with a camel stops, and there is a lady who reads the future..

Here is a part of his email which explains what else is there

· Clay Candle holder on the walking away to the tent

· Special candle pots on front of the tent as corridor

· Bedouin Arabic coffee stand

· Bedouin Tea stand

· Traditional oriental drink stand ( Kerkrade, Tamr Hindy & Doom) as welcome drink

· Special welcome by the Kerab Music

· Traditional Bedouin tea & coffee as welcome upon arrivals served with dates

· Setting will be Bedouin style

thanks for the answer it's breathtaking spending the night in the desert. especially the Arabic coffee and the candle light in the desert

• 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm planning to visit Luxor from safaga port next November, I wish to include a visit to the temple of madina Habu while in the west bank , I heard it is still preserving its original colors. Can anybody advise if t here will be any time to visit this site while in the west bank, I will be visiting the valley of kings and the temple of Hatshepsot, I do not want to be rushed, but I really to see as much as I can.

I'm planning to visit Luxor from safaga port next November, I wish to include a visit to the temple of madina Habu while in the west bank , I heard it is still preserving its original colors. Can anybody advise if t here will be any time to visit this site while in the west bank, I will be visiting the valley of kings and the temple of Hatshepsot, I do not want to be rushed, but I really to see as much as I can.

Visiting Medinat Habu was for us, a real thrill. Before leaving, I read that this temple of the last great Pharaoh of the New Kingdom, Ramesses III, was the best preserved temple in the Luxor area and surprisingly, it does not end up on most visitors' lists of places to visit. What I read was absolutely correct: the temple is spectacular! It is so well preserved, with so much of the original colour in evidence; so much more than you will see at Karnak or Luxor Temples. We were the only visitors there on the day we visited.

I can tell you that it is a great choice to add to your list and you will not have to go out of your way to visit it. It is situated in the same general area as the Temple of Hatshepsut and is on the way to or back from the Valley of the Kings. Here are some shots I took while there:

medinat_habu.jpg

medinat_habu2.jpg

medinat_habu3.jpg

Same as the others. I was on a land tour with a small group of women. Our guide arranged for the camels for those of us who wanted to ride. It was young boys who walked the camels with us. Mine asked if I wanted some photos and he took some marvelous pics of me and my camel. I gave a small tip at the end of the ride. Sure it was touristy and cheesy and not normally my style. But, it was one of those things that I just had to do - I mean, I was on a camel in Egypt in front of the Pyramids!!! Now, if I had been somewhere else and was offered a camel ride, I most likely would have declined (like Petra, Wadi Rum, Australia). The tour guide has his/her "trusted" vendors - if you don't trust your guide, you might think again about your choice of tour.

Same as the others. I was on a land tour with a small group of women. Our guide arranged for the camels for those of us who wanted to ride. It was young boys who walked the camels with us. Mine asked if I wanted some photos and he took some marvelous pics of me and my camel. I gave a small tip at the end of the ride. Sure it was touristy and cheesy and not normally my style. But, it was one of those things that I just had to do - I mean, I was on a camel in Egypt in front of the Pyramids!!! Now, if I had been somewhere else and was offered a camel ride, I most likely would have declined (like Petra, Wadi Rum, Australia). The tour guide has his/her "trusted" vendors - if you don't trust your guide, you might think again about your choice of tour.

Before leaving for Egypt, my wife said there was no way she would ever get on a camel. Once at Giza, our tour guide reassured her and brought us to his favourite camel guide and we decided to do it. Now, looking back, my wife thinks of it as one of the highlights ... I loved it too but I would have gone, no matter what.

Does anyone know how much a camel ride would cost? I mean if it is not included in your excursion

Thanks

It can be as little as twenty dollars but it all depends on the length of the ride, really. From the high plateau area just west of the Pyramids, my wife and I took a camel ride to an area where the Pyramids all line up. We took pictures and returned. It was about 45 minutes in all. I had agreed to $50 for the 2 of us. When I got back, I gave $5 to each of the boys who guided us and handed over $60 to the owner; it was such fun and knowing there were so few tourists there, I added the tips.

It can be as little as twenty dollars but it all depends on the length of the ride, really. From the high plateau area just west of the Pyramids, my wife and I took a camel ride to an area where the Pyramids all line up. We took pictures and returned. It was about 45 minutes in all. I had agreed to $50 for the 2 of us. When I got back, I gave $5 to each of the boys who guided us and handed over $60 to the owner; it was such fun and knowing there were so few tourists there, I added the tips.

Thanks havecamwilltravel...that sounds like a camel ride is a fabulous experience. I will certainly do that.

I am sure the EPE will include this my tour if I request it - so far they have been very helpful

Archived