Decent casual restaurant in FQ that you don't need a resi for?

skiiergirl

You can try Galatoires on Bourbon,great food, a little expensive and there might be a wait. I also like Cafe Giovanni on Decatur. Good Italian food with singing waiters and waitresses. Also, check out this link and click "French Quarter" to search all restaurants.Have fun and enjoy! http://www.neworleansonline.com/cuisine/restaurants/restaurant_listings.html

We needed a reservation on a Friday night at Galatoires last year. It's not really casual dress, unlike much of the other places in the FQ. It's a very good restaurant though. NOLAs is also excellent (Emeril's bistro), but you'd probably need a reservation there as well.

Here is where we ate this weekend....

(I should have actually clarified that I was looking for something in/near FQ rather than just "in" the "boundaries" of the FQ.)

Friday evening.....Mulates on Julia street....excellent!!!!! We were there in a private party room so I don't know how the wait was or if you had to have reservations, etc. I would definitely go there again.

Sat. morning....Beignets & cafe au lait

Sat. afternoon...late lunch....Mothers at 401 Poydras...Great...I had read about it. I had read that the food was great but that the people were rude. We did not find that to be true. Yes, the food was great. We shared a fried shrimp po boy, ff, and bread pudding! The service was great too. (Once we got to the service part.....lol!!!) There are several "steps" to getting served here. Go hungry but not starving because it will be a while before you get food.

1. Get in line outside (They pass menus back through the line so you can read it and be ready.)

2. Leave one person from your group in line and then go in and get bloody marys, mimosa, etc.

3. About 25 people at a time are let in the door (Here you are given your own menu to read and be ready)

4. Once inside the door you get into another line

5. Get to the counter and order

6. Pay and get your drinks (sodas, tea, etc.) and your "receipt"

7. Find a table (plenty of open tables) and have a seat

8. Server will pick up your ticket

9. Server will bring your food

10. Delicious enjoy

Everything we saw looked great. We were probably in line 45 minutes or so to get to the point of ordering but it was well worth it!

Sat evening....Bourbon House....We went here on the recommendation of some friends. Food was ok but not great. But part of that had to do with the late lunch some of us had. (But we had to eat early because some of the group was hungry.) The spinach salad is great. Calamari appetizer good. The crawfish bread was excellent. Crabcake on the seafood platter was delicious. Skip the fried shrimp though. (Did not compare to the fried shrimp on the po-boy at Mothers!)

Too many good restaurants in NO...too little time! lol

• 1 month later...

Archived