December 9, 16, 23, 30 2012 Mexican Riviera Cruises Cancelled!

To anyone sailing the December 2012 MR:

Just read that the December 9, 16, 23, 30 2012 MR sailings have been cancelled. Those currently booked have until 12/22 to switch cruises and will receive on board credit. If guests do not call prior to 12/22 to switch, they will be moved to the 12/2/12 sailing.

Disney has set up a special phone number to handle the changes to existing reservations: 1-866-325-3905.

This was an announcement that went out. Unusual that it's multiple cruises so that kind of rules out a charter.

Disney Cruise has just announced that most of the December, 2012 Disney Cruises have been cancelled. No information about reasons or where the Disney Wonder will be sailing has been made available a this time. The December 2, 2012 cruise is still sailing, but will be the last one available in 2012. The December 9, 16, 23 and 30 cruises are no longer available to book, and all guests with current reservations on the cancelled cruises will need to rebook to another Disney Cruise or cancel.

If you move your reservation by December 22, 2011, you will qualify for a special onboard credit with Disney (you must move to an existing 7 night or longer Disney Cruise):

December 9 and December 16, 2012 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruises – $250 onboard credit

December 23 and December 20, 2012 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruises – $500 onboard credit

If guests do not move their reservation by December 22, they will be automatically placed on the December 2, 2012 Mexican Riviera Disney Cruise, though you will have the option to move your cruise to another date if you wish, however, you may not qualify for the special onboard credit offer.

You must contact your travel agent of Disney Cruise line directly to move your travel dates before December 22, 2011 to qualify for the onboard credit. Guests always have the right to cancel as well if an agreeable alternate date is not found.

There's info. out there saying that the Wonder appears on Grand Cayman's port schedule for some of those dates. Should be interesting to see what they announce and just how soon they will make that announcement. I would hope that given this many cancellations they would do it sooner than later.

i wonder if it is replacing the MAGIC for awhile. Maybe a huge renovation of the Magic is upcoming and the Wonder will take her place. OR two trips to Hawaii to promote Aulani> We will soon see. The head of DCL is also the head of DVC so that wouldn't surprise me in the least!

Perhaps the Wonder is replacing the Magic while it is updated for a more friendly "Hawaiian" experience. It would be great to have one of the ships cruising seven nights through the hawaiian islands -- even better if the ship was reflagged U.S. to avoid the Jones Act.

Perhaps the Wonder is replacing the Magic while it is updated for a more friendly "Hawaiian" experience. It would be great to have one of the ships cruising seven nights through the hawaiian islands -- even better if the ship was reflagged U.S. to avoid the Jones Act.

Just reflagging won't do it. The crew will need to be changed out to only U.S. Citizens or legal residents so I doubt Disney will go that far. Since they will also have to pay the HI minium wage if not higher.

I agree, I think it will also be going to dry-dock, 4 weeks sounds like a good amount of time, and I think Disney would be keen to give the Wonder and Magic more of the Dream's class features

the wonder just spent a week in dry dock in September, right after the last Alaska run... Unless she needed more work???? :confused:

To anyone sailing the December 2012 MR:

Just read that the December 9, 16, 23, 30 2012 MR sailings have been cancelled. Those currently booked have until 12/22 to switch cruises and will receive on board credit. If guests do not call prior to 12/22 to switch, they will be moved to the 12/2/12 sailing.

Disney has set up a special phone number to handle the changes to existing reservations: 1-866-325-3905.

I just got off the phone with my Travel Agent that specializes in Disney and they said there is noting official but they are bing told that the ship is going to do Panama Canal. Disney was not getting the bookings that they expected for the Mexican Rivera.

I live in AZ and I've done the MR route for the past three years on another cruise line. If I have a choice, I'd rather sail on one of Disney's newer ships than spend additional $$ for cruise ports I've already seen on an older Disney ship, and the new ships are not over here. It'll be interesting to see what they decide to do.

When we sailed to La Paz two months ago, the people there were very upset that everyone thinks "Mexico" is dangerous. To them it was like saying if you think New York City is dangerous, avoid the entire United States!

When we sailed to La Paz two months ago, the people there were very upset that everyone thinks "Mexico" is dangerous. To them it was like saying if you think New York City is dangerous, avoid the entire United States!

That is true, but can you blame people???? Multiple bodies being found almost every day.... :( :eek:

Sounds like a great idea!;)

Just reflagging won't do it. The crew will need to be changed out to only U.S. Citizens or legal residents so I doubt Disney will go that far. Since they will also have to pay the HI minium wage if not higher.

Actually you not totally correct there.

The real crew...IE Deck Officers and engineering Officers and Crew would have to be US licensed. To get a US liense you need to be a US citzen or a legel alien. The hotel staff would only need US seamans papers so they could also be forgien citzens. Yes the pay would go up but that is not really as big issue.

The Vessel has to be rebuilt with 60% US made materials and in a US Shipyard....That would be the expensive part. Cheaper and more cost effective to biuld a new ship in the US then change over the Wonder or Magic.

Also US Corporate laws would go into effect....Thats the *big elephant in the room*.

Not likely to happen unfortunitly

AKK

Tonk's right. Besides, NCL has a ship there doing exactly that (Pride of America). It would cost too much and they would be going head to head with an established ship...

Actually I have a question for Tonk (he seems to know this stuff :)). I am assuming The Jones Act requires a stop at a foreign port. I was thinking that the 100/200 sq foot that Captain Cook's Monument stands on is technically British soil... But it ain't a port :o

Tonk's right. Besides, NCL has a ship there doing exactly that (Pride of America). It would cost too much and they would be going head to head with an established ship...

Actually I have a question for Tonk (he seems to know this stuff :)). I am assuming The Jones Act requires a stop at a foreign port. I was thinking that the 100/200 sq foot that Captain Cook's Monument stands on is technically British soil... But it ain't a port :o

Actually it is the Passenger Vessel Services Act that requires this, not the Jones act. So if Disney wanted to do RT cruises out of Hawaii they would have to stop at a foreign port. The closest foreign port to Hawaii is Fanning Island.

I believe that the terminology is "distant foreign port".

Archived