Single crusiers/double occupancy fares

OSCN

I am single. :( Would like counsel on booking a cruise with out having to pay the double occupancy fare. I am not particularly interested in "singles" cruises. Anyone out there aware of a means to do this?

Hi,

Perhaps you should look at NCL's Epic. They have studio cabins that cater to solo travelers. The cost is not as high as a single person in a double occupancy room.

A second suggestion is to see if there is a travel agent or group that can connect you with a roommate for the cruise to keep the cost down.

If you can cruise at any time you might want to keep an eye out (or if you have a really good travel agent let them do it) for specials. Cruise lines occasionally make really good offers to solo travelers but usually they are last minute.

Hi,

Perhaps you should look at NCL's Epic. They have studio cabins that cater to solo travelers. The cost is not as high as a single person in a double occupancy room.

I've looked at the studios on Epic and have always found the price still higher than just paying double for a standard room on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival......and I'm not stuck with a tiny 100 square foot room. It sure sounds like the studios are popular though.

I've looked at the studios on Epic and have always found the price still higher than just paying double for a standard room on both Royal Caribbean and Carnival......and I'm not stuck with a tiny 100 square foot room. It sure sounds like the studios are popular though.

Yes, I don't quite understand why people would rush to pay more for a tiny inside room. Even though they say "no supplement", there's only no supplement because they cost more in the first place, LOL........you pay almost 30% more to cruise in a cabin that's almost 30% smaller. But, it seems to work for NCL.

OP, you should keep your eye out for sales (or have your travel agent do it) if you're flexible about when you can travel. Another option is Crystal Cruises, which charge solo passengers only 25% extra for outside cabins and 35% extra for balcony cabins. It's a more expensive cruise than the mainstream lines, but it's also a more luxurious (and inclusive) experience than the mainstream lines. Since I refuse on principle to pay double for traveling solo, those are the two things I do (my Crystal transatlantic cruise is in less than 2 months!!!! Yea!!!)

I am single. :( Would like counsel on booking a cruise with out having to pay the double occupancy fare. I am not particularly interested in "singles" cruises. Anyone out there aware of a means to do this?

I always cruise solo, but I don't really pay that much attention to what the supplement is, as I look at the total price of the cruise and if I think it is worth the price I book the cruise. Cruise line fares vary quite a bit and I have seen some lines offer a 50% single supplement that is still more expensive than another line's fare that has a 100% supplement for the same itinerary. I cruise for the ports much more than I do the ships so I usually go with the best fare and don't worry about what percentage I am paying for travelling solo. I have found most of the mass market lines to be more similar than different. Yes some of the premium cruise lines do offer single supplements as low as 25% but their beginning fare is usually double or more to even begin with. Some people think they are worth the extra costs, but others do not think they are that much better. Neither one is right or wrong, they are just different, and like different things. That is what is great about cruising solo, you can decide what is best for you, because the only person you have to keep happy is yourself. Happy Sailing.

I don't pay any attention to the so-called single supplement. Really, it's just a matter of advertising.

If I stay in a hotel, the price is advertised _per room_ and is the same for one or two people. On a ship, the price is advertised _per person_ instead, but really the cost per room is usually the same for either one or two. It isn't a matter of a 'supplement' but of the way the thing is advertised (cruise lines wish to advertise the lowest price they can).

I also don't understand why anyone would rent one of Norwegian's 100 sq ft interior studios, for just a couple of hundred less than a regular balcony (at least on the itineraries I've investigated). I'm seriously considering going on Epic next December, but if I do I won't be in a studio.

I don't pay any attention to the so-called single supplement. Really, it's just a matter of advertising.

If I stay in a hotel, the price is advertised _per room_ and is the same for one or two people. On a ship, the price is advertised _per person_ instead, but really the cost per room is usually the same for either one or two. It isn't a matter of a 'supplement' but of the way the thing is advertised (cruise lines wish to advertise the lowest price they can).

Not quite, IMO, because of the inclusive nature of cruises (room and board and activities), it's more like an AI resort than a hotel room. That's why resorts (whether AI or not) almost always advertise per person, and charge extra for single occupancy. I only use half the food and beverages, create less the laundry, and take up half the space in the public rooms and activities, so I bristle at being expected to pay as if I'm two people.

I don't know if this will be erased, but there is a good web site called Vacations to Go and if you click on "singles discounts", it will show you the singles prices for all cabins. There are lots of them! Good luck.

:DAm sure this will be erased,but have to agree with you while I have the chance,great web site.

Sue

I always cruise solo, but I don't really pay that much attention to what the supplement is, as I look at the total price of the cruise and if I think it is worth the price I book the cruise. Cruise line fares vary quite a bit and I have seen some lines offer a 50% single supplement that is still more expensive than another line's fare that has a 100% supplement for the same itinerary. I cruise for the ports much more than I do the ships so I usually go with the best fare and don't worry about what percentage I am paying for travelling solo. I have found most of the mass market lines to be more similar than different. Yes some of the premium cruise lines do offer single supplements as low as 25% but their beginning fare is usually double or more to even begin with. Some people think they are worth the extra costs, but others do not think they are that much better. Neither one is right or wrong, they are just different, and like different things. That is what is great about cruising solo, you can decide what is best for you, because the only person you have to keep happy is yourself. Happy Sailing.

Neil...we think alike:D I stopped looking at that supplement years ago.

If I can afford the total price? That is what matters to me as well.

This year is 10 years since my first solo cruise and worth every

penney:) I am going in April..a belated birthday gift to myself and it

will be my 10 year anniversary cruise too:D...My first cruise was

May 2003 and I have never looked back!

I think the appeal of the tiny Epic cabins is the perception of a built in social single/solo social setting. WITHOUT a cabinmate or SS. Those who wish to avoid the singles supplement and do not mind the unknown factor of a cabinmate chosen by the cruise host may book a hosted singles group cruise.Two companies do these, usually monthly on various ships/itins, not just Caribbean.

*raises hand as someone who has stayed in an Epic studio cabin before and plans to do so again on her next cruise*

I love the studios for many reasons. It's the perfect size for me, I love the cool lights, and you have the studio lounge. I loved getting to interact with the other solos and hang out in the studio lounge... not to mention the dry erase board, and the snacks. I loved getting some milk and cookies late at night when on my way back to my cabin - without having to seek out a buffet or some other dining room.

Though a balcony might be nice to have... I do fear that it would encourage me to stay in my room all the time, and I'd prefer to actually go out and meet people, etc.

Speaking of balcony rooms, though... how am I missing these balcony rooms that sell for the same price as a studio? On my upcoming cruise, the current prices are $899 for a studio and $1059 per person for a standard balcony. How is that "a couple of hundred bucks difference"? :confused:

I prefer to cruise solo and look at the total cost of the cruise instead of pp twin share.

Quite often ive ended up shouting a friend to come with me as it only costs $100 or so extra for them to join me.

I look at the benefit of not having to share my cabin as the reason for the premium.

At first it was hard for me to take the plunge and just book the single cruise. But when I thought about it, it is worth it to me. I have missed way too many vacations because I could not find a friend that could come with me and I decided I am letting my life go by and not doing what *I* want only because someone else is not able to do it. No more. I am happily paying the full room rate in order to go on my vacation. I pay for the full room rate when I stay in a hotel on vacation - so why should a ship be any different.

I expect to have lots of fun, enjoy my downtime, but also meet and enjoy others on the cruise.

I think the appeal of the tiny Epic cabins is the perception of a built in social single/solo social setting.

I guess.....that doesn't especially appeal to me, since I don't care whether the people I meet are solos, couples, or families. The cruise ship is full of social rooms and places to meet others, so I never really understood the appeal of a "solo's lounge".

Neil...we think alike:D I stopped looking at that supplement years ago.

If I can afford the total price? That is what matters to me as well.

This year is 10 years since my first solo cruise and worth every

penney:) I am going in April..a belated birthday gift to myself and it

will be my 10 year anniversary cruise too:D...My first cruise was

May 2003 and I have never looked back!

Lois, Hope you have a great trip in April. I haven't got anything booked yet but I am getting the bug again so I have been looking for maybe something in May or early June. I like a shorter cruise earlier in the year and then look for a longer one in the late fall. Looking Back is only a good thing when you are in the back of the ship watching the wake settle behind you at sea.

• 2 weeks later...

Speaking of balcony rooms, though... how am I missing these balcony rooms that sell for the same price as a studio? On my upcoming cruise, the current prices are $899 for a studio and $1059 per person for a standard balcony. How is that "a couple of hundred bucks difference"? :confused:

I'm with you dreamr, I'm looking at a studio in March for $649 versus Freedom of the Seas for $1144 for a Promenade cabin (it's less expensive than a regular inside). That's almost double! I won't even look at the balconies! Or I can do a 4 nighter on the Jewel of the Seas for $618. I love RCI, but NCL is just giving it away at this point. OP, look at RCI, for a lot of their cruises, you only pay 75% more!

For my own curiosity, I checked balconies on the Epic, same cruise that studio is $649, solo balcony is $2038 :eek::eek: I could have 3 studios, one to sleep in, one to shower in and one just to store my clothes!:eek::eek: If y'all see one for $800, post it here so we can all book one! :D

It depends on the cruise -- I just looked up some Epic cruises and found studios at $1200 and balconies $850 per person (plus fees and taxes). It's certainly not cheaper to travel solo in a balcony cabin, but you're buying twice as much space (including a balcony) for about 30% more money (about $500 more).

SantaAna,CA mentioned a specific company. It was recommended by some friends. When I booked, my regular agent said "I can't match that price, and I belong to the same consortium they do!". When I got the invoice- it was the same price as my regular agent. They did honour the quoted rate, but the agent I dealt with left the company two weeks later, and the replacement- all I ever got was her voice mail. Just a note of caution, your experience may differ.

Which is cheaper- $125 per day, or $350 per day? If I said the first is a supplement of 200% and the second is 125%, would that change your answer? (I've cruised on both, and the first ship actually suits me better.)

Not quite, IMO, because of the inclusive nature of cruises (room and board and activities), it's more like an AI resort than a hotel room. That's why resorts (whether AI or not) almost always advertise per person, and charge extra for single occupancy. I only use half the food and beverages, create less the laundry, and take up half the space in the public rooms and activities, so I bristle at being expected to pay as if I'm two people.

Could not agree with you more! Solo pricing discrimination is one of the last legal forms of discrimination left!

Could not agree with you more! Solo pricing discrimination is one of the last legal forms of discrimination left!

I think it depends on how you look at. Hotel rooms are sold at a per room rate for 1 or 2 people. A single person doesn't pay less to book the room than what two people pay for the same room. Cruise cabins work the same way, if there are two people in the cabin they pay the same rate as if there was 1 person in the cabin most of the time. When you sail and the supplement is less than 100% you are actually getting a discount on the cabin price. I have never gotten a discount in a hotel because I was staying as a solo that I can recall. Cruise ships are floating hotels. I used to do a lot of land trips and they almost always had a single supplement to cover the cost of the single room. I got tired of packing and unpacking every day so I switched to cruises. It is much easier when the hotel moves every day and you only have to pack and unpack once a trip.

Cruise ships are floating hotels.

No, they are floating all-inclusive resorts.

And, in Europe, a solo hotel guest can often get a lower rate. (Of course, they also usually get a smaller and less desirable room.)

Still, I agree that it's not discrimination, it's a different pricing model aimed at maximizing capacity and minimizing the distributed costs for the line.

Archived