Who's Bill W?

kb996

Who is Bill W and who are his friends?

The dailies for the Spirit show a meeting EVERY day for the "friends of Bill W".

I'm wondering if I should go and be his friend.

Since no one is bothering to give you a straight answer... it is a AA meeting...

It's a legitimate question, I would not know except I have a family member in recovery. Friends of Bill W is an AA meeting, most cruise lines have them. If you can imagine how the liquor flows on a cruise ship and the temptations that arise, it's a responsible idea for the cruise lines to offer them, and I would imagine make people in recovery deal with the situation.

And in case you see it, Friends of Dorothy is a meeting for gay people.

There is an interesting made-for-TV movie called "My Name is Bill W" (at least that's what I think it's called) - about the formation of Alcoholics Anonymous by Bill Wilson. That's the only reason I knew what a Friends of Bill W meeting was.

Can anyone tell me where the name "Friends of Dorothy" came from? Does it really have anything to do with the Wizard of Oz?

There is an interesting made-for-TV movie called "My Name is Bill W" (at least that's what I think it's called) - about the formation of Alcoholics Anonymous by Bill Wilson. That's the only reason I knew what a Friends of Bill W meeting was.

Can anyone tell me where the name "Friends of Dorothy" came from? Does it really have anything to do with the Wizard of Oz?

Yes it does - Dorothy= Judy Garland = diverse fan base

Gee, I think some of the people obsessed with "smuggling" liquor onboard might just consider stopping in to see "Friends of Bill W." Ya think??? LOL!;)

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

I don't think they'd exactly call it nostalgic to meet in a bar. The cruises I have been on generally hold them in a meeting or conference room. To have an AA meeting in a bar is ridiculous!

PS Romy, I love your cat!

Thanks Bragstarr! That's my Schnoocums. I leave in 3 weeks and I've been freaking about her being alone for 2 weeks even thought I have 2 friends coming by everyday to play with and feed her:( .

I think you're right actually about them meeting in a bar. Seems to me on past cruises (both Celebrity) when looking at the dailies, they were held in the library/card room.

Happy Sailing!!!

Romy

Why should you feel stupid for asking? Most of us who know are either relatives or friends of people who are involved in AA, in recovery themselves, or have been on a lot of cruises! Better you were never in a situation where you NEEDED to know about these things!

Here's my funny Bill W. story. After our 6th cruise and reading over the events of the day I noticed this Bill W. guy who cruises with a lot of friends or enough to get his name and party in the dailys was following us from ship to ship. I mean this was too much and I had to meet this world cruiser Bill W. so I went to the meeting and stuck my head in the door to only see one person there. I asked when Bill was coming and she knew I was not part of the program. We talked a while and after she filled me in and what it was all about I've never felt so embarrsed. I had a brother that went to AA but he never mentioned Bill W. so I had no idea. We talked about my brother who had died from it and after that time I don't feel so funny that Bill W. and his friends are following us. It's wonderful the ship provides the factilties to meet while on vacation. This question gets asked a lot here on CC and you get the same answers of some many who didn't know.

OK - so now I know that Dorothy/Judy Garland is the basis for Friends of Dorothy - but what is the background that brought that group to name itself thus?

Well, obviously you don't get to Christopher St. in NY or the entire city of San Francisco, or perhaps Provincetown MA.; but if you do have the opportunity, go into one of the gay souvenir stores (they'll invariably have a gay lib rainbow flag flying outside) and check out who the gay icons are:

Judy Garland, Barbra Streisand, Montgomery Clift, James Dean, Marlene Dietrich and others whose posters are around....

BnB

PFLAG alumni

Strange that I lived in the Bay area for 4 1/2 years and never saw any connection between the mentioned movie stars and the gay lifestyle. Of course, I did live in the "suburbs" rather than the city, so I guess I wasn't around those shops much.

I have a funny story about Friends of Bill W. I was standing in line to board Celebrity's Summit from San Diego to Ft. Lauderdale. There was a woman standing behind me commenting about all the parties she goes to on cruises and how much she loves them. She always attends the Captains parties, the welcome back parties, usually makes friends and gets invited to private parties, party party party. "There is one party I just can't seem to get invited to and thats the friends of Bill W party, who is he anyway and how can I get invited" she said. All of us within earshot just looked at her thinking she was pulling our leg, when we realized she wasn't we all had a good laugh and then I explained to her what Friends of Bill W is for. She was really embarrassed but was a good sport about it. After a few minutes she said, "I'm almost afraid to ask how do I go about getting invited to a Friends of Dorothy Party?".

I am a friend of Bills for 22+ years but not a friend of Dorothys!.It is great that we have mtgs on board. We really don't care where they are as long as we have them!. I have met some wonderful people on the 4 cruises we have done. If I hadn't met Bill I don't think I would be cruising and enjoying this life I have now! It is better to know it exists and not need it, than to need it and not know about it.

We are looking to book the Dawn in Late October. coming over from Carnival

Bill

Archived