How are the ncl beds?

renalrn

Sailing on the Pearl soon with DH and 79yr old Mom.

Yes, 3 of us in one room- a minisuite (lets be realistic-extended balcony).

I'll be sharing a bed with Mom and banishing pooer DH to the little couch/bed.

Just curious if any one has tried them and would care to comment on their comfort level. I had considered bringing a small air mattress to avoid miserable nights for dear sweet hubby.

I've never been on ncl so don't know what the mattress situation is.

In my humble personal opinion I was happy with Carnival and Celeb.,RCCL was a bit on the thin and uncomfortable side.

Thanks in advance for any input on this.

-maryann

The main beds are very comfortable. I slept great and I usually have trouble sleeping anywhere but my own bed. I thought they were on the soft side, but not too soft.

As for the couch/bed...no personal experience from me. But my MIL and FIL, both in their 70s, shared their room with 2 of their grandkids. The grandkids, one boy, one girl, refused to sleep together. So the alternated...grandma and granddaughter on the sofa and grandpa and grandson in the bed one night and then switched the next. Both my ILs said the couch/bed was very hard. So I would suggest you bring that air mattress. You might be able to ask for an egg crate to put on the sofa, but I hear they are not always available.

We have no expierence with the sofa bed, but I have honestly not read good things about it here on CC. I can tell you without any doubt that the main bed is extremely comfortable. One of the most comfrotable beds we have ever had on any vacation. You and your Mom will be in heaven. Not for sure about poor hubby. 8-)

If you ask for an egg crate topper do you have to leave the sofa bed out all day, or what do you do with the egg crate when the sofa bed is folded back up? There will be three of us in a balcony cabin and I hear with the sofa bed out you can't get to the balcony.

I can't speak for the sofa bed but the I slept the better on the Pearl than I did on any of my other cruises. It didn't even feel like the two beds were joined like they have in the past.

Is the big bed two beds joined together? If so that's solve my problem. I can sleep on anything, DH has been like the princess-and-the pea since he had a kidney out and a couple of heart surgeries.

Thanks all for responding, I will ask for the foam topper asap regardless, and tip accordingly!

-maryann

Is the big bed two beds joined together? If so that's solve my problem. I can sleep on anything, DH has been like the princess-and-the pea since he had a kidney out and a couple of heart surgeries.

Thanks all for responding, I will ask for the foam topper asap regardless, and tip accordingly!

-maryann

I was going to ask if any of you have back issues, but I guess the question's been answered about your husband. :) If you can sleep on anything, I'd probably have them separate the beds and take the pull out yourself - I'd still request the topper though! Better safe (comfortable) than sorry!

-maryann

Yes the two beds were joined to make one bed. Usually if you hit the middle, you can feel where they join but this was not the case on the Pearl. I was expecting to ask for the topper but I didn't need it. Hope yo have a great time on the Pearl.

Ahhh...great, thanks to you all!

I have no back issues, can (and have) slept on hard dirt under the stars, cement floors,pool tables (back in my wild and wooley days).

DH is the particular one. I made him climb DunnRiver Falls 6 weeks after he had his kidney removed and he complained like crazy after of back pain- like the sympathetic nurse that I am I told him to "buck up" that he just was out of shape from lying around in a hospital. Turns out that he was passing kidney stones in the remaining kidney. I was surprised thereafter that he cruised again with me so I always try to make him as comfy as possible.

This is the first time that my 79 yr old mom has cruised in the same room with us; DH invited her after I had made the reservation so the sleeping situation was worrying me.

I will do just that: have the beds seperated, and take the pull out!

Have a great weekend, y'all! Thanks again for your info, this is why cruise critic is so great,helpful folks like you.

Archived