Princess to Base Ship Year-Round in San Francisco

LauraS

Fantastic! As someone that lives just north of SF, I pass through there often. The sight of a Princess ship in port makes my day. Not to mention I can predict a cruise on her sometime next summer! :cool:

Edit: Make that next fall. We prefer to head south. Alaska was amazing but we have done that not too long ago and prefer warmer places!

Great news, I can see us doing these cruises.

New stops in Mexico, we really enjoyed the California Costal last March on the Sapphire out of LA. I am sure we will squeeze in Hawaii too.

I think this is wonderful, not only for San Francisco, but for Princess. I hope the Grand being in the city will bring improvements to the port which are desperately needed. The Grand is a wonderful older ship that has been refurbished completely. I look forward to this a great deal.

I think this is wonderful, not only for San Francisco, but for Princess. I hope the Grand being in the city will bring improvements to the port which are desperately needed. The Grand is a wonderful older ship that has been refurbished completely. I look forward to this a great deal.

There already are approved plans for a new cruise terminal in San Francisco. Work should start before too long.

There already are approved plans for a new cruise terminal in San Francisco. Work should start before too long.

Yes, Pier 27 - it's supposed to open next year isn't it? Should be exciting!

Great news for Northern California :) I sailed on the Grand in Feb and she looks fantastic after her recent updates. Also just booked the Sept 2013 10 day Mexico trip, love the new stops in Loreto and La Paz

I'm sure the new terminal was one reason why Princess decided to make San Francisco Grand Princess' home port. But the pier is actually being refurbished for the America's Cup and won't become a cruise terminal until that event is over at the end of September 2013 - here is a picture of what Pier 27 will look like for the Cup - the building at the upper right is what will eventually become the cruise terminal.

http://www.americascup.com/en/San-Francisco/San-Francisco/

This is FANTASTIC! I am so excited.

I'm a bit frustrated with Dan the Future Cruise Sales guy on the Caribbean Princess. Just last week when my husband and I were booking our future cruise Dan told us that Princess would no longer be sailing much to Mexico and would definitely not be sailing out of SFO after the March 31, 2013 sailing.

We booked the March 31, 2013 sailing because we thought - wow, we better do this sailing, since we've always wanted to sail out from SFO. I'm delighted to hear that Dan was wrong, however I hope he stops giving out such misinformation.

I'm off to call my mother now and schedule a cruise for all of us out of SFO for fall 2013. Hurray!

Im doing my part to keep the revenue going - We've just reserved 2 itineraries on the Grand out of SF. HAWAII during Christmas 2013 and 10 day Mexico March 2014! Lots of time now to plan and save!

This is so great having her based locally -

This is great news for the West Coast. Like that they have added two new ports to the Mexico cruise from SF. Wish they would do that from the San Pedro port too. The Mexico cruises need some refreshing as to where they goes in Mexico.

VERY sweet, since I'm just 20 minutes from the pier. I'm wondering whether increased availability will mean less of a price premium on SFO sailings, e.g. vs. LAX to Hawaii.

That's wonderful news. Can't wait until the new terminal is in operation. What a bonus for those of us who live in the S.F. Bay area. I see another Princess cruise in our future!

Terminal will not be ready for cruise operations until Spring 2014 and only if the project is on schedule (but don't bet on it; this is San Francisco).:D

Check out the latest Princess Cruises news from Cruise Critic:

Princess to Base Ship Year-Round in San Francisco

This is wonderful news, and doubly good when combined with the new cruise terminal at Pier 27!

We can take public transit to the ship, so it is great not having to park a car or deal with airplane hassles. Hopefully these cruises do really well, and encourage more ships to come to San Francisco.

We passed Pier 27 last week and work has already begun. It looks like demolition is finished or almost finished, and hopefully building will begin soon. Now if I could only talk DH into a Mexico cruise (sigh). Perhaps the idea of arriving to the ship via BART will get him interested.

We have done about 6 cruises to Mexico in the last 10 years, all but one was on Princess.

We love to cruise, go for the ship experience primarily and love not having to fly when going round trip out of San Francisco. Our next trip is in September on the Star, we did the Star 4 or 5 years ago. Our next cruise is our 21st cruise will Princess.

I would love to Hawaii and Alaska again too.

Really felt the need to support cruises out of San Francisco so we would see more. Nothing beats taking a taxi to the ship.

It also helps the travel budget to balance one trip out of our home port against another cruise in the Mediterranean. Going on a cruise out of Rome next March.

Thanks Princess for making San Francisco a home port. :D

We passed Pier 27 last week and work has already begun. It looks like demolition is finished or almost finished, and hopefully building will begin soon. Now if I could only talk DH into a Mexico cruise (sigh). Perhaps the idea of arriving to the ship via BART will get him interested.

Another great way to get to the city for your cruise is to take the Vallejo 10am ferry and get off at pier 39, then walk to pier 27. Very easy to do. Plus your cruise vacation actually starts once you board the ferry. You can also take the Marin ferry too. Really nice way to start a cruise.

Another great way to get to the city for your cruise is to take the Vallejo 10am ferry and get off at pier 39, then walk to pier 27. Very easy to do. Plus your cruise vacation actually starts once you board the ferry. You can also take the Marin ferry too. Really nice way to start a cruise.

Agreed. And, if you are in the East Bay (as we are), you can take the ferry from Oakland (Jack London Square) or Alameda to the Ferry Building or, occasionally, to Pier 41. The SF Bay ferries are great.

Archived