Saint Petersburg: Maps , pictures and information.

We have booked our 4th visit to St. Petersburg this Fall. We will be glad to help - if we can. About 90% of what most visitors will see will be in this 3 square mile area.

Appreciate the neat St. Petersburg pictures. Bring back nice memories. Not sure I agree that 90% of what people want to see is within the 3 sq. miles on that map. Don't forget the Peterhof, Catherine's Palace, etc. We also enjoyed very much the Yusupov Palace overlooking the Moyka Canal. Lots to see, do, love and enjoy in this great, historic city.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 115,717 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Thanks Terry for your kind words. Because we went to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof on our Baltic cruise in 2006 we missed Yusupov's Palace and The Peter and Paul Fortress . Yusupov's Palace is 2 blocks South and 2 blocks West of St. Issac's Cathedral on the posted map. It is most famous for the bizzare death of Rasputin.

IMG_3551.jpg

Catherine's Palace is 18 miles South of the Palace Square in Tsarskoe Selo ( Tsar's Village) but is a 1hr. drive due to traffic. The Heroic Defenders of Leningrad is along the way just before the airport.

Europe09192-Copy.jpg

The most interesting attraction of the palace is the reconstructed Amber Room ( which they don't allow you to photograph).

Here's a link to a quick video clip of the palace grounds.

Peterhof is 28 miles West of Palace Square and is an hour each way. If you go by car maybe your guide will let you visit the Peter and Paul Cathedral near Petrodvort.

IMG_3256.jpg

Peterhof is known for it's fountains and we had a unique opportunity to watch some young people play in fountains.

The most frustrating part of leaving the city was the 4 hours used in commuting to the 2 palaces. You can see alot using some of that time in the city.

Thanks Terry for your kind words. Because we went to Catherine's Palace and Peterhof on our Baltic cruise in 2006 we missed Yusupov's Palace and The Peter and Paul Fortress . Yusupov's Palace is 2 blocks South and 2 blocks West of St. Issac's Cathedral on the posted map. It is most famous for the bizzare death of Rasputin. The most frustrating part of leaving the city was the 4 hours used in commuting to the 2 palaces. You can see alot using some of that time in the city.

Happy Cruiser 6143: Take the hydrofoil to Peterhof. The gardens and fountains are spectacular.

Agree strongly with Linda that using the hydrofoil is great' date=' BOTH to save time and have a more interesting way to approach your next stop. Below is one of my pictures for how this unique boat looks. We did visit Yusupov's Palace, see the scene shown for the killing of Rasputin, etc. Below are a couple of other views for Yusupov's Palace.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio[/font']

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 116,838 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

From the dock at the Peterhof, here is the hydrofoil approaching before we started our trip into St. Petersburg. It is a little like boarding a "space ship". Cool and interesting ride!:

1A-StP-Hydrofoil.jpg

Along a quiet stretch of the Moika River stands a long yellow building. It was once the residence of the wealthy and powerful Yusupov family. It was one of the most dramatic episodes in Russia's history, Grigory Rasputin’s murder. In 1916, some of the city's noble elite, including one of the Grand Dukes and the prominent Prince Felix Yusupov, conspired to kill a royal advisor who they believed threatening the stability of the war-torn Russian Empire. Here is one picture from the Blue Room of the Yusupov Palace. Is this just like one of your bedrooms at home?:

1A-StP-Yusp-BlueRoom.jpg

This Palace had its own Opera Hall. Don't most homes have this feature?:

1A-StP-Yusp-OperaHall.jpg

If anyone chooses to drive to Peterhof there are many sites along the way:

The Narva gate commerates the Russian victory over Napoleon

Europe09295.jpg

This Soviet Realism painting appears on a building near the gate. It says "Proletariat of the World Unite".

IMG_3670.jpg

Down the street we found Catherine's Park with this statue of The Komosol ( Communist youth).

IMG_3694_zps64579071.jpg

And had a nice Fall walk

IMG_3732.jpg

Before you enter Petrodvorets, you see the Constantine Palace where the 2006 G8 summit was held. This is also where Putin stays when in town.

Europe09240.jpg

Just before entering Peterhof you will see the cathedral pictured earlier, Peter and Paul. If you drive one way and use the hydrofoil the other way we think you get the best of both worlds.

If you returned to the city and begain walking along the Neva River starting at the Bronze Horseman, you could see most of the sites that St. Petersburg is famous for.

In this picture you can see the yellow buildings with the spire and flag that comprise the Admirality building. The green building is the Winter Palace which houses the Hermitage. In the distance is St. Issac's Cathedral.

IMG_3885_zps9922ec73.jpg

On the other side of the Winter Palace is Palace Square with the Alexander Column, at 600 tons making it the largest free-standing monument the world.

Europe09059.jpg

Across the river Neva from the Admirality is the Rostral Columns

IMG_3631.jpg

Truly amazing pictures in all these posts! I pulled them up on my kindle and what a difference as oppose to my iPhone! Amazing! Looking forward to my visit in June. Thanks for sharing!

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks Dolfans , I'm sure will love St. Pete. We're in Miami tomorrow. DD is getting married on the Carnival Victory !

WOW! Congrats! I have sailed the Victory twice on the Western Caribbean itinerary. Loved it...the Aegean and the Piano Bars were our favorite! Say hi to Scotty if he is still singing at the piano...fun times:)! You should have some great sailing weather...Enjoy!

Dolfans from Miami

Across the square from the Hermitage is The General Staff Building of The Russian Army

Europe09319_zps1964a09c.jpg

Victory and her six-horsed chariot

Europe09313_zpsdc3e8046.jpg

The Hermitage is one of the world's great art museums and is entered by The State (Jordan, or Ambassador's) Staircase with our private guide Gennadiy

Europe09121-001.jpg

One of my favorite statues is The death of Adonis

Europe09156.jpg

A visit to their fantasic website to preplan your favorite stops is the way to go before you go. Their photography is professional grade.

http://www.hermitagemuseum.org/html_En/00/hm0_2.html

Thanks for providing the great tip and website for the Hermitage! I would have never thought of doing that! Great advise and thanks for sharing your beautiful photos. :)

Dolfans from Miami

You're welcome ! Glad to share and help if we can. Another great web site for St. Petersburg is http://www.inyourpocket.com/russia/st-petersburg?city%5Bredirect%5D=0&go=Go

If you click on the free download there is a wealth of infomation on St. Pete and many other European cities.

Returning to our photo gallery, as we look across the river Neva from in front of the Hermitage, we see the Peter and Paul Fortress (more later) . This is the docks for many of the river cruises.

Europe09044_zps70f61eca.jpg

If you turn right and walk you will pass a few buildings , including the Marble Palace. As you reach the Troitsky Bridge , if you make a right you will see the Field of Mars. At the center is the Monument to Revolutionary Fighters wher a number of the Bolsheviks are buried. In the distance we see one of the crown jewels of St. Petersburg- The Church of the Savioon Spilled Blood.

IMG_3840_zpsa90d0bc2.jpg

Here's a few from the front

Europe09334.jpg

Every trip should include the interior mosaics

SpilledBlood_zpsc56e3db7.jpg

and a video

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful photos/video and your wealth of information with us. This is so helpful in preparing for my upcoming visit in June!:). I am sharing the link to this thread with the members of my roll call as well. Thanks again for all your efforts. We greatly appreciate it ;)!

Dolfans from Miami

To add to what our South Florida friend has posted on St. Petersburg and its many great options, here are a few more from my "library" of our 2008 highlights. Will do two different groups to help build up this great collection and boost excitement for this historic and beautiful city.

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Celebrity Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 120,749 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

Here is my view of the Grand Staircase at St. Petersburg’s Hermitage. It was restored after the fire of 1837. This white marble staircase is divided into two flights with ten solid columns of granite supporting the vaults of the staircase. Full of light and gleaming with gilding and mirrors, the staircase extends for the whole height of the Winter Palace. The painted ceiling is by 18th-century artist Diziano Gasparo representing the gods of Olympus Olympus. This gives an impression of an additional height to the staircase. The décor of the staircase includes monumental sculptures brought by Peter the Great from Italy. In the 18th century the staircase was known as the Ambassadorial Staircase because the envoys of foreign countries ascended it when going to the palace for official receptions.:

1A-StP-HermitageGrandStairs.jpg

Private, personal tours can be worth it, especially in St. Petersburg. Here our group of four, with our guide, Jane or Zhenya from Anastasia, we are viewing and learning more about one of the two da Vinci masterpieces (Madonna Litta or Madonna and Child) at the Hermitage after an early admission. There are only 14 such painting by this artist existing in the whole world. We did an early admission at the Hermitage, lessening the crowd battles and adding to the enjoyment in this spectacular place/set of five palaces AND museum. It is both! This Madonna and Child was probably painted in Milan, where the artist moved in 1482. The Madonna's tender gaze as she looks at her son, and the tranquillity of the distant mountainous landscape, reflect humanist dreams of Ideal Man and a Harmonious Life. Experts says the painting reveals great beauty in its coloring and composition. The painting came to the Czar's collection and museum in 1865 from the collection of Count Antonio Litta in Milan.:

1A-StP-HermitageDaVinciViewing.jpg

Examining closely one of the highly-detailed tables in the vast Hermitage collection that includes much more than just paintings and sculptures. The Russian skills and craftsmanship for such details is amazing and must be seen “up close and personal”. You cannot just walk by quickly and appreciate fully the expert workmanship!:

1A-StP-HermitageTableViewing.jpg

As we entered Catherine's Palace in St. Petersburg, here was the welcoming band. This Rococo summer residence of the Russian Czars is located in the town of Pushkin, 15 miles SE of St. Petersburg. The residence originated in 1717, when Catherine I engaged a German architect to construct a summer palace for her pleasure. In 1752, Empress Anna found her mother's residence outdated and had her court architect demolish the old structure and replace it with a much grander edifice in a flamboyant Rococo style. Construction lasted for four years and in 1756 the new 325-meter-long palace amazed courtiers, foreign ambassadors and other visitors. During Elizabeth's lifetime, the palace was famed for its lavish exterior, including more than 100 kilograms of gold used to gild the sophisticated stucco façade and numerous statues erected on the roof.:

1A-StP-WelcomeCath.jpg

At Catherine's Palace, here is the spectacular Amber Room when my camera accidentally went off and captured this view.:

A-StP-CathPalAmberRm.jpg

Here is a unique angle for the spectacular fountains and water from the spectacular Peterhof outside of St. Petersburg. The greatest technological achievement of Peterhof is that all of the fountains operate without the use of pumps. Water is supplied from natural springs and collects in reservoirs in the Upper Gardens. This elevation difference creates the pressure driving most of the fountains for the Lower Gardens, including the Grand Cascade.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount2.jpg

Here are a few addition of my pictures from St. Petersburg. So many great and grand options there in this famed Russian city.

Does this help feed the "junkie" desire for more? Either in preparing for your first visit there or to relive the great memories from being there?

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 97,088 views.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here is a wider shot of the Spilled Blood Church interior in St. Petersburg. Its exterior design is more traditionally "Russian" or Orthodox than St. Isaac. Spilled Blood or the Cathedral of the Resurrection of Christ was built on the site along a canal where Tsar Alexander II was assassinated in 1881 and its building was dedicated to his memory. Construction began in 1883 and was completed in 1907. This city's architecture is predominantly Baroque and Neoclassical, but this church harkens back to medieval Russian architecture in the spirit of St. Basil's Cathedral in Moscow. The Church contains over 7500 square metres of mosaics, among the most for any church in the world. It suffered much damage during the Russian Revolution and World War II, but was reopened in 1997, after 27 years of restoration. The results are beautiful!!:

1A-StP-SpilledBld.jpg

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here are two different examples of its highly-detailed designs:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled2Bld.jpg

One of the many fountains on the grounds of the Peterhof is the Orangery Fountain, depicting Triton fighting a sea monster. There is a cafe there with outdoor seating and super views where we ate outside and had our lunch.:

1A-StP-PeterhofFount4.jpg

Here is an overall view of the size and scale of St. Isaac's interior in St. Petersburg. It is the largest Russian Orthodox cathedral in this historic city and was dedicated to Saint Isaac of Dalmatia, a patron saint of Peter the Great. The cathedral took 40 years to construct, 1818 to 1858, under direction of a French architect. During Soviet rule, it was nearly destroyed and was made into a Museum of Scientific Atheism. It has been restored to its religious beauty/role. The cathedral's main dome tops out at 333 feet and is plated with pure gold.:

1A-StP-StIsaacInt.jpg

A closer look at a part of St. Isaac's interior, including the eight columns of semiprecious stone including six of the green malachite and two smaller ones of lazurite. Internal features such as columns, pilasters, floor and statue of Montferrand are composed of multicolored granites and marbles gathered from all parts of Russia.:

StPIssacCathGreenColumns.jpg

what a great thread! Thank you so much for sharing! I wish I had this while planning my first visit!

Thanks bochata for you kind words. After our cruise in 2006 we felt like we missed alot so we planned a B2B transatlantic/baltic in 2009. That morphed , using the same budget , into a TA / St. Pete stay. Maybe there's one in your future !

Thanks again for sharing your wonderful photos/video and your wealth of information with us. This is so helpful in preparing for my upcoming visit in June!:). I am sharing the link to this thread with the members of my roll call as well. Thanks again for all your efforts. We greatly appreciate it ;)!

Dolfans from Miami

You're welcome, we're glad we can help. Hopefully you can narrow your choices for your upcoming trip. There is SO much to see and do ! You'll have a blast !

You're welcome, we're glad we can help. Hopefully you can narrow your choices for your upcoming trip. There is SO much to see and do ! You'll have a blast !

Thanks! I don't mean to get ahead of you, but did you happen to visit the Grand Choral Synagogue? Any thoughts on adding this to our tour?

Dolfans from Miami

Thanks Terry for sharing your wonderful pictures !

Here's a different perspective of Spilled Blood - in the Fall

IMG_3775-001_zps4b324d16.jpg

Psychedelic pineapples ?

Europe09336_zpse1435000.jpg

After dark - no tripod so it's a little blurry

IMG_2571.jpg

Outside of the church there is a bridge that newlyweds attach a lock with the date and throw the key into the river. To celebrate our 35th I plan on attaching a lock with the dates when we return this Fall.

Europe09Pat181_zps10b5a2d4.jpg

Thanks! I don't mean to get ahead of you, but did you happen to visit the Grand Choral Synagogue? Any thoughts on adding this to our tour?

Dolfans from Miami

It's on our short list for the Fall , but we have not been there yet. Also Moscow , Kronstat , Russian Museum , Tikhvin Cemetery and a visit to a country Dascha with lunch. These are first time events.