Can anyone suggest a good double-stroller that is compact and durable for Europe?

Kidsoftheseas

I used a MacLaren side-by-side umbrella stroller in Europe when my twins were 5/6. Sturdy enough for cobblestones even with older kids inside, but collapsed easy and had a shoulder strap for when I needed to carry it up/down staircases, etc. Highly recommend it.

I also brought a little Pottette potty. Was so nice to not be at the mercy of icky bathrooms or have to stop and go find one quickly, as often happens with young kids. It folds up small and light and fit easy in my backpack.

Best,

Mia

I also brought a little Pottette potty. Was so nice to not be at the mercy of icky bathrooms or have to stop and go find one quickly' date=' as often happens with young kids. It folds up small and light and fit easy in my backpack.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Wow, that's a good idea. Never would have thought about bringing one of those. My granddaughter is autistic and one of her hang ups is toilets. It's all we can do to get her to go at Disneyland. We have to try to go at toilets that don't automatically flush. Port-a-toities are really a tough issue. She doesn't even like it if there is a kleenix in the toilet at home.

I am trying to buy a good stroller (that can help with 2 kids, 6 and 3) while in Europe this Spring.

Have any of you tried/used any brands that you can highly recommend?

Where exactly are you going in Europe? I live in Europe and never see side-by-side doubles. They just won't fit through narrow doorways. Remember, there's no ADA laws in Europe. Doorways don't have to be wide enough for a wheelchair. There's curbs, stairs and other obstacles.

And be prepared that everyone is going to look funny at you. I can't imagine a European parent pushing a non-handicapped 6yo in a stroller. Most children are out of strollers by age 3 even. In my area, preschool starts at 2.5 years of age and kids walk to school (with their parents, of course).

Why not try a single stroller with an attached buggy board or Peg Perego with steps on the back that your 6yo can jump on. Although you will have to watch the weight limit. Usually those are for a 2-4yo to be on the back.

And be prepared that everyone is going to look funny at you. I can't imagine a European parent pushing a non-handicapped 6yo in a stroller. Most children are out of strollers by age 3 even. In my area, preschool starts at 2.5 years of age and kids walk to school (with their parents, of course).

We're in the States and my girls also started preschool at 2.5 and walked to school, but it doesn't take them 6-8 hours to walk there, the way we're out walking all day while touring. If "everyone" in Europe was rude enough to give us a funny look, I didn't notice it - without exception they were warm and wonderful. I was glad to have the stroller so that when they wanted to rest, they could sit but we could keep exploring.

dijid, we don't use a stroller at all ever for regular day life either. But anytime we've gone to disney world we've rented a stroller and have been extremely thankful for it. Whenever there is a lot of walking involved, day after day, it just creates a different situation.

I have lived in Europe also, and its great when everything is close and you can just hop on a variety of public transport options when something isn't within walking distance. But going on a vacation there where we will be walking and sightseeing all day is going to be a little different and knowing my kids at some point it is easy to predict that they will want to rest, and as Kerry's Girls said it would be great to have a stroller vs having to carry them. Even if we don't use it much, it is probably better to have one just in case - as many here have said the stroller was a life saver for them.

luvsviola, I LOVE the Baby Joggers - I have rented a double one of those in the past, but they are so expensive to buy, not sure I can justify just for this trip. However, it truly is an amazing stroller with everything you could ask for and I do love the full canopy.

How about 2 single ones? They are so much easier than a double. When our twins were little we always left the double at home when we went on holiday and took 2 singles. Meant we get in places easier, no struggling through small doors, and an extra benefit for us was that people couldn't see they were twins as easy so we could enjoy our holiday without being stopped all the time lol. And on some days you may only need 1 so could leave the other in the cabin. If you do want a double then a baby jogger city micro would be great if you can find one. You can only buy them 2nd hand in the UK now but they fold smaller than a city mini but have lots of the benefits and are half the price. I struggled pushing an umbrella fold pushchair once my twins were 18mth old so I could never push a 3 and 6 year old in one. But I could just be weak lol

But I'd either take 2 singles or a single and a buggy board so the 3yr old can go in the buggy and the older one can jump on the board if they're tired. My twins are 3 now and my youngest is 1 and we have no double, just a single and a buggy board that they can swap between if they''re tired

Here's another vote for a Maclaren....... and the Pottette! Even with a boy, the Pottette is great and saved us having to hunt for a bathroom. He's older now, but we still have it in the car for when it's not socially acceptable to just go in the bushes!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived