Different Style of Passengers in Different Classes?

Smokeyham

I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?

For instance, I met expect an older, more affluent (and perhaps more formal) group in the Queen's Grill than in Britannia. Is this a fair assumption?

No, it would be a false assumption. I really think that you would be very hard pressed indeed to work out, from appearances or casual conversation, whether someone was travelling Grills or Britannia (or anywhere in between). The only way you would know would be if you asked them.

J

I hope this question will be taken in the spirit which it is intended, which is a genuinie request for information to help make a decision on what class of accommodations might be best suited for me to enjoy a passage.

Generally speaking, if one was to book a transatlantic crossing are their different types of people who to be found in the Queen's Grill, Princess Grill and Britannia?

I would say you can find a fairly mixed demographic in all of them. There are passengers in QG and PG who are splurging as a one time thing, and there are those in Britannia who may be from all walks of life who don't want to spend enormous amounts of cash to cross, and/or who cross frequently and would find QG 2x a year every year to be too large a chunk from their income.

Cunard is attracting many, many more tourists to Britannia on QM2 now, just to keep her filled, and quite a few, as mentioned, book the Grills as well, as an occasional or one time thing. There used to be more, shall we say, "impoverished aristocrat" types on QE2, mostly in Caronia, and in Britannia the first couple of years of QM2's launch.

The kind of demographic you are talking about in the Grills might tend to be more prevalent on the World Cruises, and on QE and QV, although there are some on QM2 as well.

I would say you can find a fairly mixed demographic in all of them. There are passengers in QG and PG who are splurging as a one time thing, and there are those in Britannia who may be from all walks of life who don't want to spend enormous amounts of cash to cross, and/or who cross frequently and would find QG 2x a year every year to be too large a chunk from their income.

Cunard is attracting many, many more tourists to Britannia on QM2 now, just to keep her filled, and quite a few, as mentioned, book the Grills as well, as an occasional or one time thing. There used to be more, shall we say, "impoverished aristocrat" types on QE2, mostly in Caronia, and in Britannia the first couple of years of QM2's launch.

The kind of demographic you are talking about in the Grills might tend to be more prevalent on the World Cruises, and on QE and QV, although there are some on QM2 as well.

Thanks... The feedback is really helpful!

What class of accommodations do you think will make you happy? As far as I have seen, you will see no difference, the general population of a Cunard ship is older, well dressed and well mannered and I don't believe that accommodations are chosen by most passengers for any other reason than what those accommodations offer. I saw no snobbery by anyone in any class accommodation. Affluence never has been discussed, at least when I have been aboard.

I have never found it on QV - we have never been able to tell Grills passengers from Britannia. I doubt if it is obvious on QE either.

As we've done Queens/Princess Grills & Britannia, I'm hard pressed to see any real difference. On trips with more British aboard, I've seen more of them in the Grills. On Our trip in 2006, many of the Brits got some kind of really reduced fare. there was a real difference in their "class" if you will. The "Cockney" were in Britannia, mainly inside staterooms. The more "formal" types definatly were in the Grills. We never quite saw anything like it. The 2 groups definatly didn't mix. It actually was kind of amusing.

I think you will find the same mix of "class" in The Grills and Britannia.

The choice is really, how much do you wish to pay for your cabin. Remember all passengers share the same public rooms, theatre etc.

Personally I have champagne taste, in everything but money, for that I am I regret to say D8/D7 grade of cabin. I have been fortunate to receive some free upgrades but only within Britannia not the Grills

Choose the type and style of cabin you will be happy with, and can afford. It is true you do receive more elegant service in the Grills, and I would love to travel that way again ( I did so in the past , but now it is impossible financially).

Have a wonderful cruise whichever cabin grade you choose.

As an type of postscript, a certain British Earl, was a taxi cab driver in a European city before he inherited the title, and all he received was the title, no money, no land,no house. I think in fact that he still drives the same cab in the same city as before.If he travelled on QV on the same cruise as myself , I think he would be in an inside cabin, just like myself!.

I never ask "which grade of cabin" and would not wish anyone to ask me that question either.

We use our American Express points for a TA a few years back. We had enough points for PG but went with Britannia as we wanted an inside hull balcony and to be lower in the ship. For us the trip was free, and we still went Britannia.

Don't get me wrong - we like luxury. We stayed at Claridge's for four nights before the TA. (On my dime, not Amex.) But we bypassed PG for the stability of a B3 cabin.

The "Cockney" were in Britannia, mainly inside staterooms. The more "formal" types definatly were in the Grills. We never quite saw anything like it. The 2 groups definatly didn't mix. It actually was kind of amusing.

Lor' luv us guv! You are a caution an' no mistake, aintcha? But you're right about us cheery Cockneys. We know our place, you won't find us up in the Chilterns - we'll all be dahn in the hereditary taking our turn on the barns, innit!

Well, gotta luv ya an' leave ya - I 'ave to sew some more buttons on me Pearly King suit. Gotta 'ave it ready for our next Howard - wouldn't want to mess up on the ole dress code would I now?

:D:D

J

Lor' luv us guv! You are a caution an' no mistake, aintcha? But you're right about us cheery Cockneys. We know our place, you won't find us up in the Chilterns - we'll all be dahn in the hereditary taking out turn on the barns, innit!

Well, gotta luv ya an' leave ya - I 'ave to sew some more buttons on me Pearly King suit. Gotta 'ave it ready for our next Howard - wouldn't want to mess up on the ole dress code would I now?

:D:D

J

I will act as interpreter for Mr Cruachan:-

Chilterns = Chiltern Hills = Grills

Hereditary = Hereditary Peerage = Steerage

Barns = Barn Doors = Oars

Howard = Howard Hughes = Cruise.

This is rhyming scottish slang at its best.:D:eek::D

I will act as interpreter for Mr Cruachan:-

Chilterns = Chiltern Hills = Grills

Hereditary = Hereditary Peerage = Steerage

Barns = Barn Doors = Oars

Howard = Howard Hughes = Cruise.

This is rhyming scottish slang at its best.:D:eek::D

Oh I say - dash it all, Captain. You've given away my ethnic origins.

An 'ere ah foat ah sahnded pretty offentic, innit!

:D:D:D

J

Would you not agree, Keef, that hoi polloi are, perhaps, more inclined towards threats of violence and thus easily identifiable?

Sir Martin

In which case ar Keef should fit right in. Did he not once brag about dragging somebody out of a lift by the nose?

SS

Oh I say - dash it all, Captain. You've given away my ethnic origins.

An 'ere ah foat ah sahnded pretty offentic, innit!

:D:D:D

J

Gawdon Bennet! I 'ave seen what da classes know their place. They spend most ov their time on da ship rowing. OK?

On my QM2 cruise last year we had a very nice and exceptionally funny, if slightly odd British couple at our table in the Britannia. They had an inside cabin down in the ship and said they travel Cunard now and then, especially when there´s a good offer. When we left the ship, I saw them drive off in the latest 400.000 $ Bentley. Brand new car I tell you, I´m from the business.

There are multimillionaires who travel economy, and relatively "normal" people enjoying First (Grill) class, even if it is only once in a lifetime.

On my QM2 cruise last year we had a very nice and exceptionally funny, if slightly odd British couple at our table in the Britannia. They had an inside cabin down in the ship and said they travel Cunard now and then, especially when there´s a good offer. When we left the ship, I saw them drive off in the latest 400.000 $ Bentley. Brand new car I tell you, I´m from the business.

There are multimillionaires who travel economy, and relatively "normal" people enjoying First (Grill) class, even if it is only once in a lifetime.

That's how they stay multimillionaires! A cruise (or crossing) lasts but a few days, but a Bentley lasts forever (well, relatively speaking). ;)

Archived