Quilt Shops in Alaska

e095521

Anyone shopped at any of the quilt shops in Ketchikan, Juneau or Skagway as your shore excursion? I've got them mapped out for our trip in August but wondered if there are any other quilters on the board here that had to have their fabric fix while in Alaska? Any favorite ones? What whales - where's the fabric? icon_razz.gif

Linda

Hi Lisa - well I found The Silver Thimble in Ketchikan, Dirce Ann's Fabrics, Crocus Creek Quilts, Changing Tides, The Rushin' Tailor in Skagway and RainTree Quilting in Juneau. Not sure if they all have web sites but I plan to check them all out....always take an extra suitcase or bag for the fabric...others can have their totems, jewelry and t-shirts...give me fabric. I've collected it in several places in Europe too and have my friends who travel bring it back. Someday I'll make a quilt using all those exotic fabrics.

Anyway, Looks like you'll be heading to Alaska before I will so can you put it on your list to check out?? icon_smile.gif We're on the 8/22 Sapphire Princess cruise.

Linda

Linda,

WOW! This thread is making a great trip even greater...I did a few searches on the quilt shops. Check out the pictures of these shops - fabric here WE come!

Direct websites:

The Silver Thimble

The Rushin' Tailor - Broadway between 6th & 7th

Changing Tides - 3rd between Broadway & State

RainTree

Seams Like Home (Anchorage)

No website for Dirce Ann's

I will provide a review of the shops I visit when I return icon_smile.gif

Lisa

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=000080&cdt=2004;7;19;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800

July 19 - Dawn Princess

Hi, quilters! I'll get there first--arriving Fairbanks June 28, cruising on Island Princess July 3-10, headed to Skagway, Juneau and Ketchikan. Thanks for the great info on shops--I've made a list and expect to hit each of them. I'll try to save some fabric for you!

Will do a quilt shop review for you when I get back.

Thanks for the info on the quilt shops! I'm planning on making a stop at the one in Juneau and the one in Ketchikan, but I'm not going to Skagway or Anchorage :( Our cruise is Sept 5th from Vancouver, so I'll be looking forward to all your reviews of the shops! Now, I have to hope that my mother doesn't find this thread, as I'm planning to try to surprise her with this special shopping opportunity! Here's hoping! ;)

What a great thread!!

In Vancouver (actually Surrey), try Wineberry Fabrics Its a bit of a drive BUT its an amazing store - I've seen tours from Australia and England visit the store. Imagine a tour of fabric stores. Ahhhh, the good life :)

I'll try to save some fabric for you!

:::gasp::: Please do ;)

Lisa

LOL! My mother would fit right in with you guys. On our trip last year I thought, "Ooo, mom would like this place," a lot. You're only missing shops in the interior. There's one in Glennallen in the basement of the outdoor equipment store. And then there's Calico Whale Fabrics in Valdez. This year we're going back and mom will be with us. We all can't wait! (only two more weeks)

To my fellow fabriholics - I've spent tonight cleaning out my studio so I can make room for new fabrics....and patterns...like I really need anymore! But you all understand....will be anxiously awaiting the reviews of those of you who go first!! If any of you are going to be in Seattle before/after your cruise...we've got wonderful shops...I'd be glad to recommend a few. There is one at Pike Place Market that is great....Undercover Quilts.

Linda

Sapphire Princess 8/22

There is a great quilt shop right behind the Sophie Station Hotel in Fairbanks. If I can find the name of the shop I will post it later. Our Celebrity Cruise/Land Package used this hotel and you could walk to the shop in a minute or less.

I hope you all post here your experiences after return from your cruises and your visits to the quilt shops. I, too, am an avid quilter and have all the quilt shops staked out in the various ports. My mom and I will be on the Diamond Princess Sept 11-18. These discussion threads sure help in passing the time....I can't wait!!!!:)

I meant to add a short bit about what happened on my RCCI cruise in 2002. One of the more avid quilters aboard went to the cruise director and asked if they could add a note into the daily info sheet that quilters should meet in the bar at a certain time. About 20 of us showed up and did we have a whale of a time. A couple of us have emailed ever since. It was such a good idea that I am going to try it on my next cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

I just picked up a pattern this afternoon and am going to plan a shopping list for fabric while in Alaska. Its helping pass the time until someone posts a review ;)

This is going to be a great part of my trip :)

Lisa

PS: Saw Christmas fabric in the store today!

Just finished rearranging all the fabric in my sewing room...wow, I really shouldn't be allowed to enter a fabric shop anywhere...much less in Alaska....:) I should be shopping for a pattern only in Alaska and make it from something in my stash...yeah, right!! I bet you are getting excited...don't you leave on the 19th or so?

Linda

Yes, I leave on July 19 :)

And we are anxiously awaiting the first port (Ketchikan) though just found out this morning that we will be tendering there...geesh, first cruise and at the first port we tender.

I am ignoring the closet full of fabric and planning my fabric shopping spree accordingly...I see fabric, I buy fabric :) Also, I'd love to see the patterns. No one can have too much fabric or patterns. And I never can pass by a Christmas pattern.

I will post reviews as able :) Is there anything in particular anyone is looking for?

Lisa

As promised, I left you all some fabric. Only got to 4 quilt shops but enjoyed the visits. You won't need an extra suitcase--they'll ship it home for you.

These stores are all small and jammed full of stuff, lots of gifts was well as quilting supplies. They are designed for the tourist dollar, not full-service quilt shops like you might expect at home. The shops in Anchorage and Fairbanks may be more full service.

Skagway: best by far, The Rushin' Tailor, on Broadway, between 6th and 7th, right next to North to Alaska, a gift shop with nice things. She has many bolts of beautiful batiks, lots of flannels, lots of fabrics with Alaskan/Northern motifs. Many patterns and kits--especially kits of Mckenna Ryan patterns, block of the month and singles. I bought a kit of a block of the month, $199 complete--couldn't help myself.

Skagway: went on to Dirce Ann's Fabrics, 8th Ave, between Main and State--it was nice to get off the bustling Broadway to see actual homes and gardens--only a few short blocks from The Rushin' Tailor. The shop is upstairs in a small house next door to a church. She had lots of fabrics--mostly older things, not the latest and greatest. However, she had a shelf of orientals on sale for 30% off so I did a little damage there at $7.60/yd--these were mostly Hoffman Orientals. Books were all 40% off--you might find one you've been looking for.

Skagway: Changin' Tides, 3rd between Broadway and State, a couple short blocks from Dirce Ann's, back toward the main "gift shop row". Some batiks, same as Rushin' Tailor, some flannels, not as much selection, more jewelry and gifts. Back of the shop is cross-stitch--many Alaskan/northen patterns. I bought nothing here.

Ketchikan: The Silver Thimble, second floor of the Salmon Landing Market building, all the way at the end of the main street that borders the ship dock. More of a full-service shop, small but packed with many bolts of fabric. Some patterns, books, notions. I bought 3 pieces of light batiks--always hard to find. There is an elevator if you need that.

Bead shops: right across the hall from the Silver Thimble was a great bead shop! Newly into beads, I did a little damage there. The owner was very helpful and prices were reasonable.

Talkeetna: DH spotted a sign for a quilt shop as we entered town. Love him! Mostly, quilts for sale, but some bolts, and some patterns/books. Mostly, a 3 story gift shop with good gifts--locally made, not all from China like so many things we saw. Good prices. It's a small town, the shop is just before the "Welcome to Talkeetna" sign, on the right as you enter town.

Bead shop in Talkeetna--oh, my! Small shop, great stuff, bought a collection of beads in purples--could tell we were approaching it by the men standing around outside--not a "guy" store at all. Just before you get to the train station on the way out of town.

That's all I mananged to get to in 14 days but it was enough to prevent withdrawal. I had prepared many small 8-pointed stars to hand piece on this trip--only found time to do one--it took 1 hr, 45 minutes--there was so much to see and do in Alaska, I'll save my $ for a return trip and piece those little stars at home.

Enjoy your adventure!

Barbara

Thank you for the fabric store review :) I will keep your commentary in mind when I am visiting the same fabric stores next week.

I found an adorable Christmas pattern on the weekend that has many fabric needs <heehee> Did you notice if there were many Christmas prints?

Lisa

Thanks for the great review, Barbara. I have it printed out and put in the file with our cruise docs. Can't wait to see the shops...now that my fabric is re-organized I have room for more!!! And Lisa, we'll be waiting for your review too when you get back. Have a great cruise! (Lots of Christmas fabric out in the Seattle shops already too).

Linda

what a great idea to have the ship's paper arrange a quilter's meeting! great idea! will have to do that on Amsterdam August 8th. both myself and my best friend are quilters and on the cruise...anyone else?

also...does anyone have any other quilt or bead shop suggestions..I think there's one in Sitka near the russian church. but what about Juneau..anything near the cruise docks?

anniecat and her MOM

Amsterdam August 8

Archived