a few hints & observations TA 04 27 12

dfwguy

This is not a full review of our completed Westbound TA 04 27 12. However, I would like to post a few tips and observations that might help optimize your future QM2 experience.

In random order.

Hot bouillon is self served on cold days at the aft pool (Terrace bar)

When disembarking you must turn in your room key.

Coffee is not bad. I brought Starbucks VIA packets and did not use them

Check out the dogs kennels when they have exercise time -deck 12 -aft section

Loved the Canyon Ranch selections - I often ordered a single item from the CR offerings in conjunction to my regular meal and was never,ever dissapointed.

Kings Court (KC)- la Piazza has a shelf that displays daily menus for the venues -including Britannia.

Buffet selections in KC- all 4 restaurants serve slightly different items for breakfast and lunch.

We liked the fruit smoothies and pizza available at Chefs Gally -KC

Lotus serves more seafood and has Asian condiments available 24/7

Hamburgers & hot dogs available at carvery in afternoon

Check out Homer Simpson in the mural - hint- He is on the N. American panel

KC does an afternoon tea -(aprox 3-5)

grab a tray- pick your own scones, finger sandwiches, etc and head down to Wintergarden.

Wintergarden broadcasts important soccer matches on a big portable screen.

We bought a drink card- loved it-Brought our own big insulated 32 oz. lidded cups - Bartenders never raised an eyebrow when we used these for our soda refills.

Connexions -on the 2nd floor also has coffee, juice machines

Juice selection differs in Connexions from KC

Bridge courses must be taken in order (we learned too late) - If taking a course- start on day 1

Planetarium- consenus is "passport to the Universe" show is weakest - Only 2 shows presented on our 7 days.

Planetarium tickets- Show up at connexions desk- 9 am-

tickets are in a self-serve stand and go quickly.

RADA-Unlike planetraium shows, RADA does not repeat shows- We had 2 shows during our 7 days.

State room number is NOT on your key card- for security

Our stated check in time was 3: 30 - we arrived Southampton terminal, 11:30 and were on ship enjoying lunch by 1 pm.

There is no shopping in terminal bldg. I needed aspirin and a few other things - had to purchase on ship.

Limited selection of toiletry items in QM2 shops- if in doubt, bring your own.

Forgot my bowtie- cheapest available was $32 in Mayfair shops.

You must drop off checked luggage before entering terminal-not after.

You can have breakfast items in Sir Samuels.

Saddest, biggest dissapointment.I was truly looking forward to having 7 days of menus as souvenir. Sadly, you must ask waiter at beginning of voyage to save your menus- We did not do this. I am still sad about this.

We brought 3 bottles of our own wine including 1 bottle champagne for our room, and would do it again.

We went to G32 and Queens room during the mornings/early afternoon- grabbed a table by the portholes and had the rooms to ourselves.

I wil post a detailed review later. if anyone has questions, I will be happy to try and answer

You mention breakfast items in Sir Samuels, could you please elaborate, whenever I have gone there it has only been croissants or muffins (minus butter). Has QM2 extemded the menu in there, I love Sir Samuels.

Smoothies were not available on my last cruise on QM2, do you pay for these?

Thank you

You mention breakfast items in Sir Samuels, could you please elaborate, whenever I have gone there it has only been croissants or muffins (minus butter). Has QM2 extemded the menu in there, I love Sir Samuels.

Smoothies were not available on my last cruise on QM2, do you pay for these?

Thank you

To clarify, Sir Samuels had little quiche and muffin type items, but not really big breakfast fare. We went to Britannia for breakfast a few times, but stopped going. We preferred KC. The smoothies were freshly made and lined up on the buffet line at chef galley- no charge. They had a big "healthy options" sign posted - No charges for any of these items . They had healthy boxed cereals and juices , such as tomato juice, grapefruit, soy milk, etc

It's strange how things can differ from ship to ship. Smoothies are always available in the Lido on the QV and QE at breakfast time. So they should be in the King's Court on the QM2.

Thanks for the interesting observations from your crossing. As someone who has always collected room key cards from my various voyages I am saddened that we can not keep them on Cunard. I recently sailed on the Queen Mary 2 after an absence of several years and was disheartened when the ship officer asked for my card as I disembarked. I always get to keep them from other lines that I travel on frequently. Does anyone know why they require you to turn them in? Thank you.

Thanks for the interesting observations from your crossing. As someone who has always collected room key cards from my various voyages I am saddened that we can not keep them on Cunard. I recently sailed on the Queen Mary 2 after an absence of several years and was disheartened when the ship officer asked for my card as I disembarked. I always get to keep them from other lines that I travel on frequently. Does anyone know why they require you to turn them in? Thank you.

I can't answer the 'why', however I lost my card on day 3. Pursers desk reissued my card. Day 5, I found my missing card. I now have a souvenir in the missing card.

I can't answer the 'why', however I lost my card on day 3. Pursers desk reissued my card. Day 5, I found my missing card. I now have a souvenir in the missing card.

I was going to mention that I have heard of several that have "lost" their key cards a couple of days out just for that souvenir.:eek::D I really can't fathom the reason for them taking them up as they are "turned off" when you leave for the last time.

Thats what I do as well, I have every key from every voyage

Thats what I do as well, I have every key from every voyage

Bad, bad boys.:eek::D Have to admit, we have ours too. Guess we will be strip searched the next time for admitting this.:eek::D

... I really can't fathom the reason for them taking them up as they are "turned off" when you leave for the last time.

Could be for port security, as waving a stateroom card is usually all it takes to get to the gangways. It's more stringent at embarkation ports but in the Caribbean or at Liverpool dockside security hardly glanced at mine. The only thing they were looking for was the Cunrad logo.

It's strange how things can differ from ship to ship. Smoothies are always available in the Lido on the QV and QE at breakfast time. So they should be in the King's Court on the QM2...

Actually dfwguy just said that they were: "The smoothies were freshly made and lined up on the buffet line at chef galley- no charge." Why breakfast would vary ship to ship could be due to the itinerary - on a TA nobody is leaving in the morning for a shore excursion.

Thanks dfwguy I have copied and saved your tips as quite a few of my questions have been answered, such as tea time, could not think how I would get DH into the white gloved area for his beloved scones, now I know he can go and get his own. If he had to wait for them to come to him, he might have had a fit:rolleyes:

Bad, bad boys.:eek::D Have to admit, we have ours too. Guess we will be strip searched the next time for admitting this.:eek::D

Maybe, but you just have to have them all, they are all deactivated anyway:)

But we are bad :eek:

Maybe, but you just have to have them all, they are all deactivated anyway:)

But we are bad :eek:

Yes, they make the album. Have to have them, even if the picture makes me look like Geraldo on a bad day.:eek:

We did a b2b last year and got our menus at the end of each sailing (and we didn't ask for them). We were in the Brittania Club. I agree, also love Canyon Ranch (both the spa and the meals).

C

Actually dfwguy just said that they were: "The smoothies were freshly made and lined up on the buffet line at chef galley- no charge." Why breakfast would vary ship to ship could be due to the itinerary - on a TA nobody is leaving in the morning for a shore excursion.

Yes I read that. I meant the general area of the King's Court. Isn't the Chef's Galley a separate area? I only ever poked my nose in there once.

Another thing seemingly different is the clotted cream - you get it on the QE but apparently not on the QM2. :)

Yes I read that. I meant the general area of the King's Court. Isn't the Chef's Galley a separate area? I only ever poked my nose in there once.

Another thing seemingly different is the clotted cream - you get it on the QE but apparently not on the QM2. :)

Chefs Galley within KC is open to all during breakfast/lunch. I enjoyed the pizza. They also do pasta- cooked to order. In addition, Chefs Galley has a bank of televisions on the wall. All broadcasting -silently- the news programs with the captions turned on.

Saddest, biggest dissapointment.I was truly looking forward to having 7 days of menus as souvenir. Sadly, you must ask waiter at beginning of voyage to save your menus- We did not do this. I am still sad about this.
This is very surprising because we've always gotten them whether we requested them or not (we asked on our first cruise not realizing that the waiters (usually) save them anyway). Maybe your waiter was inexperienced or having a bad week...

Chefs Galley within KC is open to all during breakfast/lunch. I enjoyed the pizza. They also do pasta- cooked to order. In addition, Chefs Galley has a bank of televisions on the wall. All broadcasting -silently- the news programs with the captions turned on.

In the evening at the dinner demonstration those televisions show you what the chef is doing from all angles while he speaks to you through a sound system. We enjoyed the steak frites dinner demonstration on the Southampton-Cape Town segment back in January.

They have about 4 different dinner demonstrations and they cost the $10 fee charged for KC dinner. But there are only about 30 seats so best to reserve early.

This is very surprising because we've always gotten them whether we requested them or not (we asked on our first cruise not realizing that the waiters (usually) save them anyway). Maybe your waiter was inexperienced or having a bad week...

Hi Underwatr, Yes, we also recieved the menu packet for each of our voyages, but from what I understand, the practice has changed. Perhaps because so many packets were found in cabin waste paper baskets? It does add to luggage weigh, so passengers tend to toss what isn't essential (or worth paying added fees to airlines...or shelping to the parking lot).

I'd love to have a recipe for one specific dish that I really enjoyed on each voyage, rather than all the menu's from each dinner, but I realize that isn't practical. Cheers, -S.

I think many people ask for a set of menus from their first voyage as a reminder, or to show family/friends who will ask "what was the food like?"

At the end of one crossing I was given a set (not asked for) which included menus for meals that I hadn't had (dined elsewhere on board).

As they are not now being given to passengers as a matter of course, the weight/cost of paper, and the fuss of printing menus with a "use-by" date on them, how long before the date at the top of the page is removed, they are sealed in “wipe-clean” plastic, and re-used time and again? After all, they already repeat the same dishes. Even now there is a bean-counter somewhere working out how to further diminish the "on-board experience". It will be sold as "go-green menus".

Thank you for all these tips... very helpful. One question please,what if any is the difference between Brittania Club dining and the main dining room. I have noticed that it only has a Your Time Dining and one sitting. Thank you!!

S.H.R.

Archived