If government shuts down-- Can you fly?

Bowie MeMe

Seems customs, TSA, flight controllers and who knows who else are government employees? If the government closes down will I be able to fly to Europe? Many of my neighbors are pretty worried. Worst thing is that all these little cogs in the machinery are real people with bills to pay.

And I am a real person wanting to fly on April 11:p

Remember how everyone says that "essential services" will continue. ICE will continue to be in business. ATC will be in business.

Sidebar thought.....if the government will continue "essential services" during a shutdown, does that therefore mean that everything else, by definition, is "non-essential"? And if it's non-essential, why are we doing it? Hmmmm.

Remember how everyone says that "essential services" will continue. ICE will continue to be in business. ATC will be in business.

Sidebar thought.....if the government will continue "essential services" during a shutdown, does that therefore mean that everything else, by definition, is "non-essential"? And if it's non-essential, why are we doing it? Hmmmm.

What's essential to one person may seem non-essential to another. There was, I believe, a move to eliminate several military bands during budget negotiations this year, but the move was eliminated. Others feel that food inspections can be cut, and controls on pollution eliminated. During the shutdown of a few years ago, national parks were shut (except for those through which some highways ran through, such as Death Valley). I guess we could just increase the entrance fees, or get rid of the parks, and let the private sector run them (make them theme parks?).

Seems customs, TSA, flight controllers and who knows who else are government employees? If the government closes down will I be able to fly to Europe? Many of my neighbors are pretty worried. Worst thing is that all these little cogs in the machinery are real people with bills to pay.

And I am a real person wanting to fly on April 11:p

To answer your question, TSA and customs will continue working. Flights and cruises will be able to depart as scheduled. As far as travel, passport applications will be held up and national parks will be closed.

From everything I have read, the only impact on travel will be that passport and visa applications will not be processed.

Passport & visa applications aren't going to come to a complete stand still, they will just take at LOT longer tp process ;)

Passport & visa applications aren't going to come to a complete stand still, they will just take at LOT longer tp process ;)

I need to EDIT as I just went to the post office.... they just might..better go get in one of the LONG lines forming..:eek:

Archived