laundry on a river cruise

eddiep

Hi All

What does one do for laundry on a river cruise. I noticed in FAQ that no laundry or laundromat facilities on the ship.Do I just pack extra. 12 days is a long time without laundry.

Thks for the info

eddiep

Welcome to the river cruise boards. Have not been on a boat yet that didn't have some type of laundry service. The only selfserve facility we have encountered was on Uniworld's River Countess. If it is a 7 day sailing, you probably won't find self serve. We have had laundry done on our 15 river cruises. There have been no dry cleaning facilities. Check again with your line and specific ship. Pat

We were on Scenic & they did have laundry service but most people just washed their things in the sink ..take wash/wear quickdry items then you do not have to worry

The laundry was quite pricey 650euro for a pr of trousers

We were on Scenic & they did have laundry service but most people just washed their things in the sink ..take wash/wear quickdry items then you do not have to worry

The laundry was quite pricey 650euro for a pr of trousers

I think you mean 6.50 euros, which is about 8USD.

I don't know about the other cruise lines but Viking posts its laundry price lists on its website.

For the convenience of packing in just carry-on luggage, we use the laundry service.

The River Queen (Uniworld) also has a laundry room.

One of the perks for past passengers on Uniworld is that they will do laundry for you once on an 8 day cruise. We did send it out - and it was returned promptly that evening.

We usually do some hand washing when we cruise. We tend to travel lowest category (aka Aquarium Class) and there is often a ledge below the window. So, we can hang laundry in the shower area, or lay it flat to dry below the window.

Can't remember prices - as we have not paid for laundry to be done. However - each cabin usually has a price list posted somewhere.

If you know which line you will be travelling on, you can post a new thread - and ask people to look up the prices for you, and post when they return.

Fran

We have been on a 15 day cruise with Avalon, there was a laundry service,but not available for passengers to do their own.

We took a travel pegless line with us and I'd wash things out of a night in our cabin, hang the line in the shower and they were dry in the morning. We did take clothes with us that were light and easy to dry, easy to do on summer sailings.

Most people we spoke to did their own laundry in their cabins too.

The River Queen (Uniworld) also has a laundry room.

One of the perks for past passengers on Uniworld is that they will do laundry for you once on an 8 day cruise. We did send it out - and it was returned promptly that evening.

We usually do some hand washing when we cruise. We tend to travel lowest category (aka Aquarium Class) and there is often a ledge below the window. So, we can hang laundry in the shower area, or lay it flat to dry below the window.

Can't remember prices - as we have not paid for laundry to be done. However - each cabin usually has a price list posted somewhere.

If you know which line you will be travelling on, you can post a new thread - and ask people to look up the prices for you, and post when they return.

Fran

I wish they all did for past cruisers..

Laundry service is the way to go unless you want to pack tons of clothes or do your undies in the bathroom sink.

It amazes me that people spend $10,000 or more on a river cruise yet they get upset about spending less than $100 for having laundry service. Yes it's a relatively expensive service but so is your trip.

Just put $100 in your vacation budget and you can get a couple of sets or more of clean and pressed items.

If you're a guy try some of the "travel" shirts. Mr Wonderful swears by them as they are long sleeve (hence sun protection) but wick away moisture. He then takes it into the shower with him, washes and rinses it and then rolls it up in the towel. He then hangs it in the closet and it is good to go the next morning (or even later in the evening).

He takes about 4 of them for a river cruise and a couple pair of "zippy" pants.

I've tried them but I do better in cotton tees which I buy at Walmart and especially Old Navy as the material is very light weight and hence dries fast. Also wash undies out so we travel light.

We dry using "clips" on hangers and is the first thing I check upon entering our cabin. I then ask for a few more if there are only 1 or 2 in the closet.

We've tried ship's services but haven't liked the smell of the detergent used. I am not a picky person but any scent in my clothes is a big no-no.

(never understood people who used scented fabric softener and then perfume/cologne....fighting battle for dominance!)

We always wash in the sink every 3 days and hang it on a twisty clothes line we bought at an online travel store. If you must wear an item that has damp edges, dry it with the hair dryer.

Tie some string to the ends of the clothes line for extra length.

cb

One perk of having a suite on Uniworld is unlimited complimentary laundry service.

Sometimes details tend to blur... but I seem to remember at least one shower on a river cruise that had a clothes line built right in. But - can't swear to that.

Fran

Yes, Fran, several cruise lines have the pull-string clothes line in the shower. The last trip that we took, Viking, had one.

Laundry service is the way to go unless you want to pack tons of clothes or do your undies in the bathroom sink.

It amazes me that people spend $10,000 or more on a river cruise yet they get upset about spending less than $100 for having laundry service. Yes it's a relatively expensive service but so is your trip.

Just put $100 in your vacation budget and you can get a couple of sets or more of clean and pressed items.

I agree. Who wants to do your own laundry when on vaxation?

We just got back from a 14 day ocean cruise with an extra day pre cruise. I guess I must pack a lot...we had plenty of underwear and clothes! I didn't have to do laundry-nor did I plan on doing laundry on vacation. However, we did have 2 suitcases and carry on each.

We are going on the Viking Grand European trip in Sept and I am going to try to take less clothes! I will try to wear some things, like black slacks, a couple of times. If I soil the clothers that I plan to wear again, this may be where I will have to use laundry service.

I do agree with those that commented on doing laundry on vacation...not something I prefer doing on my vacation.

We did a 14 day Viking cruise and we rinsed out undies and sox as necessary and hung to dry on the line provided over the shower. Major washing was done once in a laundromat at a town where we stopped for more than one day. We were in Europe for over 5 weeks in Oct/Nov and only took one medium suitcase each.

We did a 14 day Viking cruise and we rinsed out undies and sox as necessary and hung to dry on the line provided over the shower. Major washing was done once in a laundromat at a town where we stopped for more than one day. We were in Europe for over 5 weeks in Oct/Nov and only took one medium suitcase each.

You are my hero! I know I need to get better and packing. I just always add stuff "just in case". My goal for our 18day European trip is to pack much less. You have inspired me!!

I fervently agree with Paulinda and Donray regarding doing one's own laundry whilst on a cruise, either river or ocean. Why on earth would one waste precious cruising (or drinking) time doing hand laundry, when a perfectly decent laundry service is available for a modest (compared to the total expense of the trip) fee?

Another consideration is that the notion of having laundry hanging about in the fairly small cabins of riverboats would make the whole experience seem a bit too "tenement" for my taste. Like many of the other posters on this thread, we travel with easy-care clothing, e.g. Ex Officio and Patagonia, which work very well for hand-washing. However, we choose to use ship/riverboat laundry services, as we don't want to fool with such on a cruise. At home, we are happily masters of the washer & dryer; but on a cruise, we leave such nuisances to the boat's laundry service.

C'mon, people, indulge yourselves just a little bit more! It's your holiday, after all.

Sometimes details tend to blur... but I seem to remember at least one shower on a river cruise that had a clothes line built right in. But - can't swear to that.

Fran

Scenic also has the clothes line

I fervently agree with Paulinda and Donray regarding doing one's own laundry whilst on a cruise, either river or ocean. Why on earth would one waste precious cruising (or drinking) time doing hand laundry, when a perfectly decent laundry service is available for a modest (compared to the total expense of the trip) fee?

Another consideration is that the notion of having laundry hanging about in the fairly small cabins of riverboats would make the whole experience seem a bit too "tenement" for my taste. Like many of the other posters on this thread, we travel with easy-care clothing, e.g. Ex Officio and Patagonia, which work very well for hand-washing. However, we choose to use ship/riverboat laundry services, as we don't want to fool with such on a cruise. At home, we are happily masters of the washer & dryer; but on a cruise, we leave such nuisances to the boat's laundry service.

C'mon, people, indulge yourselves just a little bit more! It's your holiday, after all.

I'm with my old mate Fred here. There too many wines and beers to taste .. err drink ... to be worried about washing time. On our 14 day cruise we sent out washing twice and it was returned in perfect condition. Sure it's not cheap but as Fred said neither is your holiday. Wash less and drink more ....:p

Archived