Hope NCL does'nt follow suit ? yuk

mpk218

I just saw this and I dont know how new it is but,here it is.

I sure hope NCL does not look at similar ideas.

## NEWSFLASH: New Carnival Policy goes in effect August 1st, 2012

Carnival has just announced that effective 8/1/12, they will not allow travel agents to give ANY cash equivalent value-adds (i.e shipboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, gas cards, airline miles, reduced airfare; free or discounted travel insurance, hotel nights, or shore excursions) and will be limiting any booking incentives to a $ 25 pp non-cash equivalent item (like a tote bag, hat, beach towel, memory book, sunglasses and Carnival gifts delivered onboard (Bon Voyage items)). This new policy applies not only to advertising, but all forms of communication, including in-person, phone or any other means. If any travel agent is caught violating the policy, (whether big, small or even a home based agent belonging to a host agency) their commission can be eliminated and they can be put on a "no book" status.

Interesting. Over the past few years, most of the cruiselines have not allow TA's to advertise a price any different than what the cruiseline offers. Some have gotten around this fixed price thing by offering OBC, etc. Call it a discount, rebate, kickback, whatever.

Sure sounds like Carnival is wanting to get into a real control thing. Wasn't it about 2 months ago all uproar over the way they adjusted their loyalty program and reduced people's levels.

Glad I decided several years ago to never try them.

I don't know if there are already threads on this forum regarding this topic, but I figured I would chime in on this. I, for one, am glad about the change, and expect that the rest of the cruise lines will follow suit once they see how Carnival does with it. Many people think it will drive more consumers to book direct, and that is probably true for a certain segment of the population. However, there is ALWAYS going to be a segment of the population that wants to work with a travel agent. This new policy levels out the playing field for many small travel agencies, making it an issue of "quality of service" rather than "how much will I get". If you're going to pay the same price, whether you book direct with the cruise line or through a travel agent, why not go with the personal service of a travel agent.

I don't know if there are already threads on this forum regarding this topic, but I figured I would chime in on this. I, for one, am glad about the change, and expect that the rest of the cruise lines will follow suit once they see how Carnival does with it. Many people think it will drive more consumers to book direct, and that is probably true for a certain segment of the population. However, there is ALWAYS going to be a segment of the population that wants to work with a travel agent. This new policy levels out the playing field for many small travel agencies, making it an issue of "quality of service" rather than "how much will I get". If you're going to pay the same price, whether you book direct with the cruise line or through a travel agent, why not go with the personal service of a travel agent.

Travel agents are dying off due to declining commissions. If they cannot use OBC to get customers people will stop using them. Yes some people will use an agent because they like the service but with less customers an agent will not be able to last.

The generation that uses TA's is slowly aging and traveling less & less. Most of the younger travelers tend to prefer booking themselves via internet. It won't be long before T/A's become obsolete. I can even see the cruise lines following the airlines eventually and stopping commissions to T/A's. JMHO

I think this is sad.

I never do and never will use a travel agent. I have control issues and want to deal with everything myself, so if I have to boot anyone in the butt for not doing appropriate reserach I will be booting myself.

However, some people do not have the knowledge, time, energy, experience or just plain do not want to bother with appropriate research and that is where a good travel agent can priceless to some. So I think to totally discourage TAs by not giving them anything that will give them an edge to stay in business is just plain sad.

I understand that some/most/all (whatever it is) will not allow them to openly price cut is fair. But by not allowing them to throw something in the customer's direction to entice business is wrong.

NCL if this is on the table in your corporate office, I truly wish you would reconsider it. If travel agents are a dying breed as some believe they will disappear themselves with no help from the cruiselines.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4899

7th Paragraph down. I find the last quote in that paragraph oddly funny :rolleyes:

As far as the next paragraph, I have always selected my Travel Agents based on both Expertise/Service COMBINED WITH the lowest Price/Highest Perks. It looks like CCL is removing part of the equation to make things less confusing ?? How kind of them. LOL.

I think this is sad.

I never do and never will use a travel agent. I have control issues and want to deal with everything myself, so if I have to boot anyone in the butt for not doing appropriate reserach I will be booting myself.

However, some people do not have the knowledge, time, energy, experience or just plain do not want to bother with appropriate research and that is where a good travel agent can priceless to some. So I think to totally discourage TAs by not giving them anything that will give them an edge to stay in business is just plain sad.

I understand that some/most/all (whatever it is) will not allow them to openly price cut is fair. But by not allowing them to throw something in the customer's direction to entice business is wrong.

NCL if this is on the table in your corporate office, I truly wish you would reconsider it. If travel agents are a dying breed as some believe they will disappear themselves with no help from the cruiselines.

I have already sent my emails to NCL with similar sentiments. Who cares if the TA wants to give up a piece of their end to make the deal.

This is how business is done . But sadly I see this going the way of the airlines. No TA's period... shame

7th Paragraph down. I find the last quote in that paragraph oddly funny :rolleyes:

As far as the next paragraph, I have always selected my Travel Agents based on both Expertise/Service COMBINED WITH the lowest Price/Highest Perks. It looks like CCL is removing part of the equation to make things less confusing ?? How kind of them. LOL.

Talk about rationalization!

I am surprised that the cruise lines continue to pay commissions which allow travel agencies to give away perks. Cruise ships are pretty cookie cutter nowadays. Ships used to have different cabin sizes in the same category quite often. An agent would have the time and resources to find their clients the larger cabins. There is also no need to go into an agency to look at brochures anymore when everything is online. Folks like me save the cruise lines millions by always booking direct with the line. A group booking would be the only exception in terms of really needing an agency to be involved.

I am surprised that the cruise lines continue to pay commissions which allow travel agencies to give away perks. Cruise ships are pretty cookie cutter nowadays. Ships used to have different cabin sizes in the same category quite often. An agent would have the time and resources to find their clients the larger cabins. There is also no need to go into an agency to look at brochures anymore when everything is online. Folks like me save the cruise lines millions by always booking direct with the line.

It might surprise you then to know that not everyone has the knowledge or access to research and still "need to go into an agency to look at brochures"

I just saw this and I dont know how new it is but,here it is.

I sure hope NCL does not look at similar ideas.

## NEWSFLASH: New Carnival Policy goes in effect August 1st, 2012

Carnival has just announced that effective 8/1/12, they will not allow travel agents to give ANY cash equivalent value-adds (i.e shipboard credit, pre-paid gratuities, gas cards, airline miles, reduced airfare; free or discounted travel insurance, hotel nights, or shore excursions) and will be limiting any booking incentives to a $ 25 pp non-cash equivalent item (like a tote bag, hat, beach towel, memory book, sunglasses and Carnival gifts delivered onboard (Bon Voyage items)). This new policy applies not only to advertising, but all forms of communication, including in-person, phone or any other means. If any travel agent is caught violating the policy, (whether big, small or even a home based agent belonging to a host agency) their commission can be eliminated and they can be put on a "no book" status.

For me it doesn't matter because a Swedish TA doesn't give me anything anyway. Maybe the prices on things on board will be lower if not lots of people have gigantic OBC's to spend?

The generation that uses TA's is slowly aging and traveling less & less. Most of the younger travelers tend to prefer booking themselves via internet. It won't be long before T/A's become obsolete. I can even see the cruise lines following the airlines eventually and stopping commissions to T/A's. JMHO

I'm getting older and travel more and spend more on each trip! If I only shall book a cruise and it's in Europe, I don't mind booking it myself on ncl.eu but if I shall have airline tickets and hotels in the US I prefer to use a TA. It feels good to have someone to contact in case something goes wrong!

Can't say I disagree with this.

The price you pay shopuld be the same, no matter who you book with.

Why? Don't use the "fair" word as that is another word for lack of imagination, and is the argument of the weak.

Our country was built on competition in the free enterprise system and I say do what you can to be successful.

Everyone should work his or her best deal. Travel agents or any business should be able to control how they market a product. They can also decide to do what Carnival is apparently doing. NO price changes at all. Worked well for Saturn, huh?

Thank goodness that is only a handful of businesses that market that way. Apple gets away with it but even designer lines have "factory stores" that discount their goods.

I, for one, am glad we have choices!

Going with a TA was much less for us than booking direct on ncl.com with the same OBC and gift extras that ncl.com was offering.

I believe it was because they got us a group rate. The difference (14.6%) was too much to ignore and paid for a cabana on GSC and half the Aquaventure (or whatever they call it) at Atlantis.

No TA could get us that much of a discount on Carnival which was the main reason we chose NCL.

Why? Don't use the "fair" word as that is another word for lack of imagination, and is the argument of the weak.

Our country was built on competition in the free enterprise system and I say do what you can to be successful.

Everyone should work his or her best deal. Travel agents or any business should be able to control how they market a product. They can also decide to do what Carnival is apparently doing. NO price changes at all. Worked well for Saturn, huh?

Thank goodness that is only a handful of businesses that market that way. Apple gets away with it but even designer lines have "factory stores" that discount their goods.

I, for one, am glad we have choices!

Not sure I get your argument since one minute you say a business should be able to do what it wants then you slam Carnival for doing what wants.

And honestly Saturn's problems had little to do with its one price structure and more to do with a bad product line.

to Quote John Heald " It's BRILLIANT MATE " LOL

I have only been on Carnival cruises, my 4th one coming up on October, and when planning my following one it will not be with Carnival. I am getting tired of all the changes, which are not for the better, and are only benefiting Carnival. I started looking around at RCL and NCL and really like what NCL has to offer. Looking forward to trying them out.

I used to book with TAs, but they are no longer in business, since about the time Airlines took away a large chunk of their commissions for bookings.

Looks like the cruiselines are going to hasten the TAs demise even more. Even on-line TAs, that give incentives will be hard pressed to stay in business. If someone is savvy enough to go on-line to look for a cruise, they will be able to book directly with the cruiselines.

Even NCL won't let you use TA non-refundable OBC or NCL OBC for the DSC. You have to actually purchase something to use those OBC.

I no longer use TAs, I just book online be it Carnival, NCL, Princess or HAL. Then have no-one to blame but myself or the cruiseline if there are errors.

Worked well for Saturn, huh?

I don't see the point of this comment. Saturn went away because GM gave up on the line and started making cheap crappy cars that no one wanted to buy. :D

That is a somewhat different situation than CCL wanting to control their product more.

Archived