Gem delayed, itinerary change??

lidodeckfan

A quick question with the cruise delayed two days, what do you think NCL will do to change the itinerary? Was scheduled to visit SJ, STT, SXM & DR on consecutive nights starting on Thursday ? Drop SJ & continue with remaining or totally different?

A quick question with the cruise delayed two days, what do you think NCL will do to change the itinerary? Was scheduled to visit SJ, STT, SXM & DR on consecutive nights starting on Thursday ? Drop SJ & continue with remaining or totally different?

That stinks, they are loosing two days.

I don't think anyone can tell until the port re-opens and NCL can figure out when the Gem can return and then depart.

It like 6 pm. Still don't know when the ship is leaving. Do I pack???

Not enought days to do PR, ST.T and ST M. Just like some answers!!!!

We'll know shortly after the government opens the port. I am not even sure the cruise ship terminal has electricity either. I am sure everyone involved is doing the best they can.

We'll know shortly after the government opens the port. I am not even sure the cruise ship terminal has electricity either. I am sure everyone involved is doing the best they can.

The last update from port was no power, and no timeframe for when this will be repaired.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gem was diverted to another port.

It like 6 pm. Still don't know when the ship is leaving. Do I pack???

Not enought days to do PR, ST.T and ST M. Just like some answers!!!!

I understand your frustration, but no one knows when the port will open.

You can make some educated guesses on the itinerary.

If the Gem departs on Thursday, she needs to return on the following Wednesday. That's 6 days, probably only enough time to visit 1 port.

One of the problems is that if she tries to make an unscheduled visit to a port, there may not be a berth for her. So I think they would try to keep the same schedule.

A guess: If you depart on Thursday, you will visit Samana on the scheduled day and return to NYC. If you depart after that, it will be a sea cruise, i.e. no ports.

You will be refunded for all port charges not visited, as well as a prorated refund of the cruise cost. I think they will give you some OBC to spend on the cruise and I wouldn't be at all surprised if you get (and I think you should request) a discount on a future cruise. Start by asking for 50% off a future cruise.

The last update from port was no power, and no timeframe for when this will be repaired.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Gem was diverted to another port.

I think if NYC is not open before Thursday, they will go to Boston. Disclaimer: I have no inside info, this and the following is all conjecture.

If they do that, then the 10/28 sailing might be canceled and I think they'd sell a brief 2-3 day CTN out of Boston and maybe a 2-nighter Boston to NYC on Monday. Those would be bargains for anyone who can jump on them.

Who knows? Nobody at this point.

Hurricane Sandy Update

Tuesday, October 30, 2012 at 5 pm ET

At Norwegian Cruise Line, the safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. As a result of Hurricane Sandy’s devastating impact on New York City, the Port of New York remains closed and the opening date and time is uncertain.

Therefore, Norwegian Gem will call in Boston tomorrow, Wednesday, October 31, at 9...:30 am to take on provisions and fuel. Guests will have the opportunity to go ashore in Boston. The ship will depart Boston at 3 pm and sail toward New York and remain at sea until the Port of New York reopens. Norwegian Gem’s Captain will continue to keep guests informed.

Guests who wish to disembark in Boston may do so. For those guests who purchased air through Norwegian, we will assist with re-booking their air travel subject to availability as Logan International Airport is open. We are also offering complimentary phone and internet services for guests.

We are awaiting word from officials as to when the Port of New York will open and will communicate with our guests as soon as the information becomes available. At this point, we are anticipating that the Port will re-open on Thursday or Friday. Guests who were scheduled to sail on Norwegian Gem’s October 29 cruise should continue to check ncl.com for the latest information.

We appreciate our guests’ understanding and patience during these unprecedented weather-related circumstances.

I was just reading on a news website that the museum complex next to where The Gem usually docks has been damaged. The story just says "damaged" but not to what extend. Then you have the tanker that has run aground near the harbor entrance. Prayers for everyone involved. A lot of very decisions yet to be made.

From Facebook:

Norwegian Cruise Line

All of us at Norwegian are deeply saddened by the impact of Hurricane Sandy; our sincere thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the storm. Shortly, we will provide an update on Norwegian Gem’s itinerary and expected arrival. We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding in the meantime.

From Facebook:

Norwegian Cruise Line

All of us at Norwegian are deeply saddened by the impact of Hurricane Sandy; our sincere thoughts are with everyone who has been affected by the storm. Shortly, we will provide an update on Norwegian Gem’s itinerary and expected arrival. We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding in the meantime.

See post #12

I joined this forum to express my displeasure on the way Norwegian is handling this week's Gem's sailing. I cannot overstate how unhappy I am with the process and how unprofessional the line is handling the situation. While I understand we are experiencing unprecedented devastation, Norwegian is leaving its passengers in limbo. By sending the Miracle out a day early and comping passengers for the extra incurred expenses of travel, Carnival got its 8 day cruise out of NYC successfully. So instead of being at sea right now, I'm sitting home on my couch wondering when and if we'll embark. My vacation time off from work, money, and other expenses are out the window. And every time I call Norwegian, all they can do is read what is posted on their website and tell me to standby... Yeah, thanks- I can read too. I'll just sit here wasting my time until you come up with an alternate game plan. I might get a 4 day cruise out this is I'm lucky.

I joined this forum to express my displeasure on the way Norwegian is handling this week's Gem's sailing. I cannot overstate how unhappy I am with the process and how unprofessional the line is handling the situation. While I understand we are experiencing unprecedented devastation, Norwegian is leaving its passengers in limbo. By sending the Miracle out a day early and comping passengers for the extra incurred expenses of travel, Carnival got its 8 day cruise out of NYC successfully. So instead of being at sea right now, I'm sitting home on my couch wondering when and if we'll embark. My vacation time off from work, money, and other expenses are out the window. And every time I call Norwegian, all they can do is read what is posted on their website and tell me to standby... Yeah, thanks- I can read too. I'll just sit here wasting my time until you come up with an alternate game plan. I might get a 4 day cruise out this is I'm lucky.

And what is your suggestion for an ideal solution?

Please explain what behavior was unprofessional during this, as you say, unprecendented devastation. Get a grip.

A hurricane hit NYC. The port is closed. The Port Authority does not know when it will re-open. What can NCL do?

NCL will reimburse you for missing days. And your trip insurance will compensate you for any expenses, unless you chose to self-insure.

Cancel the cruise all together and issuing credit for another. Don't leave passengers sitting around without answers.

I'm sure they will give you that opportunity when they find out how and when they can get this hip back to NYC and get the current passengers off the ship, many I'm sure who want to be home now.

I can only imagine your frustration but please don't take it out on the phone reps. There's only so much they can do. I worked in an airline reservation office on 9/11/01 and the days following and the uncertainty is unpleasant for all involved--the passengers and the reps.

Please explain what behavior was unprofessional during this, as you say, unprecendented devastation. Get a grip.

Genious, turn on a TV. Flooding, power outages...

What was unprofessional, genius? NCL had control over the flooding and power outages?

Archived