Carnival Cruise Etiquette 101

picklebongo

One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

Id like to add one...

When walking in the cabin hallways in the middle of the night...dont have a discussion with your outdoor voice! I had someone right outside my cabin door at 2 am talking in extended lengthabout their plans for the morning. Finally opened my cabin door and yelled "SHUT UP!" lol...I was halfway asleep but they did shut up!:D

Please do not eat or drink in the pools/hot tubs. Seen the mess...

No swimmers/pull ups in the pools/hot tubs.

Please do not sign-up for the "balcony club." We don't want to hear it.

If your group is in multiple cabins, please either use the phone or walk to the other cabin--do not yell from room to room.....seen this on Princess.

Please do not take more food at the buffet than you expect to eat...no need to be wasteful.

Please remember that you are not the only person on the ship. The other 2000 passengers also paid to be here.

Please do not run in the passageways...this creates a lot of noise in neighboring cabins....you have no idea when people may be napping.

Please return to the ship on time...I'd hate to have to laugh watching you run down the pier as the ship is casting off!

For some elderly cruisers, please do not complain about children onboard a cruise marketed to families....dodging Hoverounds is no fun either.

For those who like to stay up late.....enjoy the evening, but please remember that not everyone stays up until 3am--keep the noise level to a respectable volume.

While at the buffet, please make your selection and move along, other people are here for breakfast/lunch/dinner, etc.

I can't think of anything else at the moment....

when did a cruise ship become a library.

one rule: when you book a cruise, realize you are paying to share a ship. those that you share with have quirks you may not be used to.

save your rules for where you are in total control, like home. trying to instill them in public is fruitless. there are no hall moniters.

and let those enforcing the law enforce it.

I don't behave any differently on a ship than I do at home. I know there are lines and I will get my turn, so no use grumbling. I say please and thank you, allow someone in a wheelchair or walker to enter the elevator before me...I can wait or take the stairs. Most everything is common courtesy. My mother, however, has little patience, especially when waiting in line. Many times, we'll find a seat and I'll go get her coffee or whatever she wants. I know her knees hurt when waiting in line and can get short tempered, so I try to avert any negative comments. On the other hand, I do not like when some parents do not watch their kids and allow them to become out of control. Have fun, yes, but being monsters, no. Also, some elderly do feel that they can run over you with their scooters. This has nothing to do with age...it's manners. It would be nice if everyone were a little more courteous, but never gonna happen. I'll just sit back and enjoy another DOD while everyone fights for the buffet or Wok...I'll get in line when the others have filled their trough of food.

I don't behave any differently on a ship than I do at home. I know there are lines and I will get my turn, so no use grumbling. I say please and thank you, allow someone in a wheelchair or walker to enter the elevator before me...I can wait or take the stairs. Most everything is common courtesy. My mother, however, has little patience, especially when waiting in line. Many times, we'll find a seat and I'll go get her coffee or whatever she wants. I know her knees hurt when waiting in line and can get short tempered, so I try to avert any negative comments. On the other hand, I do not like when some parents do not watch their kids and allow them to become out of control. Have fun, yes, but being monsters, no. Also, some elderly do feel that they can run over you with their scooters. This has nothing to do with age...it's manners. It would be nice if everyone were a little more courteous, but never gonna happen. I'll just sit back and enjoy another DOD while everyone fights for the buffet or Wok...I'll get in line when the others have filled their trough of food.

You are absolutely right, virturally every "etiquette expectation" are simple every day courtesy norms that many people seem to abandon on a ship.

We can't talk in the elevators?!! Is someone napping in there?

That is a new one.

Just imagine, a jam packed elevator, two people get on, they are not squeezed next to year other, and trying to hold a conversation over everybody else. It''s annoying and quite rude in my opinion. If one is able to hold a conversation quietly, sure, but not when you have to speak over people who aren't next to you. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a short elevator ride is over?

3.If you order a bottle of wine, consider sharing with the other diners. (I know some will disagree with this, but to me this is just good etiquette.)

Is rule 3a. "If you order a cocktail at a bar, consider buying one for the stranger next to you, it's just good etiquette."?

Just imagine, a jam packed elevator, two people get on, they are not squeezed next to year other, and trying to hold a conversation over everybody else. It''s annoying and quite rude in my opinion. If one is able to hold a conversation quietly, sure, but not when you have to speak over people who aren't next to you. What could be so important that it couldn't wait until a short elevator ride is over?

Why are two people getting into an already jammed packed elevator?

Etiquette dictates if elevator is full, wait for the next one.

That is not how you original posted "suggested etiquette expections' #4. You made it sound like we should all stand in awkward silence.

What you're saying now is totally different, and I still don't know if I agree.

One of the things everybody has in common when they are on a ship is that they are on vacation. I thought it would be helpful for veteran cruisers to generate some general etiquette expectations for the novice cruisers.

Of course there are the obvious ones such as: no saving seats, arrive on time for dinner in the MDR, don't slam cabin doors, hands out of the buffet trays, waiting for occupants to exit the elevator before attempting to enter, etc.

I'll start by generating a few suggested etiquette expectations of cruising:

1. Don't complain while waiting in line for tenders, meals, etc. When people are on vacation, they don't want to hear your grumbling/complaining about what isn't right or what cruise line does a better job than Carnival at whatever. This is a downer.

2.Don't cut in line or save a spot for folks, who then show up and there are ten in the party. Asking the person directly behind you if they mind doesn't count. What if the next person minds?

4. When entering an elevator that is darn near packed, please cease your conversation upon entering and resume it when you exit. Everybody doesn't want to hear what you have to say.

5. If you are on the Lido, where alot of folks are circling with their trays trying to find a spot to sit and eat, please consider vacating your spot if you are playing cards, dominoes or reading a book. There are lots of other areas for activities such as this.

Ummm... you are kidding, right?

Good luck getting others to behave as you see fit. Keep in mind that only a small fraction of cruisers are members of C.C., so you're basically preaching to the choir. Also, those that are members don't read each and every post on here. While I agree that good manners and common sense go a long, it's unrealistic to expect everyone on a cruise ship will act and behave as you think they should. You'd be surprised how things are much more tolerable after a few D.O.D's.:cool::D

Please return to the ship on time...I'd hate to have to laugh watching you run down the pier as the ship is casting off!

For some elderly cruisers, please do not complain about children onboard a cruise marketed to families....dodging Hoverounds is no fun either.

Hahahahaha

Cozumel is considered the port where the most number of people are left behind because they miss the ship. The number one cause of missing the ship in Coz is drinking.

I think one of the funniest things to watch is the running of the drunks to catch the ship at the last minute. I have seen people falling flat on their faces on the pier and not getting up. Two people running and holding up someone passed out in between them.

We usually stake out a nice viewing area with a tasty drink.

I'll say this much about talking in a crowded elevator-- if you insist, PLEASE make sure you don't have Death Breath. A woman who works on my floor has breath that could kill a cockroach, and she's quite the Chatty Cathy in the elevator; if I happen to be in there with her, I have to breathe through my mouth until we get out. :eek:

We can't talk in the elevators?!! Is someone napping in there?

That is a new one.

I know exactly what pickle is talking about. No problem with talking, but I have been privy to some conversations that would make you blush! No need for that.

I dislike when people use elevators to go up or down only 1 floor (perfectly healthy and young people).

My wife and I vow to always take the stairs, but there are times you need to use the elevator when needing to go up or down 8 levels. So when i see people going up or down 1 floor, I want to explode

I'll say this much about talking in a crowded elevator-- if you insist, PLEASE make sure you don't have Death Breath. A woman who works on my floor has breath that could kill a cockroach, and she's quite the Chatty Cathy in the elevator; if I happen to be in there with her, I have to breathe through my mouth until we get out. :eek:

give her the gum you would otherwise give your room steward.

If it takes you more than 5 seconds to remove yourself from the bottom of the waterslide once you go down, you shouldn't be on it!;)

If you are going to walk on the jogging track, stay on one side so that you don't clog up the whole thing for those of us who DO run.

Archived