Cancel Insurance/Cancel Cruise at the last minute

Sohker

Has anyone had to cancel a cruise a few days before the sailing date? We have cruise insurance covering medical. We are a family of 4 (2 people per cabin) and one of us is ill and probably will not be able to make the cruise. So we all will not be going.

Is it difficult to prove a medical issue to be reimbursed?

Has anyone had to cancel a cruise a few days before the sailing date? We have cruise insurance covering medical. We are a family of 4 (2 people per cabin) and one of us is ill and probably will not be able to make the cruise. So we all will not be going.

Is it difficult to prove a medical issue to be reimbursed?

I am sorry you won't be able to go on your cruise.

The one time we had to cancel a cruise, it involved a broken foot which required corrective surgery. It happened a couple of weeks before the cruise. I don't think we obtained a specific letter from the physician because the other documentation we had was sufficient (evidence of the injury, need for surgery, etc.). The insurance reimbursed us for the cost of the cruise, plus the non refundable airfare and a few other items if I recall. It certainly made us believers in travel insurance.

Depending on the nature of your situation, you might want to be sure you are covered by having documentation of a doctor visit, as well as documentation of the doctor's advice to not go on the cruise.

Hopefully others will be able to share their experiences and advice.

I think you need to read your insurance policy very closely. You mentioned specifically medical coverage. Extra medical insurance tends to cover if something happens while you are on the cruise. Like a trip to the hospital while in port.

If it doesn't have cancel for any reason for all members of your party then you will not get refunded. You would basically be a no show.

I think you need to read your insurance policy very closely. You mentioned specifically medical coverage. Extra medical insurance tends to cover if something happens while you are on the cruise. Like a trip to the hospital while in port.

If it doesn't have cancel for any reason for all members of your party then you will not get refunded. You would basically be a no show.

That is what I thought too. That is why I am a believer in the cancel at anytime insurance. Even though you may not get refunded but get cruise credit for most of what you have paid.

To the person who posted they got refunded for the entire family because only one had a medical issue, that is excellent insurance. Never heard of that before.

I'm sorry, but the statement bolded above is not correct.

To the OP, please contact your insurance carrier immediately, and explain your current circumstances. They will advise you whether or not you are covered for that specific circumstance (chances are that you ARE covered). The carrier will give you a list of what they require as substantiation of your claim, at which point you can request the necessary documentation from the attending physician.

I have sadly had to cancel a cruise just two days prior to sailing, as a result of the imminent death of a family member. When I called the carrier they were both compassionate and helpful, walking me through precisely what to do and how to do it. Hopefully your experience will be the same.

Here's wishing a speedy recovery to the affected family member, a swift resolution to your claim, and a prompt rescheduling of your missed cruise.

If you only have medical insurance it will not cover the costs of cancelling the cruise.You must have Cancellation Insurance for this purpose.If you purchased the cruise line's cancellation policy it generally includes medical but only applies once you have commened your cruise.

In your own best interest contact the insurance agent/company to determine what the policy covers.

Hope things work out in your favour.

Last year we had to cancel our cruise 11 days before it was to begin.

DH had a medical issue.

We had no special insurance other than what the ship offered.

The dr had to fill out a very short form.

It took less than a month to get reimbursed fully (minus the small cost we paid for the insurance).

Thank you for all your responses. No airfare is involved, the policy says we are covered if we have to cancel for a medical reason. I called the insurance company and they said I'm covered but there are forms that have to be filled out and submitted.

So sorry that you had to cancel the cruise. We had a similar experience last Jan. DH fell and broke his ankle and leg on some black ice just a few weeks before the cruise. We only had NCL basic insurance and the company was very prompt about sending us the forms the Dr. had to fill out and send back along with the other required documents. NCL provided me with the number. It took a little longer than normal because the insurance co. was dealing with lots of Sandy claims. In due time, we received all our money back (both of us) minus the cost of the insurance. Hope this helps and hope you can enjoy another cruise in the near future.

Thank you for all your responses. No airfare is involved, the policy says we are covered if we have to cancel for a medical reason. I called the insurance company and they said I'm covered but there are forms that have to be filled out and submitted.

Outstanding. I'm sorry you have to miss your cruise but sooo happy you don't lose your money. :)

That is what I thought too. That is why I am a believer in the cancel at anytime insurance. Even though you may not get refunded but get cruise credit for most of what you have paid.

To the person who posted they got refunded for the entire family because only one had a medical issue, that is excellent insurance. Never heard of that before.

Huh? Many travel insurance policies include cancel for medical reasons. And it usually extends to those traveling with you and to situations involving your immediate family (usually defined similarly to employer benefits for funeral leave.)

It may not be included with all policies based on the type of coverage you select, but this coverage is not uncommon. It's a feature that I always make sure is included when I purchase insurance, and it's on most policies that I review.

What people do need to realize is that if the situation requiring cancellation is due to a pre-existing condition, you must have purchased insurance that includes the pre-existing condition waiver.

Does anyone have suggestions on what travel insurance companies are easy to work with vs. bad. Also where can I find the best rate? New at this...

People here have mentioned insure my trip dot com several times, there you can compete and compare different companies and policies based on your requirements - be sure to read carefully T&C of each.

Everyone feeling better looks like it is a go for tomorrow at this time. THX everyone for your support. Insurance said if I had to cancel I can do it up to the time the ship leaves.

I've used insure my trip dot com before but this time I only wanted trip cancellation for medical issues including past issues and coverage in case someone became ill on the cruise. I bought the policy within 24 hours of purchasing the cruise so it covered prior medical conditions. I used the insurance through my travel agent which came out to be less expensive.

Everyone feeling better looks like it is a go for tomorrow at this time. THX everyone for your support. Insurance said if I had to cancel I can do it up to the time the ship leaves.

I've used insure my trip dot com before but this time I only wanted trip cancellation for medical issues including past issues and coverage in case someone became ill on the cruise. I bought the policy within 24 hours of purchasing the cruise so it covered prior medical conditions. I used the insurance through my travel agent which came out to be less expensive.

Well wishes for everyone to stay healthy on your cruise. Enjoy!!! :)

Archived