Verizon cell phone service in Bermuda

jackdis

Hi Everyone! Will our Verizon cell phones work while we are in Bermuda? We will be on NCL Crown from NY. Thanks....

Yes, they will -- make sure you call Verizon ahead of time and let them know you'll be making international calls -- they have to set your cell phone up to do that. Sorry I don't remember what the charges were, but I'm certain it's much less than what you'd pay on the ship!

Enjoy Bermuda! It's a beautiful place!

Ditto. Verizon did work for us on our last years crown to bermuda cruise. I did call verizon in advance to let them know we'd be in bermuda, stupid me didn't check the charges BUT there was no difference in my phone bill so thats a good thing. Enjoy your cruise, the crown is awesome as is Bermuda

Yes, I too called Verizon, and they said I would have to get international calling put on my phone (at no charge), and then to call from Bermuda would be $1.29/min. Is there any other charge? I just don't want to get home and have a huge phone bill! A few 5 min. calls wouldn't be bad. Does that $1.29/min charge cover when we are calling from the ship while it is in port?

Thanks for any help!

Verizon from Bermuda $1.29/min

Verizon from the ship (Crown) $2.49/min

Where are you getting the ship rate from? Is that price standard for all NCL ships heading to/from Bermuda or just the Crown only?

Where are you getting the ship rate from? Is that price standard for all NCL ships heading to/from Bermuda or just the Crown only?

The ship rates and country rates can be found on the Verizon Wireless web site under international roaming. They list every ship that has service available and every country that has service available. They also show the rates.

Yes, I too called Verizon, and they said I would have to get international calling put on my phone (at no charge), and then to call from Bermuda would be $1.29/min. Is there any other charge? I just don't want to get home and have a huge phone bill! A few 5 min. calls wouldn't be bad. Does that $1.29/min charge cover when we are calling from the ship while it is in port?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, when you are in port in Bermuda you pay the Bermuda roaming rate rate. They can't turn on the ship service unless they are out of port and out of range of Bermuda cell towers.

That's great info Charles, thanks!

Though I'm starting to see that Int'l roaming in Bermuda which I added and the service I-Dial (needed on the ship) look like 2 different things. I'll have to call verizon and confirm this.

I-Dial appears to have a contract requirement and since we are not out of the country that much at all I don't think getting that added service for 3 days at sea is worth it.

That's great info Charles, thanks!

Though I'm starting to see that Int'l roaming in Bermuda which I added and the service I-Dial (needed on the ship) look like 2 different things. I'll have to call verizon and confirm this.

I-Dial appears to have a contract requirement and since we are not out of the country that much at all I don't think getting that added service for 3 days at sea is worth it.

Nevermind. I mis-read the terms. I-Dial is int'l roaming. Just talked to Verizon. Once you have int'l roaming you are covered while in Bermuda at $1.29 per minute and at sea $2.49 per minute while on the Norwegian Majesty.

Your Verizon cell phone will work in Bermuda. The only thing is that they charge you for roaming which is very expensive. I wouldn't recommend using your cell phone in Bermuda.

• 3 years later...

1.99/per minute from Bermuda back to the States. International calling must be activated on your phone in advance. From Ship to Verizon to States is more per minute.

Text messages sent from Bermuda are 50 cents each regardless of your plan while home. Texts received are 5 cents each regardless of your plan while home.

you need to make sure your specific phone has the international capability - my Blackberry doesn't (not a world edition one). I went into the local Verizon storefront to have mine turned on for international and found that little tidbit out. I am getting a rental to use for my cruise from them. they are shipping it out to me (9.95) and I can use it for 21 days and have 30 days to return it free of charge. They will also email you info on the charges and the breakdown of calls/emails/text prices

My advice is don't wait until the last minute to do this.

you need to make sure your specific phone has the international capability - my Blackberry doesn't (not a world edition one). I went into the local Verizon storefront to have mine turned on for international and found that little tidbit out. I am getting a rental to use for my cruise from them. they are shipping it out to me (9.95) and I can use it for 21 days and have 30 days to return it free of charge. They will also email you info on the charges and the breakdown of calls/emails/text prices

My advice is don't wait until the last minute to do this.

Verizon cell phones can roam in Bermuda. There is a compatible CDMA network there. No need to rent a phone for Bermuda..

Archived