Are Cruise line still visiting Alexandria?

hwake88

My friend and I had booked the 7 night Pullmatur Zenith for 1st October 2012 specifically for Egypt and they suddenly changed the itinerary to something completely different! No reason was given at all for the change.

We have now switched to the 11 night 29th September on the MSC Poesia that is calling at Alexandria.

I also saw that the Norwegian Jade has a nice 11 night itinerary that includes 2 days in Alexandria, round-trip from Rome on 20th October.

Prices for both the Poesia and the Jade were about the same for a balcony with the discounted TA that I use and I thought they were both excellent deals. I just wasn't as impressed with the reviews I've read on the Jade and thought the MSC cruise I took this past March was excellent, so went with that line again.

My friend and I had booked the 7 night Pullmatur Zenith for 1st October 2012 specifically for Egypt and they suddenly changed the itinerary to something completely different! No reason was given at all for the change.

We have now switched to the 11 night 29th September on the MSC Poesia that is calling at Alexandria.

I also saw that the Norwegian Jade has a nice 11 night itinerary that includes 2 days in Alexandria, round-trip from Rome on 20th October.

Prices for both the Poesia and the Jade were about the same for a balcony with the discounted TA that I use and I thought they were both excellent deals. I just wasn't as impressed with the reviews I've read on the Jade and thought the MSC cruise I took this past March was excellent, so went with that line again.

Well the Jade is a whole lot better than the Poesia. A different class alltogether.

• 2 weeks later...
I see many lines are SCHEDULING visits to Alexandria but my REAL question should have been "are they actually going there?"

Friends did a Christmas/New Year on P&O that was scheduled for Alexandria, and no they did not go there. I would guess that cruise lines are making a decision on a month to month basis, so in the forseeable future I would think actually getting there is definitely dubious.

• 2 weeks later...

Currently 6 Americans are being held in Cairo who work for several NGOs-one was stopped at the Cairo airport.

I would not want to be a tourist there since even their "connections" cant help them.

We were very lucky to have made the port in October on Princess and that window of opportunity may soon close permanently.

We did a Princess cruise that stopped in Alexandria at the end of May shortly after the US lifted travel restrictions to Egypt. We were there on a Friday (their Holy Day when they have been protesting the most) and so the police made all tours be back inside the port area by 1:00 p.m. and we were locked down inside the port for the rest of the day. There was a market inside the port that we were able to shop at, but mostly just spent the remainder of the time on the ship. We stayed in port as long as listed on the itinerary as we were waiting for the Princess overnight tours to return to the ship. I did not feel unsafe in Alexandria (I am female and was traveling with my 17 year old daughter), but there were members of our tour group who got a little uneasy and were ready to be back to the ship once the call to worship started playing from all the mosques. We did a tour with Ramses and they did a great job. We had friends that went out in Alexandria on their own and they said they were very uncomfortable in the city alone.

Currently 6 Americans are being held in Cairo who work for several NGOs-one was stopped at the Cairo airport.

I would not want to be a tourist there since even their "connections" cant help them.

We were very lucky to have made the port in October on Princess and that window of opportunity may soon close permanently.

I've just come back from three weeks travelling around Egypt and had no issues whatsoever. Even though tourism is down 50%, there were plenty of people still travelling around Egypt.

interesting that the Poesia is still showing a stop at alexandria..

the MSC Melody, which originally had a stop in Alexandria during their August 2012 cruises, has changed it to another stop in turkey...

it's funny because the map of the itinerary still shows alexandria, but the cruise details no longer do...

My wife and I were in Egypt in June and we had an experience unlike any that I've read or heard of in recent years. We spent 6 days in the most magnificent sites on this planet practically alone.

It was, of course, a terrible thing to see that many Egyptians whose livelihoods depend on the tourist dollar - and that is a huge number - were indeed suffering, so we did our best to help by dropping our dollars, often buying things we certainly didn't need. But, despite the heartbreak, those of us who have gone to Egypt after the revolution, have had the almost unique opportunity in the last century to see the sites with few (and sometimes no) crowds. It is actually a great time to go and God knows, the Egyptian people need the tourist dollars ... especially to help build the prosperity they need to become the country they want to be.

Since the revolution, no demonstration or police action in Egypt has targeted tourists. No tourists have been kidnapped or harassed in any way and there have been thousands who have visited Egypt since last January, with no incident. Right now, it is arguably much riskier for tourists to travel to Mexico, for instance, where tourists are routinely targeted for theft and worse, than it is to go to Egypt.

As I've said many times on this site, if you are going to wait until there is no risk before you go to Egypt, you will never go. Find a good tour guide company and go! You won't regret it.

• 2 months later...

I'm still trying to find out if the Cruise lines are still calling on Alexandria.

I booked a cruise that was scheduled for a 2 day stop there but we were redirected to Constantinople instead

I would still love to go to Egypt by cruise ship.

I'm still trying to find out if the Cruise lines are still calling on Alexandria.

I booked a cruise that was scheduled for a 2 day stop there but we were redirected to Constantinople instead

I would still love to go to Egypt by cruise ship.

We are scheduled for an overnight in Alexandria on the Crown Princess for May 14 & 15. As far as I know we are still on for that one but I will let you know if they cancel:mad:. I hope not because Cairo is one of the reasons we booked this cruise.

Theo

We're on the Celebrity Solstice in October with two overnights in Egypt plus Petra. Just hoping things are calm then and the itinerary doesn't change. Like someone above said, if we keep waiting for the perfect time to go, we might never make it. So, making plans now and taking our chances........

Crystal Cruises has cancelled it Alexandria port call scheduled for October. Others may follow.

4/3/2012: Crystal Expands Ancient Lands With Haifa and Bodrum This Fall

LOS ANGELES, April 3, 2012 /PRNewswire via COMTEX/ -- Due to political unrest and uncertainty in Egypt, Crystal Cruises has revised its October 12 "Ancient Land and Cultures" voyage to replace its call in Alexandria with a visit to Haifa, Israel and Bodrum, Turkey.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/crystal-expands-ancient-lands-with-haifa-and-bodrum-this-fall-2012-04-03

Archived