2012 Christmas Markets - All Cruise Lines

AZPam

Been a few years since I did a Christmas Markets trip but we are going again this year. Still need to book it though. :rolleyes:

It's always fun to chat with everyone that is going too so let's get this topic open and rolling for discussion.

What line, ship and dates are you going on? Have you done it before? I've been on two trips on the Rhine with GCT. Think we will do the Danube this time around and will bring the husband along for a change. Might not get to do the shopping I like to do when I am with my Mom though! :D

We board the AmaCerto on 11/22 after three days in Budapest. The markets will be open in Budapest and in several of our stops in Germany and Austria, as well as in Prague where we stay for a few days at the end of our trip.

This is our 9th visit to the markets and our 4th holiday river cruise. We are looking forward to new ports: Bratislava, Durnstein, Budapest. And we look forward to returning to old favorites.

It is a fabulous time to be in Europe - can't wait!

Been a few years since I did a Christmas Markets trip but we are going again this year. Still need to book it though. :rolleyes:

It's always fun to chat with everyone that is going too so let's get this topic open and rolling for discussion.

What line, ship and dates are you going on? Have you done it before? I've been on two trips on the Rhine with GCT. Think we will do the Danube this time around and will bring the husband along for a change. Might not get to do the shopping I like to do when I am with my Mom though! :D

Hi Pam -

There is a generic "Christmas Market" roll call for this year... It is down a bit on the Roll Call page, as no postings for a day or so.

Fran

P.S. Did the Rhine 2 years ago... starting to think it is time to go back again :D

Hi Pam -

There is a generic "Christmas Market" roll call for this year... It is down a bit on the Roll Call page, as no postings for a day or so.

Fran

P.S. Did the Rhine 2 years ago... starting to think it is time to go back again :D

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even realize there was a roll call board for the river cruises now.:rolleyes: Shows that it's been too long since I've been on one! :D

Thanks for the heads up. Didn't even realize there was a roll call board for the river cruises now.:rolleyes: Shows that it's been too long since I've been on one! :D

Obviously time to do another one!!

Not always easy to find others on the Roll Calls - given the small number of cabins on each boat. Started a generic roll call for all Russian River cruises that has been really active, and quite helpful for those of us planning to sail in Russia. And, a generic one for 2013 is on the go.

So - a generic Christmas Market 2012 is helpful - especially given the number of companies and itineraries that are available.

Fran

• 2 months later...

Pam, Did you do GCT Christmas cruise? WOndering if excursions to Heidelberg, Redesheim and Liberation are worth the time and money. I am hoping to get to Colmar on our own the day we dock in Breisach. Do you know anything about that? I read one post written about a month ago that people said they took a bus there.

Thanks alot.

Lynda

Pam, Did you do GCT Christmas cruise? WOndering if excursions to Heidelberg, Redesheim and Liberation are worth the time and money. I am hoping to get to Colmar on our own the day we dock in Breisach. Do you know anything about that? I read one post written about a month ago that people said they took a bus there.

Thanks alot.

Lynda

Sorry, I'm not much help. I have done the GCT twice but never did Rudesheim or Liberation. Did do Heidelberg and really enjoyed it. I would also recommend the Bern pre trip if you start out in Basel first.

Hi, was just on Amacerto (for a tour, alas) during a UK travel agent event in Amsterdam and gosh, it's a pretty ship! Wanted to stay....

Carolyn

Carolyn Spencer Brown

Editor in Chief

We board the AmaCerto on 11/22 after three days in Budapest. The markets will be open in Budapest and in several of our stops in Germany and Austria, as well as in Prague where we stay for a few days at the end of our trip.

This is our 9th visit to the markets and our 4th holiday river cruise. We are looking forward to new ports: Bratislava, Durnstein, Budapest. And we look forward to returning to old favorites.

It is a fabulous time to be in Europe - can't wait!

Hi, was in Rudesheim last year, it was small but quite sweet. Our favorite part of its market was the international corral -- quite different from other cities, that just focus locally. It's also a delightful town, and there are a number of shops we found that sold unique gifts.

Carolyn

Thanks alot.

Lynda

On a Christmas Markets cruise (short one) this year! This one's on the Danube, and goes from Nuremberg to Regensburg and back. Haven't done the Danube so any advice would be great. In return happy to advise on the Rhine!

The ship is A-ROSA.

I'm also taking a few days before to go to markets in Zurich and Lucerne, just...for fun.

Carolyn

On a Christmas Markets cruise (short one) this year! This one's on the Danube, and goes from Nuremberg to Regensburg and back. Haven't done the Danube so any advice would be great. In return happy to advise on the Rhine!

The ship is A-ROSA.

I'm also taking a few days before to go to markets in Zurich and Lucerne, just...for fun.

Carolyn

We have done 2 Viking Christmas market cruises on the Danube, and in between the cruises we did the markets on our own for 2 years, once based in Nurenberg and once in Regensburg. You are in for an amazing treat.

The market in Nurenberg is huge and fantastic, make sure to visit the kids market (at night if possible) which is about 2 blocks away from the main market. The sauseges in Nurenberg are incredible and come 3 to a bun in the market. several stalls also sell "bags of beer", a 4 pack of local Christmas beer, a Christmas CD, along with a die cast metal truck from the brewery. makes for good stocking stuffers and the beer is also good.

Regensburg- The Thurn and Taxis castle and market at night is a must do. There is a small entry charge for this market but it is well worth it. There are warming fires, incredible food booths and local craftsmen working on their wares. The castle also has its own brewery/restaurant (it used to be the stables for the castle) that is only a couple of blocks from the castle.

This year we are on Viking on a Rhine cruise and I have no idea what to expect, other then more incredible markets. Any advice on must see markets or attractions would be greatly appreciated.

I know you will have a great time on the Danube.

The ship is A-ROSA.

Carolyn

A'Rosa is just getting into the North American market. I'm guessing you are going as part of a 'press' trip? They've been doing river cruises for a long time catering to German's. I'm glad to see someone is giving them a spin, as I'm interested to hear how they compare...since you've river cruised before.

Please help me out..... Has anyone who has done a Rhine cruise had trouble using their Credit cards that don't have chip and pin? My two cards donot have it, and several banks have said they Are not yet available In the US. I want to use credit cards for restaurants, hotels and large shops, using cash at the markets.

Thanks. Lynda

Grand Circle Harmony Dec. 2 from Basel to Amsterdam.

Please help me out..... Has anyone who has done a Rhine cruise had trouble using their Credit cards that don't have chip and pin? My two cards donot have it, and several banks have said they Are not yet available In the US. I want to use credit cards for restaurants, hotels and large shops, using cash at the markets.

Thanks. Lynda

Grand Circle Harmony Dec. 2 from Basel to Amsterdam.

There is a thread all about Credit Cards on the River Cruise Ports section:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1732168

B of A has a new Travel Rewards Visa. I just looked at their website, and it looks like a good deal.

I copied this info related to the "Chip Technology" on their website:

Now with Chip Technology - Expanded global acceptance when shopping outside of the U.S.

• Shop with confidence in over 130 countries around the world including Canada, Mexico and the United Kingdom, where chip cards are standard.
  • Chip cards are the most widely accepted way to make purchases when you travel internationally.
  • The embedded chip also adds an extra layer of security because it's extremely difficult to counterfeit.

BankAmericard Travel Rewards™ credit card

The flexibility to use points to pay for more than just flights, with no restrictions

• No annual fee
  • Earn 1.5 points for every dollar spent on purchases — 50% more than traditional rewards programs that only offer 1 point per $1
  • No limit to the total number of points you can earn and points don't expire
  • No Foreign Transaction Fees
  • Receive 10,000 bonus points after qualified purchase(s)

Hope that is helpful.

We just picked up the Chase Hyatt card for the same reason. $75 annual fee, no FTF, chip & pin capability. You get two free nights for getting the card, then two more if you spend $1000 in the first 90 days. We'll be using it for the first time outside the US starting on Tuesday, but we already have had no trouble earning all four nights which for s means it's paid for itself.

How cold is it at that time of year??? I live in AZ and aren't used to very cold weather.

I've been tracking the weather in Munich and Vienna. Munich has been in the upper 40's with mid 30's at night. Supposed to be 43 for a high on Wednesday when we arrive but 37 with snow on Thursday! :D Vienna seems to be running about 5 degrees or so warmer

A BIG change for us desert rats ;)

We are in Munich right now and the weather is warm. Rough guess - low 50's mid day today. 40's this evening. Not cold at all.

Fred, Munich forcast for the next few days:

Sunday 54/37 light clouds

Monday 48/29 light clouds

Tuesday 45/39 cloudy

Wednesday 43/36 sun & rain, figure that one out?

Thursday 37/34/ rain & SNOW!

We are in Basel. Temps are warmer than expected. Sunny and warm, Probably 55-60F or more. Cools off at night, however if you go inside a bar or restaurant, the heats on to blasting. Have to peel off your clothes. Hope it cools some, as I've brought clothes for cold weather!

They have 2 Christmas markets in Basel. We hit them both today. Absolutely beautiful.

Very crowded, it's Saturday and a marathon was run this evening.

We are in Basel. Temps are warmer than expected. Sunny and warm, Probably 55-60F or more. Cools off at night, however if you go inside a bar or restaurant, the heats on to blasting. Have to peel off your clothes. Hope it cools some, as I've brought clothes for cold weather!

They have 2 Christmas markets in Basel. We hit them both today. Absolutely beautiful.

Very crowded, it's Saturday and a marathon was run this evening.

Here is the 5 day forcast for Basel:

Sunday, 49/45 mostly cloudy

Monday, 47/40, AM light rain

Tuesday, 42/37, showers

Wednesday, 39/33 showers

I'd say it will be cooling off for you!

When we were there everything closed up on Sundays

Here is the 5 day forcast for Basel:

Sunday, 49/45 mostly cloudy

Monday, 47/40, AM light rain

Tuesday, 42/37, showers

Wednesday, 39/33 showers

I'd say it will be cooling off for you!

When we were there everything closed up on Sundays

Hi Pam,

Yes, it's cooled down today. Much cooler, no sun, a few sprinkles of rain. Today we head for our River Cruise on Viking Sun.

Basel has two Christmas markets and they are wonderful. If anyone is coming to Basel, be sure to hit both markets. They aren't far apart, about a 10 minute walk. It is magical and exciting here.

I bought my first gluhwein at the Markets yesterday. You put a 3 franc deposit on the cup and get it back when you return the cup, or you keep your cup as a souvenier! That's what I'm doing. :D

I'll try to post from the ship.

Hi Pam,

Yes, it's cooled down today. Much cooler, no sun, a few sprinkles of rain. Today we head for our River Cruise on Viking Sun.

Basel has two Christmas markets and they are wonderful. If anyone is coming to Basel, be sure to hit both markets. They aren't far apart, about a 10 minute walk. It is magical and exciting here.

I bought my first gluhwein at the Markets yesterday. You put a 3 franc deposit on the cup and get it back when you return the cup, or you keep your cup as a souvenier! That's what I'm doing. :D

I'll try to post from the ship.

Frohe weihnachten! We don't leave until 12/3, so we really enjoy posts from those on their magical Christmas wonderland journeys.

Hi Pam,

Today we head for our River Cruise on Viking Sun.

Have a wonderful trip. We just got home about an hour ago and I am exhausted. Hope that your weather is as good as ours was. I got very good internet connection in my room, a real plus.

Sharon

Will do, Pete, and I'm not sure how much of a press trip it is. Think it's geared to agents. I started a thread on this on this forum and will be posting there about my impressions (join the ship on Wednesday).

Carolyn

A'Rosa is just getting into the North American market. I'm guessing you are going as part of a 'press' trip? They've been doing river cruises for a long time catering to German's. I'm glad to see someone is giving them a spin, as I'm interested to hear how they compare...since you've river cruised before.

Archived