An Urgent "what if" question..

almostnewtocruise

There is a talk about a strike/disruptions with the airline with which we are supposed to arrive to Amsterdam on the day on our cruise (next week).

Which made me think about the "worst what if scenario" - i.e. that we will miss the ship.

So what happens in that case? I assume we must get on our own to the next port.. But do we notify Azarama representative in Amsterdam? And if so - WHO IS Azamara's representative in Amsterdam? Do we call Azamara in the US? Our TA?

And how do we embark the ship in the next port which , in our - hopefully, totally hypothetical ! - case, would be Bergen? Do we just show up on the pier and tell the Norwegian authorities that "here we are" ?

I am sure it must have happened before - to someone, somewhere..

Can Andy or Bill advise what one must do it a case like that?

(hoping that it will remain purely hypothetical for all!)

Miriam

Hi Miriam. Did you book your air through Azamara or independently? Supposedly, if you booked via the line, they should get you to where you should be when you should be there. If you booked via a travel agent, then get in touch with them at the first hint of a problem.

Hopefully you won't be delayed and you'll have a wonderful trip.

Hope that helps.

Ed

There is a talk about a strike/disruptions with the airline with which we are supposed to arrive to Amsterdam on the day on our cruise (next week).

Which made me think about the "worst what if scenario" - i.e. that we will miss the ship.

So what happens in that case? I assume we must get on our own to the next port.. But do we notify Azarama representative in Amsterdam? And if so - WHO IS Azamara's representative in Amsterdam? Do we call Azamara in the US? Our TA?

And how do we embark the ship in the next port which , in our - hopefully, totally hypothetical ! - case, would be Bergen? Do we just show up on the pier and tell the Norwegian authorities that "here we are" ?

I am sure it must have happened before - to someone, somewhere..

Can Andy or Bill advise what one must do it a case like that?

(hoping that it will remain purely hypothetical for all!)

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

Im sorry, but I do not have direct answers to your questions. As Ed mentioned, the first question is, whether you booked your Cruise with Azamara or with a Travel Agent ? Also, did you book your Air with Azamara or independently ?

If you booked via a TA, I'd absolutely start there. If not, please share additional details with us, and I hope that Bill Leiber can answer your questions about the Port Agents, and offer guidance.

I truly hope your "what if" scenario never comes to pass. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Wishing you a wonderful Cruise !

Thanks Ed (Captain Ed? :)) and Andy for your kind words..

To answer your questions - we are traveling independently from Azamara and with a TA, so of course we'll be in touch with her, if the "threat" becomes real.

But my question is more general, as I am sure this scenario can happen - flights can be delayed or cancelled for many reasons.. So what is the protocol for an "independent traveler" in that case?

Miriam

Hi Miriam. It's hard to speculate specifically, but I think that what I would do if the worst happens would be to call Azamara and let them know that you have a problem, that way they will be able to anticipate your joining the ship somewhere other than the sailing port. Next, I would notify the TA and see what they can do. Finally, I'd see what options I had on my own to meet the ship somewhere and try to do that.

If you have trip insurance, you may also have some protection there, I would check that out now to see if they have some sort of alternative package.

Again, hopefully the worst may not happen and you'll be fine.

Ed Green ( AKA elsewhere as Captain Eddie 2002 )

Hi Miriam & Ed,

Something I thought about last night, and an item of comfort - as this is an Embarkation Port, any potential Port problems could affect everyone joining the ship that day.... so I can only assume that Azamara is well aware of this, and will have a contingency plan.

Another comforting thought - We've seen many threats of Port strikes in recent years, and most of them do not come to fruition. While it's always wise to have a back-up plan, let's hope Bill can share some insights, and that everything will work out just fine.

Thanks guys for your thoughts and advice..

Andy, you'll be right if it's a general problem (like we all had with the Italian transport strike in Venice last year).. But I doubt it if there will be many El Al travelers on Azamara next week - so if that strike happens (which of course it won't!) , then I'm afraid it will be just us. :o

I do hope Bill can answer on the more general questions.

Planes do arrive late for many reasons (just recently there was a scare on a Delta plane to Madrid and it had to return to NYC ), and I would assume that, in all the years Azamara has been sailing, there must have been at least one person who didn't make it to the port on time.. I understand that the latecomers must arrive by themselves (with or without their travel agent) to the next port. But do you alert Azamara.. and if so "which Azamara"? Is there an agent in place, who can notify the ship? Do you call US and they alert the ship? Does US Azamara have an 24/7 number?

Let's look at it as sort of Trivia question - a piece of useless knowledge never to be needed..:)

thanks again

miriam

Miriam,

Last year we were on Azamara leaving from Dublin. Unfortunately, a hurricane was moving up the eastern seaboard and all flights were cancelled out of EWR/JFK and surrounding airports. Many passengers missed the ship and quite a lot were traveling on their own vs. booked through Azamara. They were responsible for finding their own way to the ship. We had passengers arriving up to 6 days into the cruise. What many had done was call Azamara in the US and tell them they were still going....just not sure when they would get there. No one had issues boarding when they arrived.

Lauri

Hello Miriam -

Thank you for your patience while the following information came in from our Vice President of Hotel Operations; Manager, Guest Documents; Account Manager, Guest Port Services and our Director of Marketing:

When all is said and done, the answer to your question about the WHO responsible for managing the embarkation process for every guest on the manifest can be found when you check-in online and print your boarding documents.

Although I could not copy & past the information directly from the guest document system, here's what it includes on the top row:

Port - AMSTERDAM NETHERLANDS / Meet and Greet - Intercruises - +31 (0) 64 1812364

The WHO is the Meet and Greet representative: INTERCRUISES at +31 (0) 64 1812364.

They are your contact point to ensure that the information about any unforeseen events that impact your transportation and expected arrival is conveyed to the vessel.

In addition, other information is shown there about the port, the pier terminal, and directions from the airport. Here is the link:

http://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/plan-your-voyage/boarding-your-ship/directions-embarkation-ports/port-amsterdam-netherlands-0

As back-up, the port agent in Amsterdam is:

S5 Agency World

Sardinieweg 4

1044 AE Amsterdam

The Netherlands

Direct Tel: +31 (0)20 5875870 (24 hrs)

Office Fax: +31 (0)20 6133886

Finally, if there is a strike, Azamara will contact you and/or your travel agent.

My best wishes for safe travels to Amsterdam, a "strike-free" Amsterdam port and an Azamara experience that meets and exceeds your expectations! We appreciate your loyalty and positive attitude!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Yes - 6 days. We were stunned every morning to look out and find people joining the cruise. We would have given up. It will not take you six days to get there. The pilots will play nice and we will see you in Amsterdam! Don't they know that you have a concert to go to?

Bill, thanks you very much ; I knew I could count on you for an informed answer!

( still hoping that I won't need any of this.. :))

Laurie, I am sure it wouldn't take us 6 days.. or 5.. or 4.. or 3.. maximum 2? (it could have been just one - but there's this sea day!)

I consider myself to be very lucky with our travels ( no significant delays, lost luggage - even weather wise). But sometimes you wonder if/when (?) the laws of statistics will kick in - just to make it more "even"..;)

Miriam

Bill, thanks you very much ; I knew I could count on you for an informed answer!

( still hoping that I won't need any of this.. :))

Laurie, I am sure it wouldn't take us 6 days.. or 5.. or 4.. or 3.. maximum 2? (it could have been just one - but there's this sea day!)

I consider myself to be very lucky with our travels ( no significant delays, lost luggage - even weather wise). But sometimes you wonder if/when (?) the laws of statistics will kick in - just to make it more "even"..;)

Miriam

Miriam

I really hope this all works out for you. I know how much you have been looking forward to your cruise. Let us know when you are safely in Holland if you can, we will be thinking of you

Miriam....not sure about El Al's policy but, many times if there is the possibility of service disruptions, the airlines will let you change your plans and fly out on a different day. Have you asked them about the possibility of flying out a day early to miss their possible strike? Might be worth spending a night in AMS.

Miriam....not sure about El Al's policy but, many times if there is the possibility of service disruptions, the airlines will let you change your plans and fly out on a different day. Have you asked them about the possibility of flying out a day early to miss their possible strike? Might be worth spending a night in AMS.

Laurie, that's a good suggestion and a good solution, if you know when the "disruptions" will happen. So far these are all just media speculations stemming from a growing friction between the pilots and the management that have started because of really stupid issues. . Who knows when (if at all) this will ripe into an actual strike (so far there was a cancellation of just one flight - and that was on Wednesday.. all the rest is just threats ).

I'll look at it tomorrow (today is Saturday, so El AL doesn't fly). Hopefully someone there will remember that they are all grownups.. and what's more important - that WE need to arrive on time!

It sounds like they are doing slowdowns or sickouts not a strike. You are right, that is harder to figure out. With a strike, they usually pick a date. You should be ok. I am counting on seeing you in AMS. We have things to do and places to see.

There is a great web site....it lets you see what is going on with possible strikes around the world. http://www.easytravelreport.com/

Bill, Andy, Anne- thanks for all your advice and concern...

Just to let you know that we arrived safely and now are in the middle of a beautiful - even though somewhat WET - cruise!

Greeting from the Journey!

Miriam

So glad you made it safely. We will try and turn the rain off for Edinburgh, at last our weather is picking up so fingers crossed

Hello Miriam -

Thank you for the good news that you've arrived safe and sound! Perhaps the sun will come up, tomorrow!

Enjoy your time in Norway and safe travels on your return to home!

Best regards,

Bill Leiber

Chief Blogging Officer*

Azamara Club Cruises

(*CBO is an authorized and compensated representative of ACC)

Just to let you know that we arrived safely and now are in the middle of a beautiful - even though somewhat WET - cruise!

Greeting from the Journey!

Miriam

Hi Miriam,

I'm so happy to hear that your travels went smoothly. Have an Azamazing Journey !

Archived