Walking Duval with Alcohol?

ogtiger10

What is the law in Key West about walking with a drink? Will the bars let you purchase and then carry a to-go cup outside? I know in New Orleans you can but in some other cities you can't.

Key West does have an open container law. However, they do permit you to carry alcohol in plastic containers around the 100 and 200 blocks of Duval....as a courtesy. This area covers Hogs Breath, Sloppy Joe's, Irish Kevin's, etc.

When I was there in March I saw people walking on the street with bottles in hand...no concealment there

The open containers are supposed to be cups.

"Open Container" means any open alcoholic beverage. Like I said previously, Key West does have an Open Container ordinance....meaning it is illegal to drink alcohol outside of the licensed establishments or private property.

That being said, it is a very loosely enforced rule, especially around the lower blocks of Duval Street.

To the OP, you will most likely be fine, but don't be surprised if an officer asks you to dispose of it. The likelyhood of you actually being cited is very slim to none.

We were in Key West in Jan and EVERYONE walked around with an open container. I dont know what the law is but there are vendors along side of the road on Duval selling cocktails/ beers. I walked around all day with a drink-in-hand. No one ever said anything :cool:

LUV your screen name!

We were in Key West in Jan 08 for 5 nights and we also walked up and down Duval and all over Old Town with drinks in hand and no one said anything. They were in cups, but mostly cups with bar logos on them.

There used to be a gathering of homeless or indigent people at the statue of Norbert Thompson next to the Conch Farm and one at the Westin Marina, off to the side. Mostly men would sit there at night with a bottle of beer in a brown, paper bag and shoot the breeze, and I suppose, occassionally pan-handle as tourists walked by. Maybe even make a comment or two.

*Used* to gather until the open-container law was passed.

Get it?

Pjk

• 5 weeks later...

everything is put in a plastic cup...and if they don't (like at a fancy restaurant and you're ready to leave but haven't finished your wine or whatever), they will give you a plastic cup. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Our tour guide on 6/16/09 for the Margaritaville Walking Tour through CCL stated that the open container law is only enforced during spring break. The tour was a pub crawl and we openly bought drinks to consume to the next bar. Part of the tour was holding the drinks high as we crossed streets. Tour guide stated that locals don't hit tourist with alcohol in their hands so not to spill the alcohol. All in good humor, but no problems drinking and walking.

• 3 weeks later...

walking around key west with a drink is almost encouraged ! There is something very liberating about walking into a bar asking for drinks "to go" and wandering around with a nice buzz ! Some great memories from key west !

The open container law is one of those that are "selectively" enforced. If you're walking with a plastic cup of alcohol, you won't be bothered. If you're a homeless person sitting on the curb, you'll be arrested.

Archived