Naked neighbors on balcony next door...

mexico5

Hi, just back from our first HAL cruise on the Oosterdam...it was a good cruise but we wouldn't sail with HAL again. We much prefer Princess and NCL in all areas except for stateroom/room service dining and the crew.

But...just curious if this has happened to anyone before. It wasn't the end of the world...just weird. Our first sea day we sat out on our balcony (fantastic one at that!) and our neighbors (maybe you are on CC?:eek:) came out to tan on theirs too..butt naked...I mean nothing on the man or woman. I don't think they were Canadians as they were way too tanned (or should I say leathery) so maybe from Europe where it's hotter? Anyhoo...my DH and I vacation alot at All inclusives so we are used to seeing the man in the thong and the women that go topless...not a big deal...but I am not sure if they realized we (and how many others?) could see them.

I told my DH if we can see them (through the glare of the panel) that they could see us so make sure he wears something when out there...we were pretty close to the balcony cabins that "swing out" so I think they might have been seen by many people...interesting...the second sea day the same thing...both naked out suntanning...the last sea day it was too cold for it.

Also I feel sorry for a couple that must not have been getting their "special" gifts. At the Pinnacle Grill one night the waiter came over and presented us with a special cake for our special celebration! Again the captain sent us a note to congratulate us...I phoned down to say that some couple was being confused for us but these things kept on happening...oh well...hope the "real couple" got something!

Welcome Home

Sorry that in some ways that you did not specifically mention that you were disappointed in HAL and won't be sailing them again.

Naked people on a balcony -- yes -- years ago on one of the Vista class ships the people in the Penthouse were always out there naked.

As for celebrations -- we don't do them any more on HAL -- even though they have known our dates (and even mentioned it several times) -- when the actual date arrived -- nothing -- no cake -- never a card from anyone.

But how were they dressed on Formal Night?

;)

Funny...we never saw their faces after the initial shock wore off...each night at dinner we looked around to see if we saw a really tanned older couple but never saw one!

I have to say that we have never seen such awful dressed people on formal night or the other nights as we did on HAL. After reading these boards my DH brought a nice suit to wear and I brought a couple of black dresses and it was for nothing...although we quite enjoyed it and we got some nice formal pics taken. Honestly, the guests on NCL were much better dressed on "formal optional" night than on HAL's "formal night". Not sure if it was just this cruise or where we sailed out of or what but we have never seen SO many jeans, runners and sweatshirts! It usually doesn't bother us but we were expecting more after reading these boards. Someone did point out however that these boards make up such a tiny part of the passengers.

We had that happen when we went on a Princess Cruise. As you may know, Princess ships have a cascading balcony set up. We were on the Baja deck, and I came out on the balcony one day, looked down and there was a man butt naked lying on his stomach sunbathing. We were stopping at St Martin that trip so maybe he was just preparing for Orient Beach.

Welcome Home

Sorry that in some ways that you did not specifically mention that you were disappointed in HAL and won't be sailing them again.

Naked people on a balcony -- yes -- years ago on one of the Vista class ships the people in the Penthouse were always out there naked.

As for celebrations -- we don't do them any more on HAL -- even though they have known our dates (and even mentioned it several times) -- when the actual date arrived -- nothing -- no cake -- never a card from anyone.

Thanks! I've been reading these boards long enough to know that if I say that I don't love HAL that I will be flamed! There really is a cruiseline for everyone and we are glad we tried HAL.

We had that happen when we went on a Princess Cruise. As you may know, Princess ships have a cascading balcony set up. We were on the Baja deck, and I came out on the balcony one day, looked down and there was a man butt naked lying on his stomach sunbathing. We were stopping at St Martin that trip so maybe he was just preparing for Orient Beach.

Well at least he was on his stomach!:eek: This man just simply sat in his chair...note to self...wash off deck chair before using next time!

Well at least he was on his stomach!:eek: This man just simply sat in his chair...note to self...wash off deck chair before using next time!

We did not stay out long enough to see if he turned over or not.

Better yet, pack the can of lysol.

Never seen anyone (so far) in the 'buff' out on their balcony.

May I ask why you said you would not go on HAL again but prefer Princess. This will be my 1st cruise coming up on HAL Oosterdam with my DD. I do hope we will enjoy ourselves since we do like the night-life on a cruise and love to dance. Was there much dancing (Classic Rock, 70s, 80's) music going on?

Never seen anyone (so far) in the 'buff' out on their balcony.

May I ask why you said you would not go on HAL again but prefer Princess. This will be my 1st cruise coming up on HAL Oosterdam with my DD. I do hope we will enjoy ourselves since we do like the night-life on a cruise and love to dance. Was there much dancing (Classic Rock, 70s, 80's) music going on?

Hi, the main reason is the "open seating" dining. To sum things up my DH and I ONLY want a table for 2...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before anyone calls him anti social, it's not that at all! He's a lawyer and works very hard and is just plain tired of having to talk to people and we want "alone" time. Also he wouldn't want to have to stop me from reaching across the table during a heated political debate:eek: It seems to me that the HAL cruiser likes the "open seating" concept but uses it differently than the passengers do on Princess and NCL. HAL passengers like the flexible dining times but still like to have tablemates. That's only one portion of it for us...we want flexible dining times and a table for 2. We figured out we needed to make reservations every night in order to have a table for 2 so that was alright. BUT...we don't like to have reservations...sort of defeats the "anytime" dining concept. On Princess we never had reservations and only had to wait one night for a bit and the girl simply gave us a beeper and we went for a drink. Same thing on NCL. I also thought the dining room was not nearly as beautiful as the one on NCl or Princess...

Sorry I can't help you with the dancing...maybe the passengers came to life at night, but during the day the lounges were mainly filled with passengers reading! We like to have an early afternoon martini (doesn't have to be happy hour) and we were hard pressed to find one open.

You will have a great cruise! DH and I have never had a bad one, but you can't help compare the lines and pick one that meets most of your requirements!

Likewise, on a Princess cruise - if you are familiar with the Caribe deck, it has the larger balcony that is half covered/half "naked". We were on the deck above and several times when we were on our balcony a deck above, the couple below would be out in the altogether doing some scenic viewing.

It was several days before they happened to look up and notice that they were putting on a show for one and all above them. Love the Caribe balconies, but please stay under the covered portion if you're going natural.

Hi, the main reason is the "open seating" dining. To sum things up my DH and I ONLY want a table for 2...breakfast, lunch and dinner. Before anyone calls him anti social, it's not that at all! He's a lawyer and works very hard and is just plain tired of having to talk to people and we want "alone" time. Also he wouldn't want to have to stop me from reaching across the table during a heated political debate:eek: It seems to me that the HAL cruiser likes the "open seating" concept but uses it differently than the passengers do on Princess and NCL. HAL passengers like the flexible dining times but still like to have tablemates. That's only one portion of it for us...we want flexible dining times and a table for 2. We figured out we needed to make reservations every night in order to have a table for 2 so that was alright. BUT...we don't like to have reservations...sort of defeats the "anytime" dining concept. On Princess we never had reservations and only had to wait one night for a bit and the girl simply gave us a beeper and we went for a drink. Same thing on NCL. I also thought the dining room was not nearly as beautiful as the one on NCl or Princess...

Sorry I can't help you with the dancing...maybe the passengers came to life at night, but during the day the lounges were mainly filled with passengers reading! We like to have an early afternoon martini (doesn't have to be happy hour) and we were hard pressed to find one open.

You will have a great cruise! DH and I have never had a bad one, but you can't help compare the lines and pick one that meets most of your requirements!

I'm sorry that you didn't enjoy HAL. There is a cruise line for everyone. I like both HAL and Princess but have been leaning towards HAL lately. It's perfectly fine to want a 2 top and I don't think that's being anti social. That's just nasty about the naked folks. That's just TMI.

One might consider that sailing on 7 day and in some areas brings out, well ,different people.:rolleyes:

General rule of thumb I follow is the passengers, of any line tend to become more mannered and better dressed for every day past 14 days.

For that very reason I choose cruises of 21 to 28 day.

Also sailing to place line Mexico and the Carribe appeal to people more into party and indulgence of self...a beach party atmosphere reigns supreme, rather than a sence of formality.

Age has nothing to do with it I have observed its lenght and destination that seem to rule.

If your going fishing, you need to be aware that certain baits attracts specific fish;)

It sort of sounded that you objection to Holland America was based more on passenger quality , or lack there of, as you indicated you like the Food, Crew, Cabin, Ship ( what else is there?).

I might suggest that there is too a general trend for the popular lines to lower the bar for the markets they seek as passengers.

You might want to consider Regent or Seabourn..... not that much more expensive when all things are considered.... and a pretty strong assurance that your fellow passengers will be a delight to dine and mingle with to a much higher degree.

One might consider that sailing on 7 day and in some areas brings out, well ,different people.:rolleyes:

General rule of thumb I follow is the passengers, of any line tend to become more mannered and better dressed for every day past 14 days.

For that very reason I choose cruises of 21 to 28 day.

Also sailing to place line Mexico and the Carribe appeal to people more into party and indulgence of self...a beach party atmosphere reigns supreme, rather than a sence of formality.

Age has nothing to do with it I have observed its lenght and destination that seem to rule.

If your going fishing, you need to be aware that certain baits attracts specific fish;)

It sort of sounded that you objection to Holland America was based more on passenger quality , or lack there of, as you indicated you like the Food, Crew, Cabin, Ship ( what else is there?).

I might suggest that there is too a general trend for the popular lines to lower the bar for the markets they seek as passengers.

You might want to consider Regent or Seabourn..... not that much more expensive when all things are considered.... and a pretty strong assurance that your fellow passengers will be a delight to dine and mingle with to a much higher degree.

Actually I find most of your comments not to be what I was thinking at all! I have been on other Mexican and Caribbean cruises and formal night for the most part was really nice and people were dressed according to dress code. Also I stated that the room service dining/cabin and crew were highlights...I didn't mention the food or the ship as being fabulous at all.

As for dining with a certain "type" of person on Regent or Seabourn..think you didn't get it there either. We like NCL and we like all sorts of passengers...rich/poor/young/old/quiet/loud, etc...doesn't matter. It's just that formal night on HAL was nothing like I thought it would be according to these boards.

But...just curious if this has happened to anyone before. It wasn't the end of the world...just weird. Our first sea day we sat out on our balcony (fantastic one at that!) and our neighbors (maybe you are on CC?:eek:) came out to tan on theirs too..butt naked...I mean nothing on the man or woman. I don't think they were Canadians as they were way too tanned (or should I say leathery) so maybe from Europe where it's hotter? Anyhoo...my DH and I vacation alot at All inclusives so we are used to seeing the man in the thong and the women that go topless...not a big deal...but I am not sure if they realized we (and how many others?) could see them.

Sooo! :confused:

My wife and I just came back from the NA Christmas cruise. It was a very enjoyable cruise on a beautiful ship. We too chose the "as you wish" dine option. We always asked for a table for two, and never had to wait more than fifteen minutes. The service as always outstanding and the food very good.

As for naked people on a balcony, we have never seen any. However, we have traveled extensively in Europe, where people are not so concerned about nudity, so we have had our share of naked people. To that I say, so what?

Sooo! :confused:

Sooo...it's a little difficult to enjoy a tuna melt when the leathery parts are staring out at you! I tried turning my chair but I wanted to face the sun!

Sooo...it's a little difficult to enjoy a tuna melt when the leathery parts are staring out at you! I tried turning my chair but I wanted to face the sun!

I would think it is impossible to face the sun, eat the tuna melt, and watch the neighbors at the same time. HUMMM!

WOW first off I have to say that on all our numerous cruises I have never encountered anyone out on their balcony that was nude. I have to admit that is a bit brave on their part even if they are nudest, which obviously they are. :D

OP I have to agree with you about dressing up on NCL. NCL gets such a bad rap all because they call themselves Free Style Cruising. I admit that on their Formal or Not Nights we saw far more people dressed up and if they were not dressed up they were dressed very nice. Now I know it has been a while since I have been on the Oosterdam but the dress could not possibly be nearly as bad as what we saw on Formal Nights on the Mariner of the Seas a few weeks ago. I was stunned to say the least, we knew dress would not be that dressy so DH actually left his Tux home and brought a dark suit, well Formal would have been a clean Golf Shirt that was not wrinkled, seriously you do not know how much we wished we were on the Oosterdam the whole week. The food quality was by far the worst we have ever had any where and the total manners of the passengers were just ...well let's just say I was not the least bit impressed with RCCL. It was not the cruise line for us.

I am sorry you did not enjoy the Oosterdam ( which over all is still my favorite ship) but I too love NCL and our Princess experience, well at the time I was not thrilled but after the Mariner experience it was great :D We just need to stay away from their low quality meats on Princess but everything else was pretty darn good in comparision.

dress could not possibly be nearly as bad as what we saw on Formal Nights on the Mariner of the Seas a few weeks ago. I was stunned to say the least, we knew dress would not be that dressy so DH actually left his Tux home and brought a dark suit, well Formal would have been a clean Golf Shirt that was not wrinkled,

We had the same experiences on the Freedom of the Seas regarding the dress and the food. RCCL has definetly cut back on the food quality to pay for their new ships.

You can either go as you wish, or choose to have a set time and table. These are options. However, there are those who choose to have a designated time to dine, and then they OPT to show as they wish when they wish, thus creating an inconvinience to others who had previously OPTED the as you wish OPTION.

Archived