Portland Questions

VicRock

A) Has anyone used Mainely tours? We want to take a trolley tour with them.

B) Where does the boat dock? Would that be the same as the Ocean Terminal?

C) Anyone know how far we dock from Commercial Street? Which is where we'd pick up the trolley.

Thanks.

I also have questions to ask. We get there on Sunday 9-28-08, and there is two places I want to visit and want to know if it would be easy getting a taxi to take us to it.

First I would like to the Portland Headlight and then the Victorian Mansion, last time we went to Freeport and took the Duck Tour.

Thanks for any answers.

I also have questions to ask. We get there on Sunday 9-28-08, and there is two places I want to visit and want to know if it would be easy getting a taxi to take us to it.

First I would like to the Portland Headlight and then the Victoria Mansion, last time we went to Freeport and took the Duck Tour.

Thanks for any answers.

The Mainelytour is a 90 min. trolley tour which includes the headlight, which is why we're looking into it. We also want to tour the Victoria Mansion and possibly do a walking tour, though the walking tour would come first depending on time. When exploring, it said the headlight is about a 15-20 minute tour. Here's a map with the bus routes that shows up fairly well.

Ok, so I called them. They don't require but recommend reservations and you don't pay until you get there and ask that you get to their location 30 minutes before their tour starts. First starting at 9:30 and since we'll be docking at 7, I think we'll be fine. Going to make reservations but still looking for anyone who's taken the tour.

Thanks.

Its been about 5 years, but we took it and thought it was very nice. Very reasonable and a nice overview. A short and easy walk from the ship. We didn't get the combination ticket, but we talked to others who paid just a little more and enjoyed the trolley tour followed by a harbor cruise and really enjoyed it.

Its been a while, but I hope this was helpful. Portland was a nice port. I'd like to spend a weekend there.

Its been about 5 years, but we took it and thought it was very nice. Very reasonable and a nice overview. A short and easy walk from the ship. We didn't get the combination ticket, but we talked to others who paid just a little more and enjoyed the trolley tour followed by a harbor cruise and really enjoyed it.

Its been a while, but I hope this was helpful. Portland was a nice port. I'd like to spend a weekend there.

Thank you. They did ask if we wanted the combo ticket but I figure we'll be spending 14 days on a boat a harbor tour by boat would be overkill :)

A) Has anyone used Mainely tours? We want to take a trolley tour with them.

B) Where does the boat dock? Would that be the same as the Ocean Terminal?

C) Anyone know how far we dock from Commercial Street? Which is where we'd pick up the trolley.

Thanks.

a: last took their trolley tour 2 years ago - lots of nice info and enjoyable ride around Portland and out to Portland Head Light.

b: Portland Ocean Gateway Terminal is the name of the new cruise ship facility in Portland; address is 50 Commerical Street, located at the head of Franklin Arterial and Commercial St.

c: trolley is 5 to 10 minute walk from cruise ship (depending on how fast you walk and if you browse at the street vendors along the way)

a: last took their trolley tour 2 years ago - lots of nice info and enjoyable ride around Portland and out to Portland Head Light.

b: Portland Ocean Gateway Terminal is the name of the new cruise ship facility in Portland; address is 50 Commerical Street, located at the head of Franklin Arterial and Commercial St.

c: trolley is 5 to 10 minute walk from cruise ship (depending on how fast you walk and if you browse at the street vendors along the way)

Thank you! We have plenty of time to browse the street vendors if we want because of when we get in and when we need to be there. Since we live in NYC, however, street vendors don't usually deter me...now a book store, yarn/craft store would totally have my attention and tools would have hubby's:D

I just read your question again. I see your are specifically interested in the lighthouse. I do recall you were able to get out briefly (like 10 minutes) and then had to get right back on. It was really pretty and I remember them being very strict about the timing. They said the traffic guards would make the trolley leave at the designated time regardless. Don't know if that is still the way it is or not.

Also I now realize by the later post that we were at the old pier so my comment on the location is irrelevant.

Archived