Taxi from Tahiti Airport to Beachcomber??

Hairbender

We will be arriving at 4:30 AM. I'm sure there will taxis available, however, can you pay the driver in US dollars, and is there a set price, or do you bargin? I understand that the Beachcomber is only five minutes away from the airport, will it cost us more then $20.00 for the two of us? Thanks for any input...

94 Carnival Ectasay
96 RCL Legends
98 Dawn Princes
01 Crown Princess
02 RCL Grandure
03 Clebrity Summit
04 Tahitian Princess

Hi!
My sister and I went last year and loved the Beachcomber!! We paid $15, I think, from the airport to the Beachcomber. It is really close, and we should have bargained, but we were tired, and it was 2:30 am. From the ship to the airport, when we were leaving, we paid the same amount, and it is a longer drive. I think we paid $20 from the Beachcomber to the ship. You can bargain at the airport. It depends on car vs. van (vans cost more) and how much luggage you have. The taxis line up, but you can find single ones off to the side, and if you make a deal with one, they can get out of line. I don't know about bargaining at the hotel. They called the taxi for us-probably a friend. It was an exciting ride in a small car with the hatchback tied down with rope, and we were holding on to the suitcase handles so they wouldn't fall out. I love French Polynesia and the Polynesians. Papeete is a little loud and busy, but the rest is paradise. The pool at the Beachcomber was the best!! Have a great time!!

I cant remember what we paid, I was so hot and tired. WE also needed two cabs and had a ton of luggage.
Its easy enough as there is a taxi stop out in front of the airport. You will be there in no time. Its really a great property with the best views of moorea.

Jacqueline
Constellation 3/20/04
HAL Westerdam 7/30/04
Tahitian Princess August 2003
Grand Princess Western Caribbean 2003
Brilliance of the Seas Baltic 2002
Ocean Princess- Alaska 2001
Celebrity Zenith- Bermuda 2001
Grand Princess Med 2000

I can't believe you're "bargaining" over a $15 cab fare. What are you trying to do? Beat him down to $13?

Culturally, I had understood that in Tahiti both bargaining and tipping we're not the norm.

(BTW, I know this post looks a little rude in print. In person, it would be obvious I'm teasing a little bit.)

KB9MU

Thanks for all the input.. I have read so many different comments regarding the taxis there...Someone actually said that a driver wanted $50.00 dollars to take them from the airport to the Sheraton.. That is why I posted this thread to find out what I should or could expect to pay, and not get ripped off.

Where does your mom live in Sun City West? I work in a very popular hairstyling salon there, and may know her..What is her name?

Jackie

94 Carnival Ectasay
96 RCL Legends
98 Dawn Princes
01 Crown Princess
02 RCL Grandure
03 Clebrity Summit
04 Tahitian Princess

Archived