Sorrento, Amalfi coast towns, Pompei - Wheelchair accessibility?

bilbo109

I use an electric wheelchair and cannot walk at all. With my wife's help I can get up a single small step or curb (10-15cm, 4-6") with difficulty and of course curb ramps are much easier. We'll be docking in Salerno (Sept. 18th) and have hired a wheelchair van with driver for 8 hours. We want to see the Amalfi coast so we're thinking of going to Sorrento and then back along the coast (so the sea will be on our right). Any idea how much driving time that would take?

Any suggestions on where to stop and explore? We're thinking of getting dropped off for a couple hours in Sorrento, starting at Piazza Tasso and exploring the old town area, but I have no idea whether I'd be able to get around. I get the impression that other towns (Positano, Amalfi, etc.) along the coast would be difficult for me but I haven't found anything definative. We'll be going near Pompei, but I don't know about its accessibility or whether we'd have time.

Any input, advice or recommendations on how to spend our time is welcome. Also, do you have any suggestions for a place to stop for a tasty bite to eat, either in Sorrento or along the way? Thanks!

All those towns are very hilly and tough to negotiate. Pompei will be especially tough because of the ruins aspect of the area. Very uneven walkways, very dusty and slippery. It would be really tough on a scooter or power wheelchair. The roads to Amalfi are really difficult and have lots of traffic, and if there's an accident, which happens often on that road, you could be quite delayed. Positano is really tough because it's very, very hilly and cut outs are virtually unknown. It's a pretty drive to Amalfi, and there you could motor along the coast area, but getting to any part of the town will be impossible because it's nothing but stairs that go from place to place.

Hi XXOO -- could you doublecheck that link to 2008 info? The link you posted sent me to where I posted my questions on the Italy forum. Thanks!

OOPS ! THe limited information I found was on Trip advisor not CC.

Here's the link http://www.tripadvisor.com.sg/ShowTopic-g187782-i162-k3083203-Disabled_access-Sorrento_Province_of_Naples_Campania.html

We went to Naples 2 years ago.. I am in a manual wheelchair, but my husband is very good at getting me up steps and inclines. Sorrento was really nice, but I remember some of the side streets being cobblestones and bumpy.

Here's my advice: DO NOT even consider the ruins at Pompeii. We nearly killed ourselves getting up the very long and very steep incline to get in. Once in, there is hardly any terrain that a wheelchair or scooter can navigate. At one point, my wheelchair had to be lifted by four men about three feet high (with me in it) to get from one point to another. If those other construction workers hadn't happened upon us, we would have been stranded. It was a really impossible place in a wheelchair.

I recently posted about taking my Dad to Pompeii, but it was very difficult. Here is a blog post about our experiences in general. There is a video that shows what we had to do numerous times in Pompeii when crossing a street (Pompeii starts halfway through the video). You can see the rough street cobbles that simply can't be navigated by a wheelchair. Most streets in Pompeii have smooth sidewalks, but the wheelchair will need to be carried across each street crossing.

http://www.colrebsez.blogspot.com.es/2012/07/theres-no-ada-in-europe-and-getting.html

It would be possible to enter the lower section of Pompeii and just see a small portion of the ruins, but unless you are accompanied by several people who can carry your wheelchair repeatedly, I don't recommend Pompeii. I would think Sorrento would be doable but would research it first.

Archived