Weather in southern caribbean

When is your cruise? I did a S. Caribbean route last December and we didn't have very good weather at all. The days were shorter (obviously) than when we typically cruise in March so there was less daylight which was kind of weird. It rained almost everyday even if it was just for a little bit (typical Caribbean rain). But it was also cloudy almost everyday. We had one mostly sunny day while we were in Bonaire and one partly sunny day on our last day at sea. Needless to say I didn't get the tan that I usually do. I am not sure if this type of weather is typical for December in the Southern Caribbean. But I am not sure that I will cruise again in December if I want a lot of sun time!!! We had a great cruise anyway!

Just returned three weeks ago from AOS it was very warm, and very very warm, plus add in the humidity and afew rain showers here and there....no problem, great!!

You were lucky or we were very unlucky !!!!

Sailed on AOS On 12th October and were blighted by Hurricane Omah. Sailed out of San Juan sea day on the first day which was OK arrived in Barbados to a thunderstorm and rain that caused all the afternoon excursions to be cancelled as it was that bad.

St Lucia caught a heavy storm in the pm. Then it really got bad, had to miss Antigua, the captain tried to find an alternative island which was to be Dominica but on arrival the sea was so rough that we couldn't dock.

Next was St Maarten we had to miss there also, so eventually arrived in St. Thomas and had 36 hours in port, where the sun finally shone on us.

It's the luck of the draw. As the poster said they had good weather and it won't put us off but looking at an earlier sailing in January as opposed to the later October departure.

Regards

Paul

When is your cruise? I did a S. Caribbean route last December and we didn't have very good weather at all. The days were shorter (obviously) than when we typically cruise in March so there was less daylight which was kind of weird. It rained almost everyday even if it was just for a little bit (typical Caribbean rain). But it was also cloudy almost everyday. We had one mostly sunny day while we were in Bonaire and one partly sunny day on our last day at sea. Needless to say I didn't get the tan that I usually do. I am not sure if this type of weather is typical for December in the Southern Caribbean. But I am not sure that I will cruise again in December if I want a lot of sun time!!! We had a great cruise anyway!
Note that sunrise-to-sunset time in the tropics varies much less than at northern latitudes. As an example the difference between longest [summer] and shortest [winter] day in Grenada is is less than an hour and a half, while in New York City the longest-shortest differential is almost six hours. Of course if it is cloudy you won't see the sun even though it is above the horizon:rolleyes:.

:DI agree with Willow (she's my sister)... the weather was terrific... a light shower here & there.. but overall.. just like summer!!!!! The tough part for us was coming back to upstate N.Y. and the three inches of snow on the ground & another five inches overnite...Brrrrrrr.....we knew we should have hidden in our staterooms..;)

Does anyone know what the weather is typically like at the end of December? We're sailing on AOS on December 28, and when I booked it, I never gave a thought to the weather. I just figured other than hurricane season, their weather would be pretty constant year round. I didn't even think about the daylight hours being shorter. What time would it be getting dark that time of year? I was hoping for nice, sunny, hot weather so I hope I won't be disappointed. I see enough clouds at home.

We went on 2 southern Caribbean cruises in early November and had beautiful weather, light rain here and there, but mostly sunshine. Then we did Western Caribbean a couple weeks ago and had terrible weather...on the edge of Hurrican Paloma...lots of rain. Could just be coincidence, but in our experience Southern Carib has much nicer weather.

Archived