Cruise Critic Message Board Forums

Cruise Critic Message Board Forums (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/index.php)
-   Holiday Exchange 2013 (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   What do you have for breakfast Christmas morning? (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1106162)

JJPacer December 18th, 2009 08:02 PM

What do you have for breakfast Christmas morning?

What do you have for breakfast on Christmas morning? I used to have donuts or a coffee cake. But I am constantly trying to loose weight, so I quit having the high calorie breakfast. Then I made a breakfast caserole with eggs, sausage, cheese, etc. Probably still as high calorie as donuts! But the family didn't really like it. I thought I would try something new this year. Do you have any good ideas? I would like it to be something I can make ahead of time, and heat up. We open presents Christmas morning.

Happy Holidays and Blessing to all.

copper6606 December 19th, 2009 02:32 AM

We tend to eat late in the morning[ busy opening presents]
So... I cook up a pound of bacon the day before and the morning of - I toss it in the microwave and reheat it just to crisp it up a bit. I put that out on a platter with croissants and a fruit tray and dip for everyone to pick away at... I know it sounds tacky but I buy throw away Christmas plates and napkins and then when they're done nibbling we throw them away with the leftover wrap , bows and tags. Easy Peezy! :D
Coffe, Tea and juice as well...

Denali2003 December 19th, 2009 07:12 AM

Growing up my mom would make the Pillsbury cinnamon rolls. I continued to make them when I grew up and was on my own. I did it for a few years after I got married - however, my husband doesn't like pastry for breakfast. The girls like them though. So this year I will make them and my husband can have something else. When I don't have the cinnamon rolls, I feel kind of bad.

morecruise4me December 19th, 2009 08:39 AM

Sticky Buns

I spend Christmas Eve day making cinnamon sticky buns. It's the only time of year I make them and my family won't let a Christmas go by without them. Been a tradition for 20 years or more. On Christmas morning, we warm them in the microwave with a pat of butter...YUM! It's Christmas and calories don't count!!

Drew's Wife December 19th, 2009 05:53 PM

There is only one thing for Christmas morning, Country ham and biscuits!:D I have a really hard time finding it where we live, so the grocery that I shop just ordered some for me last week. All ready for Christmas morning!:)

sayvan December 19th, 2009 06:52 PM

After the presents are all open we have the Cinnamon rolls with champagne and Orange juice... thats our tradition....

helpmesailaway December 19th, 2009 08:10 PM

Eggnog pancakes - One of my favorite pancake mixes - Golden Malted -made with eggnog. Oranges with Grand Marnier syrup. I have been making these since we were married many, many years ago.

Last year I added Cinnomon rolls and will do that again this year. I also make bacon for the bacon eaters.

Lapidarylady December 19th, 2009 09:09 PM

This year I'll have whatever they are serving in the Zaandam dining room!:D
We always made waffles or pancakes and eggs. Special things we don't usually go to the bother of making.

JJPacer December 19th, 2009 11:13 PM

helpmesailaway please post the recipe.

Quote:

Originally Posted by helpmesailaway (Post 22377417)
Eggnog pancakes - One of my favorite pancake mixes - Golden Malted -made with eggnog. Oranges with Grand Marnier syrup. I have been making these since we were married many, many years ago.

Last year I added Cinnomon rolls and will do that again this year. I also make bacon for the bacon eaters.

Egg Nog Pancakes sounds right up my alley. Please post the recipe.

Thanks,

snowbird8 December 20th, 2009 11:15 AM

It's tradition at our house for me to make a crustless bacon and swiss cheese quiche, served with croissants. Thinking about adding the cinnamon-nut rolls and a breakfast casserole. Of course when I mentioned this to the men in the family, they all said they would just eat more bacon!! Yikes! I may have to skip the Weight Watchers meeting next week!!! Got to lose before I cruise! :D

simplelife December 23rd, 2009 10:13 AM

Traditionally we do not have a large breakfast - we usually have things that we can make ahead so not one has to be in the kitchen much on Christmas morning. DH makes a wonderful puff pastry (from scratch), and we make sausage balls ahead of time and just pop them into the oven. Depending on how ambitious I have beem, I may have an assortment of cookies. We have some fresh fruit and juice, coffee, and cocoa. Everone just "grazes" as they desire. This year Christmas morning will be just DH and I so we probably be even simpler than that.
I know most of this isn't low-cal, but the calorie conscious can eat more of the fresh fruit and coffee or low-fat cocoa and just a taste of the other things.

hi2you December 23rd, 2009 12:53 PM

I was told it isn't what you eat between Christmas and New Years that hurts you, it is what you eat between New Years and Christmas which is harmful.

I usually just have toast because we eat lunch at 1pm, and there is no way I want to be full from a big breakfast and miss mom's famous dressing. Merry Christmas everyone.

142 days to go.

theump December 23rd, 2009 03:14 PM

Christmas Food

Cookies and Milk what Else!

Merry Christmas

deepnite10 December 23rd, 2009 04:00 PM

we have celebrating Christmas all week..and Christmas is nt even here yet..so it s been left over s every morning, noon and night..

this does nt do much for my weight either..:o

julieclair December 23rd, 2009 05:46 PM

Breakfast Casserole - Yum!

We have a bacon, egg and cheese casserole, fruit salad, and coffee cake (usually some sort of Entenmann's). I make the casserole on Christmas Eve, because it has to sit overnight in the refrigerator before baking. I bake it while we open presents on Christmas morning, and about the time we're done, the casserole is ready. It's so yummy!

One year, we thought seriously about taking a Christmas cruise, but my youngest son (then about 15 years old) said, "No way! We wouldn't be able to have our traditional breakfast casserole if we were on a ship!" So.... we stayed home for Christmas! :rolleyes:

September Baby December 23rd, 2009 06:35 PM

Christmas day breakfast has to be smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and champagne, can't beat it , I'm working Christmas day & Boxing Day this year, so will have to go easy on the champers. Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and a brilliant New Year. Roll on Jan 4th - QM2 NY to UK.:)

ddemetrius456 December 24th, 2009 06:08 AM

Christmas morning is special for me so for enjoying this christmas i planned to start with my favorite breakfast Chocolate Gravy with Croissants and Christmas Eggnog French Toast.:)

martie_ December 24th, 2009 09:37 AM

like the mimosa thought...will have to stop at the packy after work! :) merry christmas everyone!

NorbertsNiece December 24th, 2009 05:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by September Baby (Post 22414631)
Christmas day breakfast has to be smoked salmon, scrambled eggs and champagne, can't beat it , I'm working Christmas day & Boxing Day this year, so will have to go easy on the champers. Wishing you all a wonderful Christmas and a brilliant New Year. Roll on Jan 4th - QM2 NY to UK.:)

We have scrambled eggs, smoked salmon and croissants.... no idea where we got this combination from.... now my chicks have flown the nest we have the ingredients but I don't know whether we'll bother.....

EmJake's Bubbie December 24th, 2009 07:17 PM

French Toast Casserole - yummy! make the night before, cover w/foil. takes @45 minutes to bake in 350oven, next morning. many different recipes pop up, on Google.
Like the sound of eggnog pancakes:rolleyes: