View Single Post
Old November 25th, 2012, 10:01 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamomo View Post
Having just done a wonderful Med cruise in October with Princess, I have to concur with those who say a child of that age may be underimpressed. The port days, 5 in a row on my cruise, can be exhausting for adults because tours tend to be long, and the actual ports in some places are a LONG bus ride from the actual city you are scheduled to visit. For example, it was about a 1 1/2 hour ride from Civitaveccia to Rome, and about 45 minutes from Livorno to Florence. I can't imagine what it would be like for a 5 year old, who may quickly tire of and become bored seeing the best historic sights. When we had a sea day, it was almost like having a day off from work. LOL!
With the huge crowds, a little one will be seeing lots of other people's legs and maybe not much else!!
I agree completely with you! We took our 5 year old many years ago and he remembered being on a ferry (crossing the English Channel), playing cars on the floor of a train and meeting a few other kids. He has no recollection of the Vatican, Pompeii, Capri, or any other historic site.

OP, if you take your child, I suggest you bring a backpack full of "surprise" activities, familiar snacks and a few "give away" toys, games, items for him/her to share with other children that you come in contact with. (We took lots of sticker books, crayons and matchbox cars.) That will be their memory.

Ad Sponsored By