Packing List for Warm Weather/Tropical Cruise

ducklite

I said I'd post this when I got a chance, so here goes...

I spent 15 days on my last vacation between LA and French Polynesia. I had to have everything from closed-toed shoes and business casual for a business meeting in LA, yoga gear as I was taking lessons with a teacher in Santa Monica, clothes for our vow renewal, smart casual for dinners, clothes suitable for light hiking, and swimwear/coverups, so there was a bit of a challenge. Here's how I did it:

2 bathing suits (I brought two bikinis) with 2 pair coordinating board shorts and 2 coordinating zip front rash guard jackets--one l/s and one s/s. (I was glad to have the l/s as it was cool coming out of the water after snorkeling when it was overcast or rainy.)

2 pair shorts--one white and one of these:

270864_39461_41?rgn=0,0,1950,2250&scl=4.55607476635514&id=rP5hU1

They are LL Bean and seriously the very best cargo shorts ever made anywhere--ever--the end. Tons of storage in pockets that button closed for security and super incredibly comfy. You will wonder how you lived without them. They come in size 2-20 and fit WITHOUT "vanity sizing."

Two cotton t-shirts, pink and fuschia if I recall (whatever I brought, both matched both pair of shorts)

Two sets of yoga wear (capris and tanks)

One set of workout gear (running shorts, tank, socks, sneakers)

Two pair of pants, one white, one black. The white ones were sent out for laundering and never came back, so I was glad that all my tops matched both pants.

570096097_001.jpg

(I don't have a photo of the white pants, but they were a similar style)

Three blouses/tops to go with slacks for dinners, two were B&W with different patterns/styles and one was a fuscia sleeveless cowl neck.

Three dresses:

TSW35530C_137_main?$detail2$

TW61960_033_main?$cat253$

The last was a fuschia sleeveless fit and flare style--I can't find a photo that comes close, sorry.

A very lightweight linen pants and blouse set.

For shoes I brought sneakers, ballet flats, water shoes, and three pair of flat, thong style sandals in white, black, and a copperish/golding beaded/blingy pair. It killed me to have to bring all those shoes along, but my water shoes weren't going to cut it for hiking/jogging, my running shoes weren't going to work as water shoes, I needed the ballet flats for the business meeting. The sandals were all really flat and took no room, so no guilt bringing the tree pair.

I had two sports bras, four regular bras including two convertibles (several of my tops/dresses were halter or racer back and I went strapless with the pareo I picked up in Bora Bora on tropical night), five underwear. I also had a pair of "fuzzy socks" to wear on the plane and as slippers at my friends house where I stayed for a few days before I left for Tahiti. I also brought a packable straw sunhat which I didn't need every day, but was glad to have when I did need it.

Of course I had a small pouch with assorted jewelry--some of which I wore a lot and a few things I never wore at all. I wore my waterproof watch so I didn't have to worry about forgetting to take it off while snorkeling or swimming.

I also brought along a lightweight black sweater which I wore on the plane out with the black slacks, black slacks, one of the B&W blouses, and ballet flats. I can't recall what I wore home, I think the cargo shorts and a t-shirt with my sneakers. (Unfortunately I wear a size 10, so my running shoes are not small)

I could have left the fuschia dress and the linen pants and blouse at home and never missed them. I had many encouraging me to bring a third bathing suit, I did not need it and was glad I didn't bother. Most days I put on a bathing suit with shorts and a rash guard over it before breakfast and that is what I wore all day until it was time to change for dinner. I washed the suit in the sink, hung it to dry, and by the next afternoon it was always 100% dry. When one of the pair of board shorts also went missing in the laundry, I substituted the lightweight white cotton ones for them. I hadn't really planned on bringing them, and decided to do so at the last minute. I was very glad I had.

I'll be honest, it was a tight squeeze getting it all into my 20" wheeled bag. It did fit--I tucked some stuff into my sneakers. I rolled my clothes and tucked small items into every crack and crevice. My travel yoga mat folded into the front pocket. (I put it on top of the borrowed--gross--mats from the studio and used it on the ship.)

My crossbody held travel documents, jewelry, camera gear, iPad, chargers, my GPS (needed in LA), a couple paperbacks, and my makeup bag--which I pared down before I packed it. I also pared down my toiletries and other than sample packets of shampoo, conditioner, and body gel that I used the first couple showers while at my friends, I didn't pack any of that and used what was supplied at the hotels/cruise ship.

I did end up checking my husbands bag, for two reasons. He ended up needing to be out of state for work up until the day he left for vacation. So I had his suitcase packed at our home and checked it when I flew to LA. I also checked a box of wine that I took to LA as gifts and for a wine dinner with friends. I slipped four cans of sun block into my husbands suitcase and was glad I did--we went through two and gave a third away to a new friend we made on board plus needed the can of 25% DEET bug spray we also brought along while hiking on Moorea. We found sun block to be very expensive in FP, so we were glad we bought it along. Before we checked the bag to Tahiti, we crosspacked between the one we were checking and the one we were carrying on. The wine box was discarded in LA.

Happy to answer any questions. This list would also work perfectly on a Caribbean cruise. If you have a formal night bring blingy tops and a pair of silk or crepe pants instead of one of the pants and one of the dresses and you'll be fine.

Edited by ducklite

I'm quite impressed with your packing list. That's too bad to see some items went missing. So unexpected! Although I'm getting better at reducing what I bring, I'm bad at sticking with a color palette for mix and match. Do you tend to stay with one pallete?

Typically I stick with a black/white/tan bottom, and then use color in my tops. I do make sure that all tops can be work with all bottoms for mix and match.

It's not a special cruise wardrobe thing, it's what I do at home as well. I have a handful of tops that don't match all bottoms--some purples and greys that don't really work with the tan, but overall my tops match all my bottoms.

This is a great list. Thanks for sharing it. How many times did you send out laundry? Was it all missing from the same time or multiple? Did the items ever fid their way home? Honestly, that is what I worry about most with sending out laundry. I've managed to pare my list down pretty well (not as well as you though!) and I worry about not getting something back that I needed.

Excellent tips. Like the idea of board shorts and rash guards.

Of course the LL Bean shorts are sold out in the color I wanted.

Like the color palettes as well for tops and pants.

Well done!

Thanks for sharing.

Robin

Norwegian Breakaway July 2014

Carnival Miracle 2010

Carnival Legend 2006

Every Day at Sea is a Great Day

This is a great list. Thanks for sharing it. How many times did you send out laundry? Was it all missing from the same time or multiple? Did the items ever fid their way home? Honestly, that is what I worry about most with sending out laundry. I've managed to pare my list down pretty well (not as well as you though!) and I worry about not getting something back that I needed.

I think we sent it out four nights. The items went missing on two separate times. Frankly I have my suspicions on what happened to them, but without proof I don't want to say. I never got them back.

Ducklite,

I know you're the kind of gal that wouldn't let something like losing the clothes ruin your good time (I've read lots of your posts) but that still stinks! Especially if your guess about what happened to them was correct.

As you may know (I've posted a lot on this board), I'm a large bag-checked and a carryon tote kind of gal but I really do appreciate your ability to pack light so well. I have copied your list so that if I ever do decide or have to pack lite, I will have learned from the "Master of Lite Packing". LOL!:D I always like reading your posts and seeing how much you manage to fit into your carry-on. Thanks for sharing!;)

Edited by mousey

Assuming you were on PG, what did you find others wearing a dinner? What did you do for coverups in evenings?

Most were wearing what I was. Slacks, a casual dress, a skirt and blouse, etc. There were some Japanese dressed to the nines every night, but the Americans, French, Aussies, Brits, and Kiwis on board were all smart casual every night.

No need for a coverup, it never got below mid 70's at night.

Hi Ducklite, I wrote down your packing list and went through my clothes to figure out the gaps that I needed to fill in. I discovered that I owned absolutely no neutral shorts. Zip, zero, nada...they are all bright colors like hot pink or patterned. So, I went shopping and finally found shorts that fit well, quick drying, sun protection, and most importantly neutral. One pair is black and the other is charcoal. Slowly, but surely I am building my travel wardrobe so I can pack light.

Oh, BTW, I am on a business trip right now I packed everything in a small duffle and there is still plenty of room in it. I am discovering that I need to reduce the toiletries, but I am making progress on packing light. :D

Lisa

Hi Ducklite, I wrote down your packing list and went through my clothes to figure out the gaps that I needed to fill in. I discovered that I owned absolutely no neutral shorts. Zip, zero, nada...they are all bright colors like hot pink or patterned. So, I went shopping and finally found shorts that fit well, quick drying, sun protection, and most importantly neutral. One pair is black and the other is charcoal. Slowly, but surely I am building my travel wardrobe so I can pack light.

Oh, BTW, I am on a business trip right now I packed everything in a small duffle and there is still plenty of room in it. I am discovering that I need to reduce the toiletries, but I am making progress on packing light. :D

Lisa

Great job, Lisa!

The trick with the toiletries is to use the stuff the hotel gives for shampoo, soap, conditioner, and hand cream. If you have hair that is dry/frizzy/etc., use the hotel shampoo, but bring along a travel size of your own conditioner, which is what seems to really be the key.

Gone are the days of crappy soap and shampoo, most business class hotels are providing good quality toiletries anymore.

Hilton has the Peter Thomas Roth (love that stuff!), Embassy Suites offer Crabtree & Evelyn, InterContinental has Agraria, Marriott has Bath & Body Works and have been switching over to Thann, Indigo has Aveda, and someone has TempleSpa--can't remember who, maybe Crown Plaza? One chain also has L'Occitane, but can't remember who.

I actually do usually have a pretty full 3-1-1 bag because I take my own toiletries (though not much makeup). Overall, the health & beauty stuff doesn't take up too much room, but I can always stand to take a few things out - I've been working on that this past year as well.

Some fun hacks for travel toiletries here. Love this site (though some of the clothing items or combos are not quite my style, overall I love the approach!) http://travelfashiongirl.com/learn-my-hacking-secrets-to-zero-or-almost-zero-liquid-travel/

I love the LL Bean cargo shorts! How long are they? I can't show too much thigh - I may have lost over 40 lbs so far but I haven't been exercising so the flab is quite evident!. I know I know - my arthritis hurts too much and I'm scared it'll get worse. Anyway, how short are these? I love the pink beige color.

Here are all the shorts LLBean is selling now: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513280?nav=gnro-hp

Those look like the Southport cargo, which is listed as having a 9" inseam: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70400?feat=513280-GN1&page=southport-cargo-shorts

You'll even find 203 reviews posted to see what other people have to say about the fabric, fit, colors etc.

I actually do usually have a pretty full 3-1-1 bag because I take my own toiletries (though not much makeup). Overall, the health & beauty stuff doesn't take up too much room, but I can always stand to take a few things out - I've been working on that this past year as well.

Some fun hacks for travel toiletries here. Love this site (though some of the clothing items or combos are not quite my style, overall I love the approach!) http://travelfashiongirl.com/learn-my-hacking-secrets-to-zero-or-almost-zero-liquid-travel/

Thanks for sharing this website...I love it! I've already gleaned a ton of info from it!:D I love this thread!:D

I love the LL Bean cargo shorts! How long are they? I can't show too much thigh - I may have lost over 40 lbs so far but I haven't been exercising so the flab is quite evident!. I know I know - my arthritis hurts too much and I'm scared it'll get worse. Anyway, how short are these? I love the pink beige color.

I'm 5'6" and the size 4 hits about 4-5" above my knee.

Ah, ok, probably too short for me. I'm going to the outlet mall this weekend to get a new wardrobe so I'll see what Eddie Bauer has. Thanks for the idea of a cargo short. We're going to Wyoming in the RV next month so I'll need shorts for sure. That's what we do now - we travel in the RV instead of cruising. No formal nights, lol.

I'm glad your wardrobe worked out well for you, you certainly put alot of thought and planning into it. Good for you!

Here are all the shorts LLBean is selling now: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/513280?nav=gnro-hp

Those look like the Southport cargo, which is listed as having a 9" inseam: http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/70400?feat=513280-GN1&page=southport-cargo-shorts

You'll even find 203 reviews posted to see what other people have to say about the fabric, fit, colors etc.

Yes, they are the Southport Cargo short.

I travel by the motto - travel happy or travel heavy. Pick one. DH still hasn't figured that out yet.

Every clothes separate matches at least two separates. As long as bottoms aren't too smelly, they can be worn twice. I've had to pare down what I pack, because I'm not a small person.

More than happy to use soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc. provided by ship.

I travel by the motto - travel happy or travel heavy. Pick one. DH still hasn't figured that out yet.

Every clothes separate matches at least two separates. As long as bottoms aren't too smelly, they can be worn twice. I've had to pare down what I pack, because I'm not a small person.

More than happy to use soaps, shampoos, lotions, etc. provided by ship.

You don't have to pick one! I travel heavy and I'm always happy! I appreciate people wanting to travel light but it's not for everyone. It's not for me although I've been contemplating giving it a try sometime. If I had to travel light I could easily do it. I just don't choose to do so at this point in time mainly because I don't have to.:D

You don't have to pick one! I travel heavy and I'm always happy!

Great!

But I do have to pick one. Lugging around an extra bag full of stuff I didn't use does not equal my happiness. Esp since DS has extra bag full of his medical stuff, which gets lugged around.

I understand your point but I don't travel around with stuff I don't wear or use. I just don't like to do laundry on vacation or wear things more than once. Everyone has a different way of doing things and one way isn't better than another...the best way of packing is what works for the individual. Not wanting to argue just saying that traveling light is not for everyone. ;)

I agree mousey. I could pack light. I just have no desire to do so. And not because I care if other people notice what I'm wearing either. I enjoy wearing what I bring and doing laundry on vacation isn't an option for me. I'm totally fine with checking a bag in order to bring what I want.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ehpride