Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

Here's a few more snow pics.

Wow! Seeing Wex standing in it makes it so unbelieveable to imagine anyone trying to walk through it. Did you get your van out?

I love the one of John kissing his boy. How do people get their cars out? What a mess!

Is Wex's face getting gray or is that snow?

Wow! Seeing Wex standing in it makes it so unbelieveable to imagine anyone trying to walk through it. Did you get your van out?

I love the one of John kissing his boy. How do people get their cars out? What a mess!

Is Wex's face getting gray or is that snow?

We are in a mess here. The parking lot is still not plowed. :mad: It's ridiculous! I don't know whats going on but this place must have ticked off the plow company. I guess yesterday they refused to answer the maintenance guys phone calls. Lee was a godsend!! He helped, well did most of the work, getting our cars out. Johns van is at the neighbors across the way. My car is all cleaned off in the back lot. I will not be able to go home because no van and he can't even get to the spot to take Wex out.

Some girl in a wheelchair just moved in and she has a big huge poodle. I assumed it was a service dog since you can only have little dogs here. But I found out its not, it's some kind of show dog. Hmmmmmm does that mean Cindy can get a dog? I'm going to check it out. I would love to get a release dog for myself. I would love a very small female. Like on of those mini labs. :D

Wex is very gray, you could really see it in that pic. :(

Hello to all of you with service dogs! My adult daughter who is disabled due to mitochondrial disease has a wonderful service dog named Gibson. I dream of one day being able to travel with her and Gibson on a cruise. Her condition is degenerative, so not sure if we will ever get to do it. At any rate, I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts and would like to share a link to an article from the UMDF fall 2012 newsletter. It was from an email Diana sent to UMDF regarding the Energy for Life Walkathon last fall. Scroll to page 26. Service dogs give back so much to their recipients, it is impossible to measure. Please keep up the good work, I will enjoy each new message. Thanks!

http://www.umdf.org/atf/cf/%7B8d4a231c-12fb-4a21-9a85-93c7bd0c5a5a%7D/UMDF_NEWSLETTER_FALL_2012_WEB.PDF

Hello to all of you with service dogs! My adult daughter who is disabled due to mitochondrial disease has a wonderful service dog named Gibson. I dream of one day being able to travel with her and Gibson on a cruise. Her condition is degenerative, so not sure if we will ever get to do it. At any rate, I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts and would like to share a link to an article from the UMDF fall 2012 newsletter. It was from an email Diana sent to UMDF regarding the Energy for Life Walkathon last fall. Scroll to page 26. Service dogs give back so much to their recipients, it is impossible to measure. Please keep up the good work, I will enjoy each new message. Thanks!

http://www.umdf.org/atf/cf/%7B8d4a231c-12fb-4a21-9a85-93c7bd0c5a5a%7D/UMDF_NEWSLETTER_FALL_2012_WEB.PDF

Insuregal, Welcome! You know what it's like having a Service Dog in your life.....unless someone has one, they'll never know the pure joy of having a partner in your life, who loves you just the way you are!!!!!!

I hope that one day you, your daughter and Gibson get the opportunity to experience life onboard a cruise ship. It's magical. I just love it! And, my dogs do too! Horton is getting used to it and hopefully will be as at ease and used to it as Brenny was!

My computer is acting-up at home, so I'll wait until I get to work tomorrow to open up the link you sent.

Please come back and tell us more about Gibson and your daughter.

We are in a mess here. The parking lot is still not plowed. :mad: It's ridiculous! I don't know whats going on but this place must have ticked off the plow company. I guess yesterday they refused to answer the maintenance guys phone calls. Lee was a godsend!! He helped, well did most of the work, getting our cars out. Johns van is at the neighbors across the way. My car is all cleaned off in the back lot. I will not be able to go home because no van and he can't even get to the spot to take Wex out.

Some girl in a wheelchair just moved in and she has a big huge poodle. I assumed it was a service dog since you can only have little dogs here. But I found out its not, it's some kind of show dog. Hmmmmmm does that mean Cindy can get a dog? I'm going to check it out. I would love to get a release dog for myself. I would love a very small female. Like on of those mini labs. :D

Wex is very gray, you could really see it in that pic. :(

Oh! Cindy! It sounds awful where you are. I hope it's over soon so you can get out of that snow mess. Hurry, book a cruise! :p

I know Wexy would love the company of another dog. And, what's up with the "show dog?"

Wexy's so young to be so gray. He's getting prematurely gray like some guys do!

Hello Insuregal - thank you so much for posting that link - I had not heard of mitochondrial disease and I thank you for sharing this as I continue to learn so much from this thread. I can tell from her writings that your daughter, Diana has such a special relationship with Gibson - gosh don't our dogs just give us so much love. :D

I enjoy tuning in to hear the latest news from our friends here, you'll always get a warm welcome! Mind you they've been freezing their paws off in Boston! we've had some snow here but nothing like they've had! Brrrrrrrr ....

Edited by fairbourne

Good morning! We are still in drought conditions here so only a few inches of snow this winter so far. Gibson loves the snow so is feeling very deprived. His sister Gracie has not been placed yet so she is still at Paws for Freedom in Tonganoxie, KS. Their Facebook site has a delightful video of Gracie devouring a snow kitty that someone built in the yard.

Gibson came to live with us on August 1, 2012. We had a "match day party". Photos from then are posted on the Paws for Freedom Facebook site as well. We are all so blessed to have Gibson in our lives. He has a real knack for entertaining. Diana calls him a clown because he can tell when your are laughing at him and enjoying his antics. So that makes him do it all the more. We cannot believe how much of a difference he has made in our lives.

Hope you are all successfully digging out from under all the snow!

Good morning! We are still in drought conditions here so only a few inches of snow this winter so far. Gibson loves the snow so is feeling very deprived. His sister Gracie has not been placed yet so she is still at Paws for Freedom in Tonganoxie, KS. Their Facebook site has a delightful video of Gracie devouring a snow kitty that someone built in the yard.

Gibson came to live with us on August 1, 2012. We had a "match day party". Photos from then are posted on the Paws for Freedom Facebook site as well. We are all so blessed to have Gibson in our lives. He has a real knack for entertaining. Diana calls him a clown because he can tell when your are laughing at him and enjoying his antics. So that makes him do it all the more. We cannot believe how much of a difference he has made in our lives.

Hope you are all successfully digging out from under all the snow!

I totally understand how dogs can be "clowns", now that I have one in my life. Brenda, my first Service Dog, who is now retired after working by my side for over 10 years, was NEVER a clown. I think that she thought that romping with another dog was silly. She now finds herself letting go of some of that "alpha" dog stuff and occasionally will romp with Horty and it's so much fun to see her letting her hair down, and doing the "clown" thing with him.

Of course, it doesn't last long and she'll stop herself, go up on her couch and watch him like the rest of us do.

Horton doesn't mind making a fool of himself......he rather enjoys it! The more we laugh and the kids giggle, the more he'll do, until his toy box is empty or all the dog beds have been turned upside down! He's a riot!

I'm going to start charging for the pure entertainment that he provides my family, on a daily basis!

I saw on the news about the latest Carnival ship to have issues at sea, so came on here to read about it. What would you all do if you were stuck on such a ship with your special needs and your service dog?

(If you don't know, there was an engine fire and the ship lost most of its power, so, according to the TV news reports, the passengers have had no a/c, only five flushing toilets on the whole ship, the ship is having them urinate in plastic bags and placing them in the hallways, they are eating things like onion sandwiches, the ship stinks of raw sewage, etc.)

I saw on the news about the latest Carnival ship to have issues at sea, so came on here to read about it. What would you all do if you were stuck on such a ship with your special needs and your service dog?

(If you don't know, there was an engine fire and the ship lost most of its power, so, according to the TV news reports, the passengers have had no a/c, only five flushing toilets on the whole ship, the ship is having them urinate in plastic bags and placing them in the hallways, they are eating things like onion sandwiches, the ship stinks of raw sewage, etc.)

I wonder how people in wheelchairs are getting around the ship if the elevators are not working. I know I couldn't carry my daughter up and down the stairs.

Happy Valentines Day to all the lovely ladies in here, and of course our resident male, DKD!!

We are all dug out and it's in the 40's so some nice melting going on. Of course this weekend we are getting more snow, but only 2-4 inches. :(

Planning a special dinner tonight for my guy. Lee has been set up on a date tonight. He knows the girl, since she is a friend of his best friends sister. But he is not happy about being set up on Valentines day. He had me cut his hair last night and he's trying to get some clothes together. I think his friends are tired of seeing him alone. He works in a place with 2 men, and doesn't frequent bars or go anywhere to meet anyone. So it's tough for him. Plus he is very shy, so he needs this little push. I want granbabies darnit!!!

Cindy

Qaum, I've been thinking about this a lot! What would I do? As long as Horton was allowed to go to his potty box and we were never separated, I don't see too much of a problem. If Morey were with us, it would be impossible. Morey can't walk stairs and would be rendered to one floor with his wheelchair.

The staff have an enormous responsibility in taking care of handicapped folks who can't walk or manage stairs.

I had a dream two nights ago that Horton fell into the ocean while I was onboard a cruise and everybody was screaming. I knew he had his life jacket on and I kept yelling at the Captain to stop the ship, stop the ship.......I made myself wake up because it was so disturbing! :(

I wonder how people in wheelchairs are getting around the ship if the elevators are not working. I know I couldn't carry my daughter up and down the stairs.

There is NO BACK-UP plan for those in wheelchairs, other than you are at the descretion of the crew. When you'll be assisted and where you will be put! Not so good!

Qaum, I've been thinking about this a lot! What would I do? As long as Horton was allowed to go to his potty box and we were never separated, I don't see too much of a problem. If Morey were with us, it would be impossible. Morey can't walk stairs and would be rendered to one floor with his wheelchair.

The staff have an enormous responsibility in taking care of handicapped folks who can't walk or manage stairs.

I had a dream two nights ago that Horton fell into the ocean while I was onboard a cruise and everybody was screaming. I knew he had his life jacket on and I kept yelling at the Captain to stop the ship, stop the ship.......I made myself wake up because it was so disturbing! :(

Q-U-A-M - OMG, I'm becoming dislexic in my old age! Sorry!

Happy Valentines Day to all the lovely ladies in here, and of course our resident male, DKD!!

We are all dug out and it's in the 40's so some nice melting going on. Of course this weekend we are getting more snow, but only 2-4 inches. :(

Planning a special dinner tonight for my guy. Lee has been set up on a date tonight. He knows the girl, since she is a friend of his best friends sister. But he is not happy about being set up on Valentines day. He had me cut his hair last night and he's trying to get some clothes together. I think his friends are tired of seeing him alone. He works in a place with 2 men, and doesn't frequent bars or go anywhere to meet anyone. So it's tough for him. Plus he is very shy, so he needs this little push. I want granbabies darnit!!!

Cindy

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY

Poor Lee, he doesn't have a chance......The plan is on.....Cindy wants to be a Grandmother!

Cindy, I hope your plan works. Young people today aren't in such a hurry to get married and have kids. They're waiting longer and longer.

Maybe it would be easier for you to get a puppy! ;) :p

Edited by wizard-of-roz

be-valentine.gif

Thanks and Happy Valentine to dobiemom and all here. I saw a really sweet Dobie this morning at the Vets office----had my cat there for shots. same color as your picture

The cat didn't seem to mind him so much. The dog came right up to the cat and nothing happened. While there was a mini dobie there and the cat didn't like him at all.

Horton goes to the Vet tomorrow for his International travel Certificate and his Vet-check and immunizations. I'm not good with shots and my dogs. I have to leave the room......I'm such a chicken. I know it doesn't hurt, it's like a tiny sting.....I know, I know but I can't stand to see my babies getting hurt in any way. It will also be the first time my big lug gets a shot with me as his Mommy! :eek:

I was going to take Brenny too but there's so much they don't do on a senior dog. We're going to give her a break and wait until it's closer to her birthday, which is on June 20th. She'll be going into her 14th year then and we'll see what he wants to do with my very favorite, adorable Black Lab.

DD and hubby have 7 cats... and counting. ;)

Uh! Oh! Sounds like a cat hoarding issue! Although, if I could I would have 20 dogs. I just love them. They're all so different and so wonderful to have around.

I'd have all different breeds and lots of money to give them everything they want and deserve! ;)