Recipes from the Carnival Kitchens

PineappleGal

Hi Pineapple Girl!

Thank you so much for doing this! As I didn't want to buy the whole book for just one recipe...

Anyhow I was wondering if you perhaps had the recipe for the Red Potato Salad that they serve at the Grill Area up on deck?

Thanks again~ Jh

Oh oh! I could also use the recipe for the American Navy Bean Soup. My son loved that!

Thank you thank you thank you!

PS My wife is making the Pumpkin Soup tonight :)

Just wondering How did the Pumpkin Soup come out? Was it like that ship? Let me know...Feedback is welcome...

:rolleyes: What a kind person you must be! My absolute favorite Carnival cocktail is "Kiss On The Lips" Would you happen to have that recipe?

I will be on the Victory in August but would love to try to recreate it before then.

The Kiss on the Lips recipe is located on my other Thread "Carnival Cocktails" I know alot of people are looking for that recipe.

Recipes I don't have in the book:

• Bitter and Blanc
  • Red Potato Salad
  • Chilled Orange Sory - ask Ppeckham (I would like that too)
  • American Navy Bean Soup
  • Grand Mariner(Spelling Wrong) Souffle
  • Vanilla Souffle
  • Hot Custard
  • Tiramisu
  • Vine Ripe Cream of Tomato w/ Touch of Gin

**If anyone has these recipes I would love it you could share it with the rest of us, I know I would like these items as well**Sorry once again that I don't have these recipes, I should post a list of possible recipes so we don't have this happen again. Sorry again***

• Bitter and Blanc
  • Red Potato Salad
  • Vanilla Souffle
  • Hot Custard
  • Tiramisu

**If anyone has these recipes I would love it you could share it with the rest of us, I know I would like these items as well**Sorry once again that I don't have these recipes, I should post a list of possible recipes so we don't have this happen again. Sorry again***

Most of those are ones that many of us have looked for over the years... and while many will post a copycat, we have rarely seen the Carnival recipe. I am waiting for them to come out with some new cookbooks!! As much as I love mine, I want some new ones! The bitter and blanc has been one of the biggest requests on CC... there have been some copycats posted, I've never tried them... you may want to do a search and see what you think.

• Bitter and Blanc
  • Red Potato Salad
  • Vanilla Souffle
  • Hot Custard
  • Tiramisu

I knew that might happen. Anyhow, I have found a few copycat recipes online that I will be merging & adapting to try and replicate the Red Potato Salad I found on board, I will let you all know how things go.

~ Jh

PineappleGal,

My wife did make the Pumpkin Soup. My daughter and my wife were the ones that had it on the cruise; I never tasted it on the ship. First, my wife did scale the recipe back a little from the 300 serving size given ;) . I don't know how much she reduced it by, but we still had a lot of soup!

At first taste, my daughter wasn't sure that my wife's creation was as good as what she had on the ship (although she thought it was good). However, when she had some more later, she said something like "I don't know, maybe it tastes about the same". My opinion is that nothing you have at home is going to taste quite the same as it will on the ship (especially when you've got to clean up your own mess when you're done!). My sons and I - who didn't taste the soup onboard - all thought is was very good.

Thanks again for doing this!!

Tom

Hi Pineapplegal,

You are so sweet to offer to do this.

The recipes I'm looking for might be a stretch, but I'd appreciate if you'd check for them.

I'm looking for the steak salad with asian vinagrette dressing. Also, there was a pasta salad on the lido deck at lunch that had shredded cheddar in it.

Thanks so much!

Hi Pineapplegal,

You are so sweet to offer to do this. The recipes I'm looking for might be a stretch, but I'd appreciate if you'd check for them.I'm looking for the steak salad with asian vinagrette dressing. Also, there was a pasta salad on the lido deck at lunch that had shredded cheddar in it.Thanks so much!

I will try to post the steak salad later today, currently I am at school and will be unable to get this out to you. Don't worry I won't forget about you.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi PineappleGal Thanks for all the recipes they are great, also taking the time to post. I'm looking for Pan Seared Filler of Tilapia Is it in the book?Thanks Karen. We had this on the Liberty in March.:)

Hi PineappleGal Thanks for all the recipes they are great, also taking the time to post. I'm looking for Pan Seared Filler of Tilapia Is it in the book?Thanks Karen. We had this on the Liberty in March.:)

Pan Seared Tilapia

Equipment:

Frying pan

Dish

Small bowl

Spatula or Fish Spatula

Ingredients:

Tilapia fillets

Milk

Spices (See below for Spices; I Italiced(sp?) them)

Oil/butter

Preparation:

Place fillets in dish and cover with milk and allow to soak for at least an hour, or overnight in the refrigerator. Milk helps with any flavor or other issues when using bargain fillets or fillets that are more than a day or so old, or with very strong tasting fish. In the small bowl, place spices such as granulated garlic, fresh ground black pepper, orange peel, red pepper, and such to create a dry rub mixture. If you need to cheat, use something like Mrs. Dash augmented with things liked smoked paprika, dill, etc. Pour off the milk and sprinkle rub on one side. Heat the skillet on medium to medium high, oil as needed, and place fillets in rub side down. Sprinkle bare side with rub mixture. Turn as needed, and remove from heat.

Sauce: Tilapia Cream Sauce

Equipment:

Sauce Pot

Spoon

Whisk

Ingredients:

Tilapia ends, pieces, etc.

Oyster juice

Water

Butter

Capers

Heavy cream

Kosher salt

Fresh ground black pepper

Preparation:

See if your fishmonger has some scrap tilapia, or if they only get what comes in, purchase a small fillet or such. Place fish in saucepan and add about a cup of water and half the bottle of oyster juice. Over medium heat, let the mixture simmer for an hour or so until the fish is done and the flavor of the tilapia has spread. Remove the fish and then add pepper and some capers. Reduce the mixture by at least two thirds, maybe a bit more, until the flavors have intensified. Then and only then add salt to taste. Add in 1T or so of butter, and then a small amount of cream and mix/whisk well. Remove from heat, taste, and re-season as necessary. Serve warm over the tilapia fillets.

**Any questions let me know, sorry that I don't have the measurements but I guess if your having a couple of people then eye-ball it**

GOOD LUCK!!

I have obtained this from Carnival. Unfortunately, it's for 700 people :eek: :eek:

I have a contact at my work who might be able to cut it down. I'll repost if I get that done...

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche pudding

Portions :700

Ingredients Quantity

Egg yolk 15 lb

Sugar 10 lb

Brioche bread 36 no. ( 9 four inch pans)

Heavy cream 14 ea

White chocolate 40 lbs

Butter 15 lbs

Meringue :

Egg whites 12 lb

Sugar 8 lb

For Vanilla sauce :

Milk 6 ltr

Sugar 1 kg

Corn flour 300 gms

Egg yolks 40 ea

Vanilla extract few drops

For greasing :

Butter solids 4 lbs

Sugar 6 lb

Ganache 8 lb

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar, cream yolks & cornflour & whisk in the milk,add vanilla extract & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain
  • Remove the sides of the brioche bread, cut into dices & soak in cream.
  • Melt the chocolate with butter & keep aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted chocolate on slow speed.
  • Add the bread & cream, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue & fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease the soufflé cup, put one spoon of ganache on the base, portion out the pudding mixture, keep aside.
  • Bake in the evening at 180 f for 45 mins. Remove, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

Hi Pineapplegal,

At the risk of being a pest, this is just a reminder of my previous post. :o

I'm looking for the steak salad with asian vinagrette dressing. Also, there was a pasta salad on the lido deck at lunch that had shredded cheddar in it.

Thanks so much!

Hi Pineapplegal,

At the risk of being a pest, this is just a reminder of my previous post. :o

I'm looking for the steak salad with asian vinagrette dressing. Also, there was a pasta salad on the lido deck at lunch that had shredded cheddar in it.Thanks so much!

Sorry again, I've been looking all over for the Steak Salad w/asian vinagrette and couldn't find the recipe. Also with the pasta salad someone asked me early about that and I couldn't find that also. Sorry once again. Any other requests?

How about the chilled avacado soup.....yummy.

Pineapplegal, you really are a sweetheart for doing all of this!

Thank you so much.

Chilled Avacado Soup

Serves/Makes:12

Ingredients

• 3 cucumbers, peeled, seeded and diced.
  • 1 clove minced garlic
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) ground cumin
  • 1 tsp (5 ml) ground ancho chili (or chili powder)
  • 1/4 cup (60 ml) chopped cilantro
  • juice of 2 limes
  • 1 quart (950 ml) of low-fat buttermilk
  • 12 oz (336 grm). plain yogurt
  • 5 ripe avocados
  • 2 cups (475 ml) chicken stock or water
  • salt
  • pinch or more of cayenne pepper
  • pinch of dried mint

Preparation

• Puree avocados with lime juice in a blender or food processor.
  • Put puree into large bowl and wisk in yogurt, buttermilk, and chicken stock.
  • Add chili powder, garlic, cumin, cayenne and mint.
  • Stir in the diced cucumber.
  • Taste for salt (at least 1/4 tsp)
  • Garnish the soup with cilantro.

GOOD LUCK; Any questions let me know!!

Pineapple Gal - is there a recipe for Tomato Soup? I've had it on only one ship (in Europe) and it was incredibly good. I think I had 3 bowls.

What am I asking? I don't even cook! But if you find the recipe, I'll find someone to make it and I promise I'll do the dishes!

I have obtained this from Carnival. Unfortunately, it's for 700 people :eek: :eek:

I have a contact at my work who might be able to cut it down. I'll repost if I get that done...

I got it! We made it tonight and it tastes like the real thing, as far as I can remember. WARNING - it takes a long time, with a lot of measuring and weighing, and you will use many pots and pans and bowls. Do it when you have a lot of time.

Bitter & Blanc Chocolate Brioche Pudding

serves 8

Ingredients / Quantity

For Vanilla Sauce:

Whole Milk / 6 ounces liquid

Sugar / 1 ounce (2 Tbsp)

Cornstarch / 1 Tbsp.

Egg yolks / 2 quantity

Vanilla Extract / 1 tsp.

For Pudding & Meringue Mixture:

PUDDING:

Brioche bread, crusts removed / 8 ounces

Egg yolk / 3 ounces

Sugar / 2 ounces (4 Tbsp)

Heavy cream / 5 ounces liquid

White chocolate / 8 ounces

Butter / 3 ounces (6 Tbsp)

MERINGUE:

Egg whites / 2 ounces or 1/4 cup (about 2-3 yolks)

Sugar / 1 1/2 ounces (3 Tbsp)

For Ganache:

Dark Chocolate / 6 ounces

Heavy Cream / 4 ounces liquid

For greasing :

Butter solids / 1-2 Tbsp to coat

Sugar / 1-2 tsp to coat

METHOD :

• For Vanilla sauce, boil milk & sugar in small saucepan. In small bowl, cream yolks & cornstarch; whisk in the milk, add vanilla extract. Pour back into saucepan & cook on slow heat till it reaches a coating consistency. Strain lumps. (may add a few drops of milk if too thick).
  • For Ganache: In saucepan, heat heavy cream to simmer. Put dark chocolate into bowl and pour simmering cream over chocolate. Stir gently until smooth. Cool slightly.
  • For Pudding: Remove the crusts of the brioche bread, dice into squares. Put in large bowl and pour cream over bread; let soak in.
  • In saucepan, melt the white chocolate with 6 Tbsp. butter & set aside.
  • In a mixing bowl, cream sugar & yolk, add the melted white chocolate/butter mixture on slow speed.
  • Add the cream-soaked bread, mix well.
  • In a separate bowl, prepare meringue by whipping room temperature egg whites and sugar til thickened; fold into the bread mixture.
  • Grease individual soufflé cups with butter and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Spoon a layer of ganache into the bottom of each cup. Top with bread pudding mixture.

Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 mins. Remove, cool slightly, dust with powdered sugar & serve with vanilla sauce.

NOTES; Brioche is a spongy textured, sweeter, egg bread. Whole Foods had it ($5.99 per loaf - NOT!!) Trader Joe's has brioche rolls (not a loaf) for $2.99 - I used 4 of the 6 rolls and had 2 left for sandwiches. You could substitute a combination of Kings Hawaiian sweet bread and yellow dinner rolls if you can't find brioche - my chef contact said don't do it - it wouldn't be the same.

Culinary bakers use scales for everything - hence the "3 ounces egg yolk, 2 ounces egg white, 8 ounces bread." I have a kitchen scale and weighed the eggs yolks and whites.

Good Luck!

Gail