Dream Room Cleaning Trial

Hotdog 52

It appears that the once a day comprehensive cabin cleaning is fleet wide now with Carnival.

Ice replenishment and fresh towels are still done twice daily if you ask your steward to do so.

Turndown service is not affected.

Sent from my STV100-2 using Forums mobile app

It appears to be in a trial stage on just a few ships but do think down the road they will make it once a day fleetwide

We were on Magic last week and it was being done. It was no big deal. We opted for morning service which is when the bed got made, the carpet cleaned and towels replenished. He still came in the evening to deliver the Funtimes and provide turn-down.

I believe the trial was for the steward to only come in one time a day. If you chose morning, he wouldn't come in the evening and provide clean towels and turn down service. He wouldn't actually clean the room twice a day. Glad to hear that you get morning service and turndown service in the evening with clean towels.;p

As long as we get clean towels and washcloths twice a day or enough for each to bathe twice I'm fine with it. We hardly ever even use the ice in buckets so that's unnecessary. But we for sure like to shower in the morning and before dinner and I do not use towels twice, call me spoiled but I will not.

Great, sounds like someone finally got the memo about unhappy customers and things are finally settling down. Last cruise in Jan., on a different line, out room steward told me he had 15 cabins to look after. 35 seems a little high.:rolleyes:

Great, sounds like someone finally got the memo about unhappy customers and things are finally settling down. Last cruise in Jan., on a different line, out room steward told me he had 15 cabins to look after. 35 seems a little high.:rolleyes:

Actually when our Steward asked us what we wanted he told us the reason they were now asking for a preference was due to complaints from people who didn't want the Stewards coming into their rooms twice a day.

Also I don't think this would really be a cost cutting change for Carnival since the Stewards are almost entirely compensated with tips.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Actually when our Steward asked us what we wanted he told us the reason they were now asking for a preference was due to complaints from people who didn't want the Stewards coming into their rooms twice a day.

Also I don't think this would really be a cost cutting change for Carnival since the Stewards are almost entirely compensated with tips.

Find it hard to believe what your steward told you. Standard on cruise lines is full service in morning and turndown at night.

Most cruisers would not even know the history behind this and would tip the same.

I don't think this is a trial any more. We were on 3 ships in Jan and Feb....Pride, Glory and Sunshine. On all three ships, we were asked by the cabin steward. They actually showed/gave me the form to fill out. There were 3 choices. Morning, evening or both. You could also check off for extra towels, ice, bathrobes and a couple more items. Sorry I do not remember but the list was for about 6 items. I only checked off for a bathrobe and service for both morning and evening.

Find it hard to believe what your steward told you. Standard on cruise lines is full service in morning and turndown at night.

Most cruisers would not even know the history behind this and would tip the same.

We asked him what most people were choosing and he said "once a day' date=' just like a hotel". To be honest, when they quit giving out chocolates/mints in the evening the turndown service doesn't seem as exciting.

On our very first cruise in 2000 we were seated with a very young couple who were obviously on a tight budget for the trip. They were questioning why the room Steward came twice a day and were wishing she would come less so they wouldn't have to tip so much at the end of the cruise.

We asked him what most people were choosing and he said "once a day, just like a hotel". To be honest, when they quit giving out chocolates/mints in the evening the turndown service doesn't seem as exciting.

On our very first cruise in 2000 we were seated with a very young couple who were obviously on a tight budget for the trip. They were questioning why the room Steward came twice a day and were wishing she would come less so they wouldn't have to tip so much at the end of the cruise.

They gave room stewards more rooms to clean when they started this and since most people dont know any different they will pay the same for once or twice a day service. As a result stewards will push one a day any way they can. Human nature same pay per cabin for less work.

When you leave auto tips on you pay the same tip for once or twice a day service.

I may be in the minority but I am MORE THAN HAPPY for once-a-day room steward service. Always in the past I felt like I had to leave the stateroom in the morning before I was ready to, so he/she would be able to come in and clean. But, there were a few times when I just put a sticky note on the door letting them know we didn't require morning service that day, or if I saw them in the hall the night before I would tell them personally.

So, I was very happy when they started asking which you prefer, morning, or evening, or both.

We were on the Dream in January and our room steward gave us the form to check off which cleaning (s) we wanted, and we chose night time. It was so nice not having to worry about her wanting to come in the morning to clean. There were also boxes to check off on the form if you wanted robes, extra towels, ice, etc.

We did ask for extra towels daily, and ice at night. It worked out very well, and we left our auto tips on plus tipped her extra at the beginning AND at the end. Coming in once a day to clean shaves off what...maybe 10 minutes....or 15....of the amount of time they spend per cabin? I still feel that they work hard and I wouldn't dream of cutting their tip in half because they were only coming in once daily.

I may be in the minority but I am MORE THAN HAPPY for once-a-day room steward service. Always in the past I felt like I had to leave the stateroom in the morning before I was ready to, so he/she would be able to come in and clean. But, there were a few times when I just put a sticky note on the door letting them know we didn't require morning service that day, or if I saw them in the hall the night before I would tell them personally.

So, I was very happy when they started asking which you prefer, morning, or evening, or both.

We were on the Dream in January and our room steward gave us the form to check off which cleaning (s) we wanted, and we chose night time. It was so nice not having to worry about her wanting to come in the morning to clean. There were also boxes to check off on the form if you wanted robes, extra towels, ice, etc.

We did ask for extra towels daily, and ice at night. It worked out very well, and we left our auto tips on plus tipped her extra at the beginning AND at the end. Coming in once a day to clean shaves off what...maybe 10 minutes....or 15....of the amount of time they spend per cabin? I still feel that they work hard and I wouldn't dream of cutting their tip in half because they were only coming in once daily.

If we ever have to choose once a day service and think down the road that is their plan, why tip the same for less service? Would not take off half but think some amount say 20% is reasonable.

Micah's Grandad and I have been following this for about a year and a half now. It hasn't been this smooth in the past. They didn't always have the cards that you had the option to choose both although they said all ship participating in the trial did. Since things are quiet now, it seems that the trial is about over. Young cruisers didn't know they could have both because the steward wouldn't give them the choice.:)

It's not going away...... and it has settled down. Options are a good thing (while I understand the other side). We had a 20 room group aboard the Vista and during a get together near the end of the cruise, I asked every single cabin their thoughts on this "trial". 19 to 1 in terms of people who thought it was a non issue and 8 of those who it was a plus.

We were on the Magic B2B in January. I must have been on a different cruise line as the cabin steward never said anything but cordial introductions. Cabin was cleaned twice a day without question

We were on the Breeze two weeks ago and I was also a member of a FB group for that cruise which had almost 400 members.

Afterwards, the room cleaning situation was discussed on there and the vast majority of the respondents were asked by their Steward what they wanted. Of the few people that were not asked by their Stewards, all of them did receive the standard twice a day service.

So it is possible that some Stewards are just not asking and are doing what they always have done in the past.