Can I use my ipad on the ship?

FliLady

I have 3g + wifi and I'm wondering if I will be able to use my ipad on the ship without incurring additional costs? What has your experience been with using your ipad on the ship?
I believe that in order to use the 3G, you'll need to connect through the ship's cell service, which is $2.49/minute, charged by your provider, not Princess. I have the WiFi version of the iPad and have had very mixed results using my iPad with the ship's WiFi service. I used it on my Crown T/A last September and 10-day on the Sapphire in January with similar results. Most of the time, the signal disconnects and I can't get back on. You'll need to purchase an Internet package to use the ship's WiFi.

What are internet charges on Princess. As a Platinum member we get 150 minutes/7 day cruises which we barely use and connection is very slow. However my daughter and son-in-law bringing their lap top and I wonder what will be plan like for them?

Currently on the Emerald and will be in FLL early tomorrow AM. I have my iPad with me and my wife has her netbook. We're Elite and each get 250 minutes internet.

I see no difference in connectivity or speed between the two.

Her netbook is easier to browse the net with although we don't really do that when at sea. Doing it now for a quick look and we have over 3 hours time left.

The netbook is also much better to use for skype. We can make a video call. With my iPad I can only do voice although we can get the incoming video. We can talk and we can see them but they can't see us. With the netbook we can see and talk to each other. With the iPad 2 coming out this week that problem will go away. we willo be able to do video too.

Although I have 3G available I hardly use it. At sea I would only use the ship's WIFI.

FYI ...this is sent from the netbook.

What are internet charges on Princess. As a Platinum member we get 150 minutes/7 day cruises which we barely use and connection is very slow. However my daughter and son-in-law bringing their lap top and I wonder what will be plan like for them?

Using WIFI is the same cost as using the ship's computers in their Internet Cafe.

First there is a $3.95 initial sign up charge (once per cruise per user; free for platinum/elite passengers). Then 75 cents/minute unless you purchase a package. No refund for package minutes not used.

Packages:

100 minutes $55.00

150 minutes $75.00

250 minutes $100.00

500 minutes $175.00

If you sign up for a package the first day, there is usually some free bonus minutes. You can also pre-pay for a package at http://www.princess.com/learn/onboard/gifts_services/communications/index.jsp and this will include more bonus minutes than you would get onboard. If you pre-pay, it will also include the 3.95 initial sign-on fee.

The package minutes can be used both on your own computer and on the ship's computers in the Internet Cafe.

The first time you use the Internet onboard, there will be instructions on how to set up your account and select a password.

Please note that on your own computer you must sign out with an address of 1.1.1.1 or your minutes may continue to be counted down.

If you sign up on board for a package, you do so either on your own laptop or one of the ship's computers in the Internet Cafe. Either way, you can do it without the need to interact with the Internet Cafe manager.

If you pre-cruise purchase a package to get those extra bonus minutes, you cannot sign onto the internet on the ship to use that package until you speak with the Internet Cafe manager, so it could delay you from getting online until the hours that the Internet Cafe manager comes on duty at a time you can meet with him/her.

My iPad is WiFi only. It worked perfectly in my cabin, in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater on the Emerald Princess. I brought my Apple keyboard and typed a diary each day and checked my email when I was in my cabin. I surfed the Internet in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater. The iPad also worked great connecting to open WiFis in some harbors from my ship balcony.

My iPad is WiFi only. It worked perfectly in my cabin, in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater on the Emerald Princess. I brought my Apple keyboard and typed a diary each day and checked my email when I was in my cabin. I surfed the Internet in Horizon Court and in Princess Theater. The iPad also worked great connecting to open WiFis in some harbors from my ship balcony.
I wonder if there are differences with the ships. I couldn't use my iPad in my cabin, in the Internet Cafe or anywhere on the ship that I brought it to on both the Crown and the Sapphire. I had the most recent software update and the only time I had a stable connection was if I woke up early in the morning, between 6-7am. I tried it off and on during the day, evening and night, as late as midnight with little success. Same thing for my iPhone, which I also tried.

on the golden last cruise, the only place my hubby could get wifi in the cabin was sitting in the bathroom.

Sorry...bad sense of humor! Guess you could call it bathroom humor!:

Edited by goinsoon

I wonder if there are differences with the ships. I couldn't use my iPad in my cabin, in the Internet Cafe or anywhere on the ship that I brought it to on both the Crown and the Sapphire. I had the most recent software update and the only time I had a stable connection was if I woke up early in the morning, between 6-7am. I tried it off and on during the day, evening and night, as late as midnight with little success. Same thing for my iPhone, which I also tried.

I had no problems using my iPad on the Sapphire the week before you were on the Sapphire. I only used it in my cabin as I had no problems and didn't seek a signal elsewhere. I did see several others using theirs through out the ship (in the dining room on disembarkation day, wheelhouse lounge, etc..). While I didn't ask - they seemed to be surfing away.

Edited by Coral

On our 14 day cruise from LA to Hawaii on the Golden, when in port I was able to use the 3G for no charge. *While at sea, I used the ship's Internet, never exceeding our Platinum minutes. *Also, I *was able to access the internet while in my mini suite at times.

We had no problem using our iPad in our cabin on the Emerald last month. Late in the evening when the satellite had heavy usage, it was a bit slow. Although we had lots of free minutes, what took time was writing emails while online. To remedy that as soon as I got home, I downloaded the app Pages. It will allow me to compose offline and then connect to send. I can also copy and paste the emails I receive to read offline.

Yep, I understand that some folks need the connectivity for business...but I wonder how long before you walk out on the deck of a ship by the pool to find everyone connected to their iwhatever.

May the age of connectivity go on forever...can I get an amen!

"Pages" is the Mac word processing program. It is available for $10 on the iPad...it has a nifty feature that allows you hit a button to and send the document as an email...so legitimately you can write multiple letters and then send them once you are connected. Additionally, I can compose messages and save them as drafts in my email program (built into the iPad) while offline and then send them once connected. Hope that helps!

Can you read the Nook color in the sun?

I have heard that because the nook color is an lcd screen, it's difficult to read in direct sunlight. But maybe people with one, can give you a better idea. That's only what I've heard.

• 3 weeks later...
What app pages did you download to allow you to compose emails off line?

I have yahoo as my email and I can go in to yahoo offline and type my messages and notes and the at the top go to save as draft and when you are connected just bring it up and send. You can do the composing while off line

Just returned from an Ocean Princess cruise...

Used my iPad everywhere on the ship. Connected most of the time without any problems.

I was really burning thru the minutes until I learned to download my email and disconnect. I'd compose off line, and my email program would send it the next time I connected.

If I wanted or tried to read news sources online, it would have resulted in a humungous bill.

I probably used 500 min on a 12 day cruise.

Bob

Just returned from an Ocean Princess cruise...

Used my iPad everywhere on the ship. Connected most of the time without any problems.

I was really burning thru the minutes until I learned to download my email and disconnect. I'd compose off line, and my email program would send it the next time I connected.

If I wanted or tried to read news sources online, it would have resulted in a humungous bill.

I probably used 500 min on a 12 day cruise.

Bob

Obviously I am not great with a computer, but am trying. I have an iPad that I plan to take on next cruise. How do I disconnect from the internet once connected? My experience is that once I access the wifi system wherever I am, it connects automatically as long as I am within the area. It sounds like a great idea to just download the emails and then disconnect.

Thanks for any help.

Janet

Obviously I am not great with a computer, but am trying. I have an iPad that I plan to take on next cruise. How do I disconnect from the internet once connected? My experience is that once I access the wifi system wherever I am, it connects automatically as long as I am within the area. It sounds like a great idea to just download the emails and then disconnect.

Thanks for any help.

Janet

Logoff the same way you would with a laptop, 1.1.1.1