on board ship tours

falootin

I don't know of any cruise lines that actually let passengers into the engine room. Some will take you into the engine control room.

It would be a very noisy place to visit, so no tours there. I took the Ultimate Ship Tour on Princess in June and we did visit the control room. There we could see the engines on the TV screens the crew use to monitor them, as well as the dials, displays and other monitoring tools they have available to keep them running efficiently.

We have done the 'Fun Tour" on Carnival which is their behind the scenes tour where they take you in to the engine room. There the chief engineer explains things and answers questions. There are TV monitors that show different areas of the engine room and you can see and watch crew in them.

The cost for Fantasy Class ships was $55@, conquest class was $99. You must leave cameras and phones behind, no open toe shoes and no skirts for the ladies. The bridge is the last stop where you meet the captain & bridge crew. The tour lasts more than 2+ hours. It was well worth the cost of the tour!

There is also a free short tour but you do not go to all the places you do on the "Fun Tour".

We have done the 'Fun Tour" on Carnival which is their behind the scenes tour where they take you in to the engine room. There the chief engineer explains things and answers questions. There are TV monitors that show different areas of the engine room and you can see and watch crew in them.

Incorrect. This is not the engine room - this is the control room. No cruise line that I am aware of permits passengers in the actual engine room on any ship. It is not permitted due to safety and security reasons.

YOU ARE RIGHT!!i SHOULD HAVE SAID THE ENGINE CONTROL ROOM. SORRY OI MISSED THIS WHEN I RE-READ IT!

Just din't want to leave a false expectation with the OP regarding that type of tour. :) That being said the comprehensive behind the scenes tours offered by many of the cruise lines are very interesting and IMO well worth the cost. Not very often you have a chance to see the engine control room, bridge, and many of the other areas shown.