Jet lag

bearette

We're also from Califonia so same time difference - The first time I took my twins to Europe, I followed lots of the advice I got, which was to immediately get them on local time, and we were all miserable. The last two times I just let it happen naturally - they slept later and stayed up later, but we were on vacation, so it didn't matter (and they loved the excitment of being up for awhile after dinner). It also made coming back to our own time zone much easier. I always had snacks in port in case they got hungry between local meal times and it helped that we had so much fun playing in each port that they were tired at the end of the day. They often napped in the stroller while we were in port - or if it was a sea day, we all napped.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

Edited by Kerry's Girls

Agree with Mia.

We had almost the same situation where we tried to adjust schedules and it was a MESS.

Now, we're of the belief that if the body wants to sleep-then the body wants to sleep. You may miss a few things, but that is ok because you'll save your sanity.

It will be easier if you are able to arrive a few days sooner, also bring a stroller so they can nap anywhere if needed.

Have a great trip. Let us know how it goes. :)

I think it really just depends on the child. We went to Europe when our was 8 months and 18 months. Both times he had no trouble adjusting. The flights over were too exciting for him to get much sleep and we pretty much just let him to what he wanted that first day (sleep, wake, eat). Bath time and bed time pushed out a little due to late naps - but he was back on schedule soon enough.

While we are at it. Any tips for the plane ride? I was hoping they would sleep part of it but maybe not...where you able to walk around with your kids. My son is content to sit with us but my daughter isn't always. I wondered if they were strict about making you stay seated or if we could go for a stroll on the plane. I am getting more nervous as it gets closer.

I have one who will sleep on the plane and one who NEVER will. If the seatbelt sign isn't on, you're allowed to stand in the back (never in the front anymore). The most important thing for us is to have lots of different amusements and snacks in little ziplocs so I can keep pulling out something new as anyone gets restless. Snack-wise, for planes I'm of the "whatever works" view lollypops and treats they don't usually get. Post-its and bendaroos and other small 99 cent store toys work great in addition to electronics. Bring your own unspillable drink cups - nothing worse than being stuck in a wet seat from a spill. Also, plan for long delays on the plane - have your own food and drinks in case you're stuck waiting on the runway at the start or end of the flight.

Best,

Mia

While we are at it. Any tips for the plane ride? I was hoping they would sleep part of it but maybe not...where you able to walk around with your kids. My son is content to sit with us but my daughter isn't always. I wondered if they were strict about making you stay seated or if we could go for a stroll on the plane. I am getting more nervous as it gets closer.

How old?

The trips to Europe were ok - but the loads were light so we had a fair amount of space to move around. The flight back seemed to drag on and on because he refused to have a quick sleep.

We also did the west coast (we're EST) in May; the flight out was fine, lots to see and do - but the flight back he was all jazzed up for fun. And it was packed to capacity. Single aisle A320. It... was.... a long flight for us, especially with him on my lap. And sorry to that dude sitting in front of us - but when you recline into an adult holding a toddler, you have to realize the toddler is going to, well, kick and push....

You can certainly walk around as much as you want, as long as the seat belt signs are off.