Can I use my iphone just for photos on ship?

cayenneblue

My teenage :confused:daughter wants to use her iphone to take photos only. Is that possible without racking up huge charges?

She gets TONS of texts, so I know we need to turn that off. Will airplane mode, and having AT&T turn off international roaming make that impossible, or is there still a chance that some may come through?

If we do that, can she still take photos? And if she does take the photos, can they be uploaded at a later time (back in the US)?

Thanks. She loves the pictures that her iphone takes, but I don't want to take any chances!

My teenage :confused:daughter wants to use her iphone to take photos only. Is that possible without racking up huge charges?

She gets TONS of texts, so I know we need to turn that off. Will airplane mode, and having AT&T turn off international roaming make that impossible, or is there still a chance that some may come through?

If we do that, can she still take photos? And if she does take the photos, can they be uploaded at a later time (back in the US)?

Thanks. She loves the pictures that her iphone takes, but I don't want to take any chances!

Yes, you can disable the phone and just use it for the camera.

Turn off data roaming and LEAVE it off. If she turns it on once it will receive everything that has backed up and she will receive all texts and emails at once...at 20 cents per kb. That doesn't sound like much, but a typical 2 MB data plan at 20 centa a kb is over $2k! We thought we were doing the right thing by leaving it off and turning it on just to receive and send a quick text or two....until we received our bill with over $400 in data roaming charges.

You can also call your cellular operator (I just did this yesterday) and purchase a package of international texts for the cruise...I got 50 texts for the week for $2.32. Received texts do NOT count against the 50, just what I send. Much better than the $400 from last year....

You can still send texts while data roaming is off, according to what the ATT girl told me.

Edited by sredish

Turn off data roaming and LEAVE it off. If she turns it on once it will receive everything that has backed up and she will receive all texts and emails at once...at 20 cents per kb. That doesn't sound like much, but a typical 2 MB data plan at 20 centa a kb is over $2k! We thought we were doing the right thing by leaving it off and turning it on just to receive and send a quick text or two....until we received our bill with over $400 in data roaming charges.

You can also call your cellular operator (I just did this yesterday) and purchase a package of international texts for the cruise...I got 50 texts for the week for $2.32. Received texts do NOT count against the 50, just what I send. Much better than the $400 from last year....

You can still send texts while data roaming is off, according to what the ATT girl told me.

You can absolutely still send and receive texts and calls when data roaming is turned off. My data roaming is ALWAYS turned off when I am abroad (which is quite often...I'm writing this from Bengaluru, India), and I still am able to use my phone and text without ever getting hit with a data fee.

Data roaming protects against downloads/uploads that occur in the background, but does nothing to stop incoming/outgoing texts and calls. I always keep my phone in airplane mode once we are out of US waters and have never had an issue. You can even turn on wifi in airplane mode if you want to pay to connect to the ship's internet without worry of any additional charges.

Can the phone be set to NOT take anything that results in charges, easy and as long as you do it right, sure proof.

As to the pictures, I like many others have come to love the convenience of a camera in the phone, but the size of the sensor and lense result in nothing more suitable than a picture for sharing on facebook/WEB. If you wan't pictures that are suitable for printing or larger get a nice cheap camera. Even a hundred dollar camera while not as cool in features will take better pictures.

Once back in coveage you can upload like always, probably why everyone likes their iPhone. For the standa alone phone that inconvenience is what is going to drive that part of the market to 0 in a few years.. wonder why Sony/Nikon/Canon can't figure out that is what the users need/want to keep their product relevant

Thank you for the information on this. We have iPhones and I was worried about charges when we cruise. My kids love having the camera and music on their phones.

As for a camera that cost a couple hundred dollars taking better pictures than the iPhone, I have to disagree. My phone takes pictures (and videos) that are MUCH better than my Canon. And it isn't nearly as bulky. We will definitely be putting our phones in airplane mode and use the camera and iTunes.

As for a camera that cost a couple hundred dollars taking better pictures than the iPhone, I have to disagree. My phone takes pictures (and videos) that are MUCH better than my Canon.

It's time to get a new camera. :D my iPhones are ok cameras at best. They aren't even close to a $200 Point and Shoot. The image sensor alone makes the difference obvious.

With that being said, this is all true information. Airplane mode will work perfectly for what you would like to do. An iPhone in airplane mode is essentially and iPod.

It's time to get a new camera. :D my iPhones are ok cameras at best. They aren't even close to a $200 Point and Shoot. The image sensor alone makes the difference obvious.

With that being said, this is all true information. Airplane mode will work perfectly for what you would like to do. An iPhone in airplane mode is essentially and iPod.

Do you have the newest iphone? The camera is very impressive.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using Tapatalk

The iPhone 4s has an amazing camera! I plan to use it for all my photos onboard instead of taking a point-n-shoot.

Turn on "Airplane mode" (settings > airplane mode > on) and it won't take calls or texts. That basically turns the iPhone into an iPod. You can still play games, listen to music, take and view photos, store contact info. Just can't do anything that would require a cell signal, wifi signal, or internet connection (no facebook, texting, YouTube, app store, phone calls, etc.)

If you are in Airplane Mode, you don't need to worry about data roaming because all your incoming and outgoing data transfers are restricted, but I suppose it would be a good idea anyway just as a backup.

Nikon 1 2000.00 NOT, about 599 or something. It is pricey, but trust me whipes the 4s. Matter of fact any modern P&S is superior. Not to say that the 4s can't take pictures that rival my D3s sometimes, but many a time its just good enough and I wish for something more. What is nice its always in my pocket. Never understood people's fascination with relying on their smartphone, accept its there, but I see so many times a once in a life time moment and people pull out there phone. I guess 20 years from now that is good enough...

But why settle for a iphone4s and its puny sensor when you can have this :D

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2400773,00.asp

I have the 4s with the resolution set at the highest; some of the best pictures I've ever taken are with the phone. If I would only afford the 2,000.00+ Nikon I want. :(

Nikon 1 2000.00 NOT, about 599 or something. It is pricey, but trust me whipes the 4s. Matter of fact any modern P&S is superior. Not to say that the 4s can't take pictures that rival my D3s sometimes, but many a time its just good enough and I wish for something more. What is nice its always in my pocket. Never understood people's fascination with relying on their smartphone, accept its there, but I see so many times a once in a life time moment and people pull out there phone. I guess 20 years from now that is good enough...

Wow, what a completely overdone camera.

The best camera you can have?

The one you have with you.

Yes! This is EXACTLY why I sold my DSLR and adjoining few grand in lenses. It was such a hassle to carry around.

I ended up buying a Canon SX20 for semi professional quality, and a Panasonic ZS8 to keep in my purse.

Google Lifeproof, it should pop right up, or put www at the front and .com at the end :)

Its a great case so far, though you MUST check the seal every time you drop it (and before you go in water of course). Part of how it handles drops (shock) is that the case can seperate a little when absorbing the blow.

But there are some nice youtube videos demo'ing it in pools and snorkeling.

Puny sensor? This sensor isn't much bigger. Not sure how it will substantively provide much of a better photo. Most good P&S cameras will outdo this one as well. There is a pretty large misconception about "megapixels" being correlated with quality. A 10MP camera phone will get owned by a 4MP DSLR, every time.