Planning pre & post cruise?

Sugar&Buddy

If you don't mind doing the planning, and are willing to stay in a 2 or 3 star hotel (or a rental like Airbnb), yes I think it's much cheaper to do it on your own.

It seems like the extensions work best for people that don't enjoy the details of researching/booking and just want to enjoy the destination stress-free, both before and during the trip.

If you don't mind doing the planning, and are willing to stay in a 2 or 3 star hotel (or a rental like Airbnb), yes I think it's much cheaper to do it on your own....

Even if you stay in the same hotel the savings are substantial. In our case it was $73 per night vs $699 pp what Viking charges.

We did our own pre and post cruise planning for our Avalon Danube cruise last year. We flew into Munich, stayed two nights, then took the train to Nuremberg to meet our boat. Found a great little hotel in a quiet neighborhood near the Nymphenburg palace in Munich, a quick tram ride to Marienplatz. We met friends in Budapest at the end of our cruise; they found us a wonderful apartment hotel in the center of Pest within easy walking distance of everything we wanted to see. We had a beautiful fully equipped 1 bedroom apartment with a private courtyard that cost only 75 Euros a night! It does take time and effort to make your own travel and lodging arrangements but if you're comfortable doing your own planning, you can save a lot of money.

We book our own and do not stay in 2-3 star hotels. We opt for solid 4 stars when in Europe, and choose centrally located and highly rated properties.

Our savings has always been significant, more than 50% overall.

YMMV

When you book the extension through the cruise line, you are paying to have a liaison at the hotel and probably some included tours, meals and transportation. So yes, you can pay for a hotel for less than the extension price. But you're not receiving the same product.

However, if you're capable of doing a little bit of research and exploring a city on your own, it is almost always going to be less expensive to book your extension on your own.

When you book the extension through the cruise line, you are paying to have a liaison at the hotel and probably some included tours, meals and transportation. So yes, you can pay for a hotel for less than the extension price. But you're not receiving the same product.

However, if you're capable of doing a little bit of research and exploring a city on your own, it is almost always going to be less expensive to book your extension on your own.

In addition to affordability, we generally opt for private guides so the included tours are of no interest. And many hotels in Europe include breakfast in their rates so this is also not a factor in our decision making.

Research is part of the pleasure for me!

We decided to go with Viking's pre and post packages, for the France's Finest cruise. Yes, we were aware that we could save some money. I looked only at the same hotels that Viking uses to do the cost comparison. In Paris, the per night stay was less on our own but the package does include the orientation tour, the use of the host, and the transfer to the ship. When I factored those items into the cost, it came out to be the same.

For the post cruise stay in Nice, it was more economical to book on our own. However, if we purchased Viking transfers from Avignon, they would only take us to Marseille, not to Nice. No way, no how. We did want to go to Nice. I also asked on the France forum which was better and how to get there from Avignon. For my elderly mother and myself, the train, and handling our own luggage, is not an option. Other options were cost prohibitive. Therefore, to get what we want, we opted to go for the Viking package. And, this again, includes an orientation tour, and use of a host.

We will save money by booking our air on our own (on points), and arranging our own transfers to/from the airport.

I think you need to do what's best in your situation. Factor in your ability to deal with hiccups along the way, the mobility of your travelling companion(s), and the cost of the transfers. Yes, the cruise packages can be expensive but they can provide a safe and stress free holiday. Sometimes, we just want to be taken care of and there is nothing wrong with that. One just has to be willing to pay for it!:)

I think you need to do what's best in your situation. Factor in your ability to deal with hiccups along the way, the mobility of your travelling companion(s), and the cost of the transfers. Yes, the cruise packages can be expensive but they can provide a safe and stress free holiday. Sometimes, we just want to be taken care of and there is nothing wrong with that. One just has to be willing to pay for it!:)

Perfectly stated :)