solo on royal caribbean

eightofninekev

I am an RCI newbee but have sailed solo before on DCL. Will the table assignments for Tradional dining be all solos? I have a fear of showing up and being the only person at a table.

I don't think RCI does "solo" tables in the dining room. When I sail solo, I always put down that I want to be seated at bigger tables. I've never shown up to be the only diner at the table. I do remember one time that the whole table (including me) went to one of the specialty dining venues so that the whole table was empty. We did let the waiters know ahead of time though. I like set time dining because I like to get to know my table mates. I've also been included in port excursions by table mates. Just my opinion. :-)

Pamela

Tucson

• 3 years later...

I just completed a 9 night cruise with Royal Caribbean in June. This was a solo trip and although I was hesitant at first, I couldn't have anticipated all the fun I had. I met a lot of fun and nice people and even a few solo travelers. The Compass had a 9:00 (self led) meet place for solo travelers.

All in all, I am going to do this again. What you do doesn't depend on others traveling with you. If you decide to stay on the ship when docked at an island, you don't have to get off because everyone else in your party will.

I can't wait to go again!

If you are considering this, you won't be sorry if you do!

I've had two different experiences on RCCL as a solo. The best experience was on a Mediterranean cruise. I met another solo on CC roll call, and she managed to get us re-seated at a larger table with other CC members. My other experience, in a studio cabin, was awful. The room was cramped and the solo gathering was non-existent. I couldn't tell who were the afternoon drinkers and who was there for the gathering. Second day, same thing. So, sadly, I now travel mostly on NCL.

I've done RCL solo a couple of times. I, too, have had mixed experiences. Looking back it was probably my fault. I took a B2B on the Oasis during holiday time and it was kid central-- my bad.

On the other side, I took a November transatlantic from Southampton to Miami on the Adventure OTS and met lots of age appropriate solos and had a fabulous time.

While I agree that NCL makes more of an effort in the solo department, I'm happy as long as there are enough other solos cruising. One way or another, we'll find each other.

But there's no substitute for planning the right cruise.

Joe

Taking my first solo this weekend on RCL. It was a last minute decision, so I couldn't get assigned dining. I did make a reservation in the dining room for 3 nights using MyTime dining, and I'll see how it goes if I ask to be seated with others. (I'll bring my Kindle, just in case I end up behind a potted plant next to the kitchen at a table for two.) I will be going to the Windjammer on formal nights.

My last cruises were with my kids when they were in college and grad schools, and I seldom saw them except at dinner time. I figure those vacations were "solos with training wheels," getting me ready for trying solo by myself. Sometimes I met other friendly people whose families were off doing something else, and I'm hopeful the same thing happens on this trip.

I'll report back - wish me luck!

Edited by Truluv