Bringing Unlimited Wine Policy Officially Change Yesterday

LAFFNVEGAS

The New Wine Policy went into effect yesterday on Hollands America Ships.

ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BROUGHT ON BOARD

Each guest 21 years and older may bring one bottle of wine or

champagne (no larger than 750ml) onboard in their

carry-on luggage at the beginning of the voyage. Guests

are not allowed to bring beer, boxed wine, or other liquors

and spirits onboard. Holland America Line reserves the

right to remove all alcoholic beverages from guest luggage

that violates this policy. Any alcoholic beverage found

will be removed and returned on the last evening of the

voyage. Guests will not receive any monetary compensation

for alcoholic beverages that were removed from luggage.

Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage. A corkage fee of US$20.00 (subject

to change) applies to wine and champagne brought to the

restaurants or bars for consumption. In-Room Dining offers

reduced-price stateroom beverage packages for in-stateroom

consumption of alcoholic beverages (a 15% Service Charge

on all beverage items and packages with beverages will be

added).

Guests who violate any of our alcohol policies (e.g., attempt

to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check

points or any other time, provide alcohol to guests under age

21, over consume, or demonstrate irresponsible behavior),

may be denied boarding or may be disembarked at their

own expense.

It has already been updated in the online "What you need to know" booklet on page 6

http://www.hollandamerica.com/assets/cruise-vacation-onboard/KBYG.pdf

Ouch! That would have significantly reduced my enjoyment of our recent Alaskan cruise aboard the Zuiderdam. Many of my most memorable moments were sitting on our balcony enjoying the scenery with a glass of wine. I'm not sure just how much that enjoyment would have been dampened if the wine had been what I consider to be quite overpriced.

Well, as one who never brought on a case of wine or asked it to be delivered to the cabin - I am a bit disappointed to say the least.

I have no problem with one bottle at embarkation but nothing in the ports? I would happily pay the corkage fee to bring on a bottle from the wonderful European ports that I will be visiting.

If you are only allowed one bottle of wine the entire cruise (I think I am reading the new policy correctly?) then the corkage fee becomes moot.

Too bad they hadn't done what another cruise line does - they let you bring it on but you pay a corkage fee then and there and you can take the bottle to the MDR or drink it in your room. To me, that would have been fair ball.

Guess we know why the new package came out.

Let's hope HAL improves their wine selections. Or at least brings some on in interesting ports.

Well, as one who never brought on a case of wine or asked it to be delivered to the cabin - I am a bit disappointed to say the least.

I have no problem with one bottle at embarkation but nothing in the ports? I would happily pay the corkage fee to bring on a bottle from the wonderful European ports that I will be visiting.

If you are only allowed one bottle of wine the entire cruise (I think I am reading the new policy correctly?) then the corkage fee becomes moot.

Too bad they hadn't done what another cruise line does - they let you bring it on but you pay a corkage fee then and there and you can take the bottle to the MDR or drink it in your room. To me, that would have been fair ball.

Guess we know why the new package came out.

Let's hope HAL improves their wine selections. Or at least brings some on in interesting ports.

I think I've ever only brought one bottle on and that was on Celebrity. I do think they should have the option to be able to bring some on if people pay corkage. It will be interesting to see if the policy gets modified.

I've never brought a case of wine onboard either, but have been less than impressed with the quality and prices of HALs wine.

I would be very interested to hear from those who currently are on board HAL ships - especially those in Europe - if they have been having the wine they bring on in ports confiscated and if this new policy has been communicated to them.

I think I've ever only brought one bottle on and that was on Celebrity. I do think they should have the option to be able to bring some on if people pay corkage. It will be interesting to see if the policy gets modified.

I believe both NCL and Princess apply a corkage when you bring on more than one bottle. This rule that HAL has set may be fine on a 7 day Caribbean cruise - but we have a 30 day cruise booked in Europe in some areas where the wine is very good and definitely ones we cannot get here. I don't want to spend my time in port drinking - I want to go exploring - and have a bit of vino from the port when i get back on board;)

I wonder if HAL is smart enough to couple this new policy with a MAJOR upgrade in their wine list. As it is, there are few wines on HAL's wine list that I'm inclined to buy, regardless of their "bring aboard" policy. It is mostly over-priced grocery store wines. Having said that, I'm pretty sure they aren't clueless enough to ignore that side of the equation.

I think it was a long time coming. I hope Hal will drop their wine prices because they are overpriced compared to other lines. Thx for the info.

Don't hold your breath waiting!

We like to buy the occasional bottle (note: singular) of wine in ports, especially in Europe. Too bad!

I've never brought a case of wine onboard either, but have been less than impressed with the quality and prices of HALs wine.

I would be very interested to hear from those who currently are on board HAL ships - especially those in Europe - if they have been having the wine they bring on in ports confiscated and if this new policy has been communicated to them.

I would be very willing to say HAL is not going to confiscate wine from people already on the ship. If HAL permitted them to bring it aboard, they will not take it from them.

From here on out, the policy is now different.

I'm disappointed but not surprised. :( Makes sense now, the timing of the new promotion.

It's a good thing that we had already decided to bring NO wine on our next European cruise, because with the added Explorer4, that would be just too much. :eek: I guess if we want to sample local wines we'll have to just get a glass with lunch in port.

Thanks Lisa.

You guys all seem too happy with the new policy , can I ask for your rationale please ?

Did you read my post? I'm certainly not. I knew/felt a change was coming - but I didn't think it would be this BAD.

I think some got tired of those who said 'slap a luggage tag on the case of wine and it will be delivered to your cabin'. To me that was too much. To others, it was the policy so it was ok. another 'hot' discussion on the boards so to speak.

BUT Lisa is just sharing the info - I don't shoot the messenger

Edited by kazu

It actually doesn't directly impact us as we don't live anywhere near a port and the idea of wandering around town the night before a cruise collecting wine has never appealed to us. Understand some will be really put off by this though. Maybe I hadn't noticed before but it seems to me they've also raised the stakes on "smuggling" liquor on the ship too. Another thing we're not interested in but I know it happens. Of course I don't see that HAL will turn around and "compensate" cruisers now by lowering their on-board wine prices as I assume this was done with revenue and the bottom line as the goal.

You guys all seem too happy with the new policy , can I ask for your rationale please ?

I'm not happy with it. HAL's previous wine policy was one of the differences that went into the plus column when shopping for cruises. Going to a policy like most cruise lines takes that out of the plus column. Couple that with HAL's over-priced, weak wine list, and it moves to the minus column.

Everyone will have their own personal perception. This is just mine.

Well, they sure as heck need to improve the variety and cost of wine available onboard. That was one thing that HAL apart, and I've never seen the old policy abused or drunks onboard due to bringing on your own wine in unlimited quantities. And I believe that what HAL now allows is less than RCI - where they recently changed their policy to allow two bottles per person. At least that's what my niece and her DH took on their recent RCI cruise, and no problem.

Edited by startwin

Well, sorry to say.....they made restrictions on smoking, now on alcohol...being a smoker, I hope all non smoking guys know now how it feels....;)

I am saying this tongue in cheek though as I don't drink :D

Did you read my post? I'm certainly not. I knew/felt a change was coming - but I didn't think it would be this BAD.

I think some got tired of those who said 'slap a luggage tag on the case of wine and it will be delivered to your cabin'. To me that was too much. To others, it was the policy so it was ok. another 'hot' discussion on the boards so to speak.

BUT Lisa is just sharing the info - I don't shoot the messenger

Sorry just read it. Too bad I was really looking forward to bring 5 my fav bottles onboard our next carribean. And I don't live near the port. So that has nothing to do with it. Imo

No personal axe one way or the other as I don't drink but if I did I don't think I'd be happy about this:

"Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports of calls or

from onboard shops will be stored and returned on the last

evening of the voyage."

I guess I really don't understand the onboard shops, why buy onboard if you can't use it. It seems pretty draconian in the light of HAL's penchant for longer cruises. Do you get a second bottle on changeover day on collectors cruises?

Roy

Well I guess that frees up about 10lbs in my luggage. I was planning on bringing 3 of my favorite bottles for my upcoming 72 day cruise. I'm going to have to make that one bottle last unless I can find one they serve that is similar, or I just go without.

I so rarely drink wine and DH doesn't indulge at all. :rolleyes: I prefer a cocktail over wine and would never think to bring my own. I can't mix a mango daiquiri or chocolate martini in my cabin! :D

It doesn't affect us one way or the other. I have seen many get carried away. I remember two ladies traveling together who brought 8 cases of wine on for a 30 day cruise. A bit much IMO. :eek: