Post CRUISE LINE Single Supplement/Solo Bargains HERE

cruisinryan

Iglu TA are bril x they also put premium drinks package means I don't hv to pay for any type of drink or food x 600 xtra but I would hv spent a lot more in 17 days x

I am not convinced that the premium version of the Allegrissimo all-inclusive package is worth it. The non-premium Allegrissimo already includes a whole load of branded spirits, almost all the cocktails, beers and wines by the glass, soft drinks, bottles of water, speciality coffees, ice creams, smoothies and freshly squeezed juices. The premium is practically double the price and only gives you a few extras: premium brand spirits (e.g Bombay Sapphire instead of Gordon's gin), the (tiny) contents of your minibar, lager in bottles (instead of just draught) and some more wines by the glass. The difference in daily cost would easily cover these whenever you wanted them. I have only heard of people going for the premium when the non-premium Allegrissimo is not available, e.g. in the Caribbean.

Although I have had both non-premium and premium Allegrissimo on my two previous MSC cruises, I will probably give both a miss this time and instead splurge on some decent wine, e.g. Barolo or the Amarone della Valpolicella, which can't be had on either package. IMHO the best red available on the premium package is a rather ordinary chianti - like a cheap supermarket wine really. On the non-premium Allegrissimo, there is a choice of Merlot (very thin) or Montepulciano (less so, and almost as good as the chianti). The sparkling wine is very respectable but is only available at the bars, not in the MDRs. I don't drink white wine but I heard that the Trebbiano was like a reasonable Chardonnay. The latter two are included in the non-premium Allegrissimo.

More generally, MSC fares for their repositioning cruises are a bargain for solo travellers. In the UK they are priced at £25/night for an inside cabin, £35/night for outside and £45 for a balcony grade with zero single supplement. So the 17 nighter from Genoa to Santos is priced at £425 (inside guarantee), before any MSC Club discount, which in my case nets a fare of £391. I am hoping the upgrade fairy will cast her eye in my direction as the ship is likely to be well under capacity.

I booked my flights using a combination of cash (Easyjet to Milan) and Avios (Iberia and BA Sao Paulo - Madrid - Heathrow - Manchester) for a total of £98 + £167 of Tesco Clubcard vouchers (see how here) and some of that return journey is business class so that I have access to the fast lanes and food and drink of the lounges at Madrid and Heathrow.

So, there are bargains to be had for solo cruisers and Avios collectors aboard MSC!

Edited by Skipper Tim

Do you think they will give you the upgrade free or is there a payment for it?

Free of course! I have heard of cruise guests been offered paid upgrades in advance of the cruise but whenever I have booked an inside guarantee on Cunard, Royal Caribbean and on MSC, I have always got a free upgrade.

The most recent MSC ships have such a high proportion of balcony cabins that booking an inside guarantee on a repo cruise almost assures you of a good upgrade. The Orchestra is not that new and has a lower proportion of balcony cabins than the Fantasia class. but I would still expect a good chance of getting an outside (window) cabin.

The fact is that i would be happy with an inside. The real luxury is not having to share it whatever it happens to be.

I have moved our conversation over to the roll call:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=38514172&posted=1#post38514172

Hi Skipper Tim.

Just wanted to write that I like your signature and what appears to be your cruising style (solo, getting the best bang for the buck, and so on).

I might seriously consider the Sharm el-Sheikh-to-Venice sailing. Thanks.

Hi Skipper Tim.

Just wanted to write that I like your signature

That sounds like a classic forum chat-up line :).

I might seriously consider the Sharm el-Sheikh-to-Venice sailing. Thanks.

I hope you do. We have a very active roll call - up to 23 of us as of this morning and 11 of us are solo travellers. Having a Cruise Critic group aboard really changes the dynamics of a cruise as I discovered aboard the Fantasia (blog link in my signature but basically it was one long party!).

Tim.

Edited by Skipper Tim

Not sure if this is a pricing error or not, but double rate is $459pp, single is less than that at $334.40pp. This is inside. OV double rate is $579pp, single is $526.40pp. All need to add tax $95pp. Once you get to the highest level of OV stateroom and then to balcony and up, the single supplement is 200% as expected.

This is for Pacific Princess May 15, 2015 4-night Los Angeles to Vancouver repo (yes, almost two years from now!)

Not sure if this is a pricing error or not, but double rate is $459pp, single is less than that at $334.40pp. This is inside. OV double rate is $579pp, single is $526.40pp. All need to add tax $95pp. Once you get to the highest level of OV stateroom and then to balcony and up, the single supplement is 200% as expected.

This is for Pacific Princess May 15, 2015 4-night Los Angeles to Vancouver repo (yes, almost two years from now!)

It's likely not an error; two 4-day sailings in May 2014 also had very similar single pricing for the three lower level stateroom types some months ago. I thought I could wait until September to book the one that interested me at the low rate (I wanted to book other cruises first) but I was sadly mistaken when the price went up to the 200% single supplement a few weeks later.

If you're reading this and you're interested in booking the deal Friend100 posted, do it now; there's nothing to lose if the deposit is refundable. If the price goes away, it may not come back, especially one that low.

Edited by swazzie1
replace 'away' with 'up to the 200% single supplement'

Legend of the Seas t/a leaving BCN on 10/30 to FLL for 13 nights has some amazingly low rates for singles. Airfare JFK-BCN on AA thru ChoiceAir is $427. including the service charge. Hard to beat that on a one-way fare. The airline's rate is over $2,200. for the one-way and the r/t fare is around $1,000. which is okay if you can use the return flight back to BCN.

It's likely not an error; two 4-day sailings in May 2014 also had very similar single pricing for the three lower level stateroom types some months ago. I thought I could wait until September to book the one that interested me at the low rate (I wanted to book other cruises first) but I was sadly mistaken when the price went up to the 200% single supplement a few weeks later.

If you're reading this and you're interested in booking the deal Friend100 posted, do it now; there's nothing to lose if the deposit is refundable. If the price goes away, it may not come back, especially one that low.

Thanks for the additional information. From an online TA site, I can see the lowest single rate for Inside is $318+tax and for OV is $398+tax. Just a note that this is on the 30,277 GT Pacific Princess, which will just be finishing a 111-days Los Angeles round-trip World Cruise before this repo.

pa_main.jpg

Royal's Serenade OTS 15 night Transatlantic(Barcelona to New Orleans) $734 total with Tax and fees for an Inside Gty.

Royal is currently running the Wow sale, so I was also able to get $200 OBC and just pay half deposit($225)

Oops the dates are Nov 27-Dec 12 its over Thanksgiving

I haven't travelled solo yet, and am a bit apprehensive. I am looking for a Christmas river cruise, have tried booking with Tauck but they are not taking any more solo bookings

Royal's Serenade OTS 15 night Transatlantic(Barcelona to New Orleans) $734 total with Tax and fees for an Inside Gty.

Royal is currently running the Wow sale, so I was also able to get $200 OBC and just pay half deposit($225)

You know, that Price was advertised by an internet cruise agency but when you called it wasn't available. Now it's back so I called RCCL. I was told I was getting the last opening and I thought the agent was b.s.'ing me but when I went to the RCCL website the single gty was removed so I did in fact get the last available space. Thanks for mentioning this. Now we have to wonder where in hell they'll be putting us.

2012? Too late I'm afraid.

You know, that Price was advertised by an internet cruise agency but when you called it wasn't available. Now it's back so I called RCCL. I was told I was getting the last opening and I thought the agent was b.s.'ing me but when I went to the RCCL website the single gty was removed so I did in fact get the last available space. Thanks for mentioning this. Now we have to wonder where in hell they'll be putting us.

The $628. single inside gty price was back again today. Then I noticed for an additionl $130. I could get an outside accessible cabin (the last one available and yes, I qualify). So this is really turning out to be a WOW sale for me.

Edited by cruise pup

The $628. single inside gty price was back again today. Then I noticed for an additionl $130. I could get an outside accessible cabin (the last one available and yes, I qualify). So this is really turning out to be a WOW sale for me.

Nice deal. I would have looked at that if I didn't already have some cruises booked.

Sent from my iPad