Men's Spa Facilities on Cruise ships: Which ones do you think are the best?

Thanks for the MSC information, I am leaving on the MSC Musica in a few weeks.

Found a spa package that includes access for a week and multiple treatments for 390 Euros.

Did you use the facilities at all? Even though it is co-ed I can live through that for the chance to relax. What were the changing rooms/showers like? I am sharing a cabin with a roomate and usually use the spa area for showering/dressing. They are bigger and helps keep me motivated to work out if I am up there.

The gym on the ship is very nice. Treadmills facing the front of the ship with a good view of the ocean. Equipment and free weights available.

The steamroom and sauna are nice. Good steam with 2 showers. The sauna is rather small,but has a window looking out on the ocean. The locker room has sink, shaving cream,razors, and combs available. It is men only.

All in all a very nice area.

Thanks for the MSC information, I am leaving on the MSC Musica in a few weeks.

Found a spa package that includes access for a week and multiple treatments for 390 Euros.

Did you use the facilities at all? Even though it is co-ed I can live through that for the chance to relax. What were the changing rooms/showers like? I am sharing a cabin with a roomate and usually use the spa area for showering/dressing. They are bigger and helps keep me motivated to work out if I am up there.

I didn't use the facilities on MSC Splendida but had a look at the general area. They looked very nice but unfortunately didn't get to view the changing rooms and showers but would expect them to be good, or at least bigger than of those in the cabin. Not sure if they would be private ones or shared.

Every day there were specials advertised with treatments often being up to 50% off. I had a hair cut which was very well priced. It's difficult to say whether you could do better than 390 Euros once you're on board. I guess it depends how much you expect to use the facilities. I think the standard price for 1 hour in the sauna was 16 euros but most days you could buy them a fair bit cheaper. If you are planning to have several massages and use the saunas etc it might be a good price - all depends on how often you are on board versus being off the ship on shore excursions.

• 3 weeks later...
Is there steam or sauna in men's locker room on HAL NA?

What r showers like?

The saunas are not in locker rooms; there are free saunas on the Lido deck, one each for men and women. They are small, perhaps 4-5 people. You just walk in, hang your clothes on a hook, grab a towel to sit on and enjoy. There is also a shower stall in each area but no sink or toilet.

[PS - I have not been on this particular HAL ship but have been on her sister ships with the same layout.]

The saunas are not in locker rooms; there are free saunas on the Lido deck, one each for men and women. They are small, perhaps 4-5 people. You just walk in, hang your clothes on a hook, grab a towel to sit on and enjoy. There is also a shower stall in each area but no sink or toilet.

[PS - I have not been on this particular HAL ship but have been on her sister ships with the same layout.]

Chatted w Ship Services & they informed me that there IS a sauna in the men's locker room on the Nieuw Amsterdam. Makes it much easier that way since when I'm not on an excursion (only 3 sea days out of 19!) I'll spend my day @the spa & Retreat Cabanas.

I saw another guy asked about the stream/sauna layout for the Coral Princess but there was no reply. Anyone know if there are separate facilities? I heard the pay area is entirely coed which is a bummer. By the way, nothing has ever compared to the NCL Jewel! Worth every extra penny they charged!:)

Hi Joe,

There is a small dry sauna (free) in the men's changing area - along with cool down showers and a place to sit, which is nice. The sauna holds around 4 or 5 guys, but it still gets the job done and is pretty nice.

The Persian Gardens have male / female dry and steam, which requires a fee.

Hi Joe,

There is a small dry sauna (free) in the men's changing area - along with cool down showers and a place to sit, which is nice. The sauna holds around 4 or 5 guys, but it still gets the job done and is pretty nice.

The Persian Gardens have male / female dry and steam, which requires a fee.

Thanks, just what I'm looking for a nice place to relax :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was on Serenade Of The Seas last month & used the mens sauna/steam every day.

As usual on RCI ships there is no mention anywhere of the availability of free sauna/steam rooms, indeed one young guy I spoke to only found it on the second to last day, he wasn't amused to have missed out on the facilty over the preceeding 10 days. The facility itself is situated just past the Health Spa reception desk (first right & it's on the left), the locker area was clean & tidy on all my visits. Towels are available in the locker area & in the sauna/steam/shower area, however they were pretty sparse with never more than about 15-20 being put out at any one time -at "busy" times these ran out quickly & reception had to be asked for more on most days. The sauna & steam were in good condition & clean, the showers however could have done with being at colder temperature - they went from hot to lukewarm which isn't ideal for a cool down after/between saunas. Mostly the area was very quiet, with "busy" being about 5/6 guys late afternoon, on sea days I popped in during the day & was often the only person there, which was a pity as I like to have a chat whilst soaking up the heat :(

• 2 weeks later...
From previous tips aboard RCI's Navigator, Independence and Voyager, I enjoy a steam/sauna after the slog of the gym but as a first timer on NCL Jade, not sure what facilities they have? Can anyone advise?

NCL's Jade spa area is great, there is a huge sauna (20 people) with a large window looking out to the sea, a smaller steam room (8 people), there is a cold water plunge pool, plenty of showers (ice cold & warm), a whirl pool and plenty of loungers etc. The co-ed area has some warm beds and a therapy pool.

You pay an extra fee to use the area, but well worth the money.

NCL's Jade spa area is great, there is a huge sauna (20 people) with a large window looking out to the sea, a smaller steam room (8 people), there is a cold water plunge pool, plenty of showers (ice cold & warm), a whirl pool and plenty of loungers etc. The co-ed area has some warm beds and a therapy pool.

You pay an extra fee to use the area, but well worth the money.

How much is the fee? :confused:

The fees vary based on the length of the cruise. In general, you can expect to pay $20 per day per person, but it might be a bit less than that and also you will save some if you do a couples deal. I've been on the NCL Jewel and it has a similar setup to the Jade. Worth every penny.

I've noticed an increasing number of "extra fee to access areas" on all the ships. It's definitely a trend on all the lines. There are entire areas that are off limits unless fees are paid or you are cruising in suites, etc. It's a return to class-based cruising of yesteryear, unfortunately. NCL seems to be leading the pack in this regard from what I've seen so far. But, if the steam/sauna/relaxation area was free, it would be overrun with people and it would lose it's appeal to many very quickly in my opinion.

I've noticed an increasing number of "extra fee to access areas" on all the ships. It's definitely a trend on all the lines. There are entire areas that are off limits unless fees are paid or you are cruising in suites, etc. It's a return to class-based cruising of yesteryear, unfortunately. NCL seems to be leading the pack in this regard from what I've seen so far. But, if the steam/sauna/relaxation area was free, it would be overrun with people and it would lose it's appeal to many very quickly in my opinion.

We sailed on NCL Jewel in 2006 and the spa area was free then! It was not over run, just the same as on RCCL ships, they are not over run either.

I'd prefer them to be free but I find that each cruise line we have sailed with, there are bits of each that we prefer, so there is some give and take with each cruise we take.

• 3 weeks later...