Steam room relaxation

On any cruise I take, after working-out, I enjoy taking a sauna &, particularly, using the steam room. Since I don't have such facilities at my gym back home this is something I especially look forward to.

Some time away from the rest of the family/friends to jump in & out of the heat, cooling-off in the adjacent showers, then getting back in. Usually find some great conversation & company. I can spend hours just relaxing, detoxing....whatever. Great way to release. Any other guys enjoy the steam-time as well?

;)

Usually I am going though my workout thinking, "what's next." I enjoy my workout, but I find that we are always busy. The sauna does sound like a great idea. I just may try that on the next cruise. Maybe while my wife is away at bingo.:)

If the sauna/steam on the Liberty are anything like that on the Navigator (which I see you sailed-on), they should be real nice and very comfortable. I luved the huge steam/sauna on the Navigator. Definitely budget some time for that.

A lot of guys mention showering & getting ready down in the locker room, as opposed to the cabin, in order to save time & avoid conflict with the spouse getting ready at the same time. Seems like a pretty smart thing to do, to me.

I notice that you may have been on Vaoyager of the Seas, could you please give me some info on the spa area.

Do they have a dry sauna and steam room and do they charge for this or is it in the cost of the cruise.

Like you I like the steam area and sauna I really like the ones on Millennium also Radiance and Brilliance of the seas.

many thanks.

Hi Leesre,

Well, as you know, the Radiance & Brilliance have virtually identical spa areas. I also enjoyed the Millenium's sauna (that window overlooking the ocean is amazing), but I was disappointed that they didn't have a steam room in the men's locker area.

You should be very happy to hear that the Voyager of the Seas has a rather large steam room (seats at least 10) and large sauna (also 10) in the men's locker room and, as of recently, it is FREE OF CHARGE. All you'd need to do is request a locker key from the spa desk and you ready to start relaxing.

I sailed on the Jewel and will sail the Serenade next year (they're similar to the Radiance/Brilliance). I was a little disappointed with the size of the steam rooms on Radiance-class of ships, but it "got the job done", so to speak.

Cheers!

;)

If the sauna/steam on the Liberty are anything like that on the Navigator (which I see you sailed-on), they should be real nice and very comfortable. I luved the huge steam/sauna on the Navigator. Definitely budget some time for that.

A lot of guys mention showering & getting ready down in the locker room, as opposed to the cabin, in order to save time & avoid conflict with the spouse getting ready at the same time. Seems like a pretty smart thing to do, to me.

Very good point. In fact I would purposely extend my workout knowing that I needed to give my wife extra time to get ready.

Thanks

• 2 months later...

kori - sorry you missed the ladies steam and sauna rooms. On the RC ship they are in the gym ladies dressing rooms (just like the mens). They are not coed.

On the Jewel of the Sea, Serenede of the Sea and one other ship they have a coed room you pay a special price each visit or by the week. This room has curved ceramic lounges (hot). You lay on them, relax, sleep, look out the window at the sea. Steam room, Dry Sauna, Showers with multi-shower heads. Been there done, done that. These rooms are heven. They to have ice coming out of the wall into a large clam to cool the body off when you need too cool off.

Hope this information is helpful. Have a great time on your next cuise.

It was on the Jewel of the Sea and the Serenede of The Seas. Don't remember want the call the room. Just ask them at the desk when you walk in spa where they book massages. Take the tour to see the room first. Ask to see to coed sauna, steam room etc.

Never been on Liberty of the Sea or Freedom of the Sea. Sure they have the same. If you are good at doing a search you can find pictures and articles over on cruise critic royal carribean message board. If not just type in the question asking for some one to post pictures of the coed mens/womens steam/sauna room on Jewel of the Sea I am sure someone will help you out.

HELP

Can anyone tell me what the Thermal Suites are on NCL's Jewel. I have noticed that they are not co-ed but I wonder what they are. I called NCL and all they could tell me was that they charge $15 per day for admission. Holland is converting to a mixed thermal suite idea so at least NCL is keeping the boys and girls apart. Who wants to go into a steam or sauna with a suit on....eeeek!

Aldo:D

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...

The Steam Room is my favorite place on the ship to relax and get some release from the stress of the day. I have booked the Spa cabins on the Dream and Magic and cannot wait. There is no better pleasure than being in the sauna and steam room and getting away from it all. Great company as well! ;)

I completely agree with your post. I started this thread, as it seemed like there were other men who appreciated quiet time in the spa facilities and wanted to compare notes.

I started a subsequent thread related to Men's Steam Sauna facilites on various ships, in order to compare and share specific/detailed information on these spaces, as it is often very difficult to get detailed information from the cruise lines themselves. To date, we have quite a few ships described.

Based on your profile name, I'm guessing you're aware that August and September are Miami and Fort Lauderdale "SPA MONTH", respectively. Last year, I visited the Lapis Spa at the Fontainebleau Miami Beach and was very impressed by how modern, elegant and extensive the men's area is. If you have the opportunity, I highly recommend it (one of the nicest in Miami, but a little quiet if you enjoy good conversation while spa-ing ;o).

I have a short Liberty of the Seas cruise booked for October and am really looking forward to spending much of my time decompressing in the spa area.

Let me know if you'd like to discuss further.

All the best,

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

;)

I have been on a number of cruise ships and I find that having used the gym or a pool its fantastic to go and relax in the sauna and steam if one is available, like many other guys we have put the world to rights in them.

I am on the Star Princess in February, first time we have used this cruise ship and was wondering if anyone knows of the facilities on board? Is the sauna/steam like on most cruise ship I have been on single sex ones,in that they have separate one for men and women and not mixed ones.

HELP

Can anyone tell me what the Thermal Suites are on NCL's Jewel. I have noticed that they are not co-ed but I wonder what they are. I called NCL and all they could tell me was that they charge $15 per day for admission. Holland is converting to a mixed thermal suite idea so at least NCL is keeping the boys and girls apart. Who wants to go into a steam or sauna with a suit on....eeeek!

Aldo:D

I can tell you that the NCL Pearl, which is a Jewel class ship like the Jewel, charges 99.00 for the week to use the Thermal suite. They do limit the number of passes as well.

The Co-Ed area has a large jacuzzi, therapy pool with jet stations, and the rain forest showers. There is also heated tile loungers. You need to wear your swim suit in this area and you are give robes. There are loungers that face the bow of the ship to relax in as well. Water, coffee, and teas are provided on a table and it is a quite and peaceful place for the most part.

The Men's thermal suite has a large sauna with ocean views of the bow and side of the ship, some more relaxation (not heated) loungers, 2 single person jacuzzis, a cold plunge pool, and a steam room. The sauna is much larger than the steam room. The steam room could fit 4 to 6 people. Some wore their swimsuits and others did not.

There is also 2 open showers and over by the toilets and sinks three showers with glass doors (actually 2 with doors and one larger one that is accessible).

I hope that this helps.

Edited by jimswims

On sea days I loved loosening up in the whirlpool then using the elyptical trainer then cooling down with some tai chi (on my own - not a class) in the empty aerobics room then finishing off with a detoxifying steam bath followed by a spa shower then return to my cabin to dress for dinner. It was a lovely transition from daytime frolic to evening sophistication.

I had a little mesh "bucket" I used to bring my personal bath products with me, even my razor and toothbrush.

• 3 weeks later...

Leaving on the Diamond Princess on Sept. 18 for Beijing and on November 30th on Vision of the Seas from Lisbon to Sao Paulo. I am familiar with Princess spa facilities and assume the Diamond is the same as the others I used. Any information on Vision of the Seas Spa and workout facilities?

I toured the Rhapsody of the Seas when she first debuted (way back in the late 90's ;o) and the set-up of the men's locker room was similar to her sister ships: Vision of the Seas and Grandeur of the Seas (Enchantment of the Seas has since had he locker room & sauna/steam facilities revised or removed)...

As I remember (and someone who has sailed Vision or Rhapsody more recently can, please, confirm), the men's locker room is situated near the ship's spa & fitness areas and does provide non-coed steam & sauna rooms and showers. Additionally, RCCL offers very comfortable fitness areas aboard all of their vessels (even the older ships) and workout equipment (machines & free-weights) are kept in good condition.

Now that the Grandeur (sister-ship to the Vision) is based out of Fort Lauderdale, I hope to sail her soon and partake of these nice facilities. I've read that RCI has done a real nice job of maintaining their older vessels and, since the ship carries fewer passengers as compared to RCI's larger ships, the overall service experiences is very enjoyable (even without all the "bells & whistles" of the larger ships). You should find the same on the Vision.

P.S.- I have another thread under the "Fitness, Spa and Sports Cruises" section of the boards where several folks have shared information on the spa facilities of multiple ships & lines. Please contribute if you have any info to share; it'd be much appreciated.

Bon voyage,

Gigglewolf O' The Seas

:p

• 8 months later...

Hello. my first experiences with Saunas and Steam Rooms were aboard cruise ships. I love them, but I do wonder about proper protocol. For example, I would visit the sauna and steam room early in the morning after working out and they were empty. So I would enjoy the facilities in the nude sitting on a towel. This felt right. However, one morning another man opened the door while I was enjoying the sauna in my birthday suit, took one look at me and bolted. Should I have been wearing a swimsuit? What is correct in these situations? I am definitley not an exhibitionist, but I assumed that no clothes was okay in the sauna or steam room.

• 2 months later...