Review- Carnival Legend Glacier Bay Aug. 15

Xmansmom

I'm really enjoying your report and the great pictures!

We were also on the Aug 15 Legend and we spent Monday before the cruise and Tuesday after the cruise in Seattle. We got the City Pass, too. We went up into the Space Needle twice on Monday, the MoPop that day and then the Aquarium and Science Museum after we returned. I am sad that we didn't do the Harbor Tour, but we were so exhausted on Monday from our east coast flight and Tuesday after our cruise so we never made it. Loved your pictures of the harbor and the seals.

Sounds like Safeco had a lot of fun things for families. That is fantastic that your son got Mike Trout's autograph and even better that it seems like he got to have such a positive encounter with a generous, talented player.

My husband saw an ocean sunfish from our balcony on the sea day, too. We missed the porpoise pod- approximately what time was that? We were kind of disappointed at the lack of wildlife announcements from the naturalist on board. We would see some things and think "Hey, where's Steve?"

Your tour to the glacier sounds incredible. We did (an organized) scenic tour of the Yukon in Skagway as well- what an amazing landscape!

Edited by BeachClubDee

I'm really enjoying your report and the great pictures!

We were also on the Aug 15 Legend and we spent Monday before the cruise and Tuesday after the cruise in Seattle. We got the City Pass, too. We went up into the Space Needle twice on Monday, the MoPop that day and then the Aquarium and Science Museum after we returned. I am sad that we didn't do the Harbor Tour, but we were so exhausted on Monday from our east coast flight and Tuesday after our cruise so we never made it. Loved your pictures of the harbor and the seals.

Sounds like Safeco had a lot of fun things for families. That is fantastic that your son got Mike Trout's autograph and even better that it seems like he got to have such a positive encounter with a generous, talented player.

My husband saw an ocean sunfish from our balcony on the sea day, too. We missed the porpoise pod- approximately what time was that? We were kind of disappointed at the lack of wildlife announcements from the naturalist on board. We would see some things and think "Hey, where's Steve?"

Your tour to the glacier sounds incredible. We did (an organized) scenic tour of the Yukon in Skagway as well- what an amazing landscape!

Dolphins were around 7:30 or 8 in the morning. I thought the same thing about the naturalist. We saw sorays from whales throughout that seaday and only heard it announced a couple times. I did think the park ranger in Glacier bay did an awesome job though.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Day 9 (sixth day on the ship)- Ketchikan

We had a way to short stop here in Ketchikan. The boys wanted to go fishing and I was not going to get on another fishing boat. I swear it seems the when ever we go on vacation and go fishing the weather is not good and I get sick. So I made a decision to do my own thing. Crazy as I am I decided to go SNORKELING in Alaska. Best decision ever. It was so awesome.

So my underwater camera had crapped out on my. I thought of buying a Go Pro but couldn't spend that much money on a camera that I only use once a year at max. So I did some research and bought an off brand similar to a Go Pro for just $50. I wondered all the same questions as must of you are wondering so I will answer some:

Is it cold? Not with the gear. They provided a full wetsuit including the hood, boots, and gloves. Which did make it hard to hit the buttons on the camera. But I was plenty warm . If you have never worn a wet suit just be warned, putting it on should be classified as strenuous activity. LOL

Is there anything to see? ABSOLUTELY. It was just beautiful. We even got a surprised.

I highly recommend this to anyone who likes to snorkel. I used Snorkel ALASKA . COM

They picked us up at the Ketchikan Visitors Bureau “Liquid Sunshine” / Rain Gauge located on Berth 2. We went to the building where the business is located and were fitted with wetsuits. Then it was a short ride to the beach. This is not your sandy beaches like we find in the tropics. This is a very rocky area of the shore. You climb down the rocks (and yes this is a little bit hard). Then we were able to enter the water. Before we even got in I saw a sea star on the rocks. This area is full of sea stars, sea urchins, sponges, and jellies. Most of the jellies are moon jellies but there are a few that could hurt you that were red. Luckily they couldn't sting through the suit.

Where we snorkeled we stayed in the shallows for the most part. However we were right by the shipping channel. They offered up a weight belt for anyone who wanted to free dive. I took one cause the suit is so buoyant. Even with the weight belt when I would dive I would pop up as soon as I quit swimming down. Through out the snorkeling the guides would bring us up and show us things that they had dived down and brought up. During one of the show and tells two humpback whales surfaced in the deep area about 50 yards out from us. I was unable to get pictures but it was incredible. Even the guides were excited. Here are a few of my underwater/in the water pictures.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Edited by Xmansmom

Day 9 (sixth day on the ship)- Ketchikan- Continued

After we got done we, they had hot water in a cooler that we could dump in our suits. It felt so good. We then went back to the business where we were able to peel off our suits and take a hot shower outside. Afterwards they had one of the big charter buses take us back and the driver gave us some background on the area. We were also able to see our whales from the road. I took some pictures with my phone since the boys had my good camera.

20901770_10156022787025016_2686656183114031231_o.jpg?oh=d239a7ef135b786e9ba6e2f318c0ea7a&oe=5A50B83D

Since I had a little time before we needed to back to the ship I decided take a walk downtown. In your passport there is a totem pole on one of the pages (I think page 16). This is located in Ketchikan. I got a picture of it. I really went though to find the harbor seals that I heard were over by the salmon swimming upstream. I was not disappointed.

20883089_10156023202855016_169837051327010209_n.jpg?oh=2ec4388333893e624750eee61d6080ef&oe=5A5D231A

20954099_10156023213330016_3029077160766447149_n.jpg?oh=f9108ef0329b20bc27892712e185bfc2&oe=5A5ABA24

I know I got out of order. Sorry

Day 8 (fifth day on the ship)- Glacier Bay

We got up on the morning of Glacier Bay, we turned on the TV so we could easily listen to park rangers. Besides going up to the Lido to get some souvenirs and some breakfast and lunch we didn't leave our balcony. Again our port side balcony was awesome. We saw everything!!! Eagles, Bears, Goats, seals, otters and sea lions. Not to mention all the glaciers including sitting at one of the pacific glaciers (a glacier that goes all the way to the ocean) for about 45 mins while it calfed. Simply incredible.

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

enhance

Loving this review! We are fresh off the 14-night Alaska sailing on the Miracle, and I am ready to book again for next year... it was a bucket list trip for me too, and I'm already dying to go back! Thanks for sharing; looking forward to reading more soon.

Really enjoying your trip report and awesome pictures!

I was so happy to see your review of the snorkeling trip.

My family considered doing the same thing as yours- My husband and older son were going to go fishing and I was going to go snorkeling with my younger son. We love snorkeling and doing it in Alaska would have been amazing. We were thrilled with our excursion in Ketchikan (Bear Adventure), but I was seriously tempted by the snorkeling.

That is really cool that a whale surfaced so close to you. You never know what is sharing the water near you.

Your pictures from Glacier Bay were great. I loved watching, and hearing, all the calving. It was neat seeing the wildlife there. Very cute otter!