How to stop unwanted Viking mail?

Nippy Sweetie

Anyone have any idea how to stop Viking inundating us with advertising material at both our current and previous addresses simultaneously? We just want it to stop. We`re not going with them again so absolutely no point in their keeping sending us letters, catalogues and cards. The new owners of our old house are complaining about it!

I suppose that, along with the constant barrage of TV advertising, current and booked passengers are paying for it all. Make it stop please!!

Anyone have any idea how to stop Viking inundating us with advertising material at both our current and previous addresses simultaneously? We just want it to stop. We`re not going with them again so absolutely no point in their keeping sending us letters, catalogues and cards. The new owners of our old house are complaining about it!

I suppose that, along with the constant barrage of TV advertising, current and booked passengers are paying for it all. Make it stop please!!

put a line through your name, write boldly return to sender and stick in any mailbox. after about 5 returns they get the idea...:D

I reckon trying to phone would just be a huge waste of time & phone bill. Think I`ll just redirect all the letters back marked "unwanted mail". If that fails I`ll try the "deceased" idea! Mind you that doesnt always work- we`re constantly getting telephone sales calls for my parents who died years ago. Some telephone lists never die it seems. This is despite the phone number being on the telephone preference service register. Sorry thats getting off the point!

put a line through your name, write boldly return to sender and stick in any mailbox. after about 5 returns they get the idea...:D

Depending on how it's been mailed, the post office may just dump it in the garbage rather than returning it to them.

I found this email address in an Internet post about stopping unwanted email (and also in another thread here). You might try emailing them and including the information from the mailing label if you have it. Hopefully they will be responsive.

TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com

Edited by MisterBill99

Thanks. Maybe a straightforward email might do it. I reckon phoning would just lead to being passed from one dept to another and all at my expense! Most likely the advertising dept is not actually contactable via the phone lines made available to the general public or is just outsourced anyway.

I've found that sending it back marked deceased works well.

Sent from my SGP312 using Forums mobile app

LOL, this doesn't really work. I tried it once with another company and my mail carrier stopped delivering ALL mail because he thought I was deceased!

I would just call them to be removed, if it were me.

Felicia

I reckon trying to phone would just be a huge waste of time & phone bill. Think I`ll just redirect all the letters back marked "unwanted mail". If that fails I`ll try the "deceased" idea! Mind you that doesnt always work- we`re constantly getting telephone sales calls for my parents who died years ago. Some telephone lists never die it seems. This is despite the phone number being on the telephone preference service register. Sorry thats getting off the point!

Why not email them?

Then you also have it in writing.

I would just call them to be removed, if it were me.

Felicia

The problem with doing that is that the odds are you're not going to get the correct person on the phone when you call and it's unlikely that they will be able to transfer you to the person who can actually make the change. If you email, then it can be forwarded to that person and they will have all of the information needed to take care of it.

Thanks. Maybe a straightforward email might do it. I reckon phoning would just lead to being passed from one dept to another and all at my expense! Most likely the advertising dept is not actually contactable via the phone lines made available to the general public or is just outsourced anyway.

Correct. However, most of us have free long distance these days, what with cell phones and cable company provided phone service. I guess not you, since you say it's a concern. Still, email *should* be less frustrating.

Edited by MisterBill99

The problem with doing that is that the odds are you're not going to get the correct person on the phone when you call and it's unlikely that they will be able to transfer you to the person who can actually make the change. If you email, then it can be forwarded to that person and they will have all of the information needed to take care of it.

That's really not correct. I've called companies in the past to be removed and you give the information to the person answering the phone.

But the OP indicated the cost to call, so again my advice would be to email.

This time of year, I'm getting inundated with catalogs from a lot of companies. I just stand over the trash can when I get home.

Now, I never do this with Viking's brochures!

Standard mail marked 'return to sender' does not get returned to the sender; it is thrown out at the post office. So, the only one getting any sort of message is your postman.

IMHO, the best way to handle unwanted circulars and advertising is just to throw them out--or even better, recycle it. All you are doing with this thread is building up your anger and annoyance over something that just isn't worth the effort. We all get tons standard mail we would rather not receive.

If this extremely minor annoyance is causing you such distress, stop complaining here about all the reasons you can't pick up the phone to call and start doing something about it.

Standard mail marked 'return to sender' does not get returned to the sender; it is thrown out at the post office. So, the only one getting any sort of message is your postman.

IMHO, the best way to handle unwanted circulars and advertising is just to throw them out--or even better, recycle it. All you are doing with this thread is building up your anger and annoyance over something that just isn't worth the effort. We all get tons standard mail we would rather not receive.

If this extremely minor annoyance is causing you such distress, stop complaining here about all the reasons you can't pick up the phone to call and start doing something about it.

No distress at all. After returning 3 or 4 items all mail STOPPED?

This has also worked with other annoying companies. :D

I was also getting tired of their mailings, so I sent an e-mail to TellUs@vikingrivercruises.com

and said I would never sail on Viking and their mailings were annoying me. I got a very nice polite e-mail from them apologizing and saying the mailings would stop in a couple of weeks.

Yes, I had suggested this was the best approach. Glad to hear that it works.

No distress at all. After returning 3 or 4 items all mail STOPPED?

This has also worked with other annoying companies. :D

That's surprising, since, as someone else confirmed, they're not supposed to return that stuff. Perhaps the post office does something like send electronic notification to the companies when their catalogs are being refused, sort of like "address correction requested". We need someone who works for the USPS to enlighten us.

Edited by MisterBill99