Buying antibiotics in Mexico

Ted W

Ive bought them. I was with my sister getting a major prescription filled during the hurricane when we couldnt get back into Galveston. They had antibiotics 1/3 the price of the touristy drug selling places.

There is a nice one across from the Carnival pier, can't miss the DRUGS sign. I bought 6 knock off purses in there too, lol. But I also told them my stomach is sensitive to penicillin and they sold me another one last time. I dont have health insurance, so I self medicate.

I have experience with them not by choice. Worked just like American antibiotics to clear up my ear infection.

Just an FYI- most American doctors will right you a prescription for a low level antibiotic if you tell them you are traveling out of the country and want to have it just in case you can't get to a doctor right away. I've done it several times when planning travel to Central America where I could be several hours from a doctor. No need to tell them that you your out of country travel is a cruise, and that you plan to use them in the US. Of course, there could always be complications by "self-diagnosing." As my father always told me, "you have health insurance- use it."

Supposedly, Mexico passed a law that you now need a prescription, but I'm sure the pharamicist will help you with whatever you need to do.

I've bought antibiotics all over the world including Mexico and use them when I know it's appropriate, like a sinus infections that I don't need a doctor to diagnose for me.

They sell Z packs in Mexico. Those are the best.

Ive bought them. I was with my sister getting a major prescription filled during the hurricane when we couldnt get back into Galveston. They had antibiotics 1/3 the price of the touristy drug selling places.

There is a nice one across from the Carnival pier, can't miss the DRUGS sign. I bought 6 knock off purses in there too, lol. But I also told them my stomach is sensitive to penicillin and they sold me another one last time. I dont have health insurance, so I self medicate.

You don't have medical insurance but you can afford the many cruises you take?? Priorites..........

You don't have medical insurance but you can afford the many cruises you take?? Priorites..........

I choose to self insure. Until Obama Care kicks in it's still my choice not someone else's. If I need care I pay for it.

If I needed some kind of expensive surgery, Id go to some fancy doctor in another country with dynomite creditials who apprecites cash. The doctors in the U.S. charge too much and you can get care elsewhere.

Edited by firefly333

I choose to self insure. Until Obama Care kicks in it's still my choice not someone else's. If I need care I pay for it.

If I needed some kind of expensive surgery, Id go to some fancy doctor in another country with dynomite creditials who apprecites cash. The doctors in the U.S. charge too much and you can get care elsewhere.

Fire you are right on. My mother fell down the stairs at my condo in Cabo, she had 8 stitches in her shin, numerous cuts and bruises dressed and treated, a CAT scan, x-rays and was seen by a Neurologist and Internist, given her complete record plus all test results, tetanus shot, antibiotics and pain pills, final bill.....$758.00 and instead of 4 hours in the ER, we were in and out and home again within 2 hours of the accident. Do you have any idea what that would have cost here? Thousands! And the quality of care was first rate. It's where I'm planning on having my medical work done, and I am so happy I have one foot in another country.

WOW Really ??????????

What happens if you get into a car accident or have an unexpected emergency?

When I was 21, I passed out and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance and have a Cat-scan (I think). I spent 12 hours in the hospital- total bill $10,000+. As I was in college, I was still on my parent's insurance and out of pocket costs were less than $1000.

Even perfectly healthy people can have emergencies. Unless you are a millionaire and can really afford $100,000+ hospital bills, I would never go without health insurance.

What happens if you get into a car accident or have an unexpected emergency?

When I was 21, I passed out and had to be taken to the hospital in an ambulance and have a Cat-scan (I think). I spent 12 hours in the hospital- total bill $10,000+. As I was in college, I was still on my parent's insurance and out of pocket costs were less than $1000.

Even perfectly healthy people can have emergencies. Unless you are a millionaire and can really afford $100,000+ hospital bills, I would never go without health insurance.

That's what medicaid is for. I was 18 when my son was born, and no insurance of course. There were complications and he spent 3 weeks in a childrens hospital. $50,000. A lot of money 25 years ago. Heck, a lot of money now! State picked it up. Socialized health care has been around for decades, folks. But then, that's not what this thread is about, is it?

On my last trip to Ensenada I was hassled by the Mexican screeners before you enter the cruise terminal. They confiscated my prescription bottle of pills I brought from home to check prices. Do you argue with the man with the gun or just let him take your meds???

Won't make that mistake again. Belize Cancun and Roatan are much better places to get scripts filled.

I support you a 110% on that, as a small business owner we paid premiums that were beyond stupid, in addition they never paid claims for anything. When the bill collectors started calling we paid them to save our credit rating and gave the finger to US healthcare. We are now self funded, self insured, funny thing - its always interesting to see how much gets dropped of a bill when you have a handfull of "Franklins" and yes we have seen 50k procedures dropped to 18K is you pay cash same day.

We were going to get some in Belize while we were there in December (we were going to get a bunch of Z-Pack, when my husband gets a cold it goes directly to his chest and he requires Z-Pack to clear it up) however, we found that with our insurance we pay less here at home for a prescription of Z-Pack than we would've there (in Belize the cost was like $8 per pack and a prescription wasn't required). Now in a few months when our insurance coverage changes, we might decide to start buying some of our meds overseas.

I agree Stu!!! Not sure what is in the things you buy when the controls aren't as tight as they are here.

A lot of our costs are research, however this expensive health care got that way because we are not allowed to turn down those without health insurance that are in a true emergency. So illegals, drug seekers, anyone and everyone has health care here.

So if you don't have health insurance (which I find extremely irresponsible unless you have the cash to pay for it) then when you get into that accident and need treatment, if you don't pay, the hospital eats the costs(no Medicaid isn't automatically going to pay for it, only if you are disabled by it and somehow qualify for it, and frankly I'm tired of paying others costs through my high taxes)

The health care providers then have no choice but to pass on the expense to those that are financially responsible.

Sad system huh? I think those without insurance should have to pay cash up front. No pay, no service.IMO it's only fair.

Carole

Probably a touchy subject. Tired of seeing the Dr everytime I have strep throate or a earache. Antibiotics arelegal topurchase in Mexico, does anyone have any experience with them?

I have been purchasing Mexican Medications for many years. I have health and Rx insurance but it is still much, much cheaper. I have found them to work just like their American counterparts. My DH has severe GERD and cannot go a day without his Protonix...$60 copay per month and annual doctor appointment to get Rx renewed for the year. I can buy 13 months worth for $120 in Mexico. Do I want to? No. I would much prefer to buy American but with that big of a difference I cannot afford to buy it here, sadly. Same with Amoxil and Azithromycin - no difference in American bought meds, both work perfectly. I have never had trouble buying it or getting it in over the border or through customs. I never hide it, always upfront. Never an issue. It is very sad to me that our Health care system has gotten to the point that even people with what is supposed to be 'good' insurance coverage cannot justify the extremely higher cost of drugs and healthcare. When my son was in the Netherlands attending the University on a Study Abroad program, he had to have a tooth filled and also got sick and had to go to the doctor and get prescription filled. Since he was a registered student he got the same health care as everyone else (I assumed Socialized medicine at the time) and the only out of pocket cost to him was the equivilent to $5 for the Rx. Sad to think he cannot get that same good care here at home without spending a lot of money. My 2 cents worth.

Yes, we buy a couple bottles every time we go to Mexico (including our last trip cruise in July). We usually buy a couple bottles of Amoxicillin or Penicillin. I DO have insurance, but I don't want to pay my $50 copay+ the $ for the RX for another simple sinus infection.

Btw- When DH and I were much younger (and poorer) we would go right across the border to Tijuana to get my birth control pills. They were some crazy cheap price, like $2 a month! I did not become "Martini MOM" until many years later when we planned on it. Pretty good anecdotal evidence that the drugs worked.