Cruising With A Service Dog....everything You Ever Wanted To Know!

I have to share something with you guys......So, I'm boarding the Sapphire Princess with my lovely SIL Debi and we're wisked off to another room where the Platinum and Elite passengers wait. Soon a woman comes over and wants to pet Horton, I say "yes" of course and she proceeds to point to an elderly gentleman and a ****zu [dog] sitting on the next ailes from us. She invites me over to meet her husband and "his" seizure/medical alert dog, who is wearing a vest reading "Service Dog" on it.

Horton is calm and by my side and the ****zu starts barking/yapping/whining and growling at Horton. The woman says, "I'm so sorry, she was attacked by a bigger dog once and is very skiddish!" I walked away with Horton.

Later on during the cruise we encountered the woman holding the dog on several occasions and when we got to talking she told me that she had had a nervous breakdown and suffered with agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Now, between you and me, who was that dog really on the cruise with and for? And, who wrote the medical letter stating that it was an "alert" dog for her husband who didn't seem to have any control over the dog at all and, was seen with the woman more than with him?? Very strange!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Horton is calm and by my side and the ****zu starts barking/yapping/whining and growling at Horton. The woman says, "I'm so sorry, she was attacked by a bigger dog once and is very skiddish!" I walked

Yet again you stand proud and its amazing how well you handle those situations. I would have said something yet your so proper and standing proud with Horton. Whats a funny spin from your story is the word zapper edited part of the dog breed name.....

On a funny side my daughter stopped by today with her shepherd and left the dog and took off shopping. So I am now ready to release to the world my training secrets with Blitz. Notice the connection between Blitz and Dia and teenagers who are glued to the TV...... lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GN_grlmqSas

Trust Disney Dad to give me my first laugh of the day! Ears indeed. Love all the pictures with Blitz and assorted german shepherds. They are handsome dogs.

I am two weeks away from wedding bells and no nervous breakdowns from anyone yet. Planning an exciting cruise in September...Vancouver to San Francisco to FLL via the panama canal. Who wants to join Aunty Sunshine and her handsome fella for this trip!!!

On a doggy note: Cooler is doing well. She and her recepeint had a great bonding experience during training camp. She described her as the "blonde tornado of engergy" and it was such an apt description. And not to worry about her service dog behaviour. That was what surprized her recepeint, she would go from "tornado dog" to incredibly calm and well mannered when tethered to her wheelchair and out in public. Even took her to a very narrow tea shop. I know what shop she was talking about and I can tell you I never braved that one with the "tornado". Rock Star indeed.

Mackey is doing well. I had him home last weekend and he kept Rich and myself amused for hours.

I have to share something with you guys......So, I'm boarding the Sapphire Princess with my lovely SIL Debi and we're wisked off to another room where the Platinum and Elite passengers wait. Soon a woman comes over and wants to pet Horton, I say "yes" of course and she proceeds to point to an elderly gentleman and a ****zu [dog] sitting on the next ailes from us. She invites me over to meet her husband and "his" seizure/medical alert dog, who is wearing a vest reading "Service Dog" on it.

Horton is calm and by my side and the ****zu starts barking/yapping/whining and growling at Horton. The woman says, "I'm so sorry, she was attacked by a bigger dog once and is very skiddish!" I walked away with Horton.

Later on during the cruise we encountered the woman holding the dog on several occasions and when we got to talking she told me that she had had a nervous breakdown and suffered with agoraphobia and panic attacks.

Now, between you and me, who was that dog really on the cruise with and for? And, who wrote the medical letter stating that it was an "alert" dog for her husband who didn't seem to have any control over the dog at all and, was seen with the woman more than with him?? Very strange!

Yet another reason for a federal service dog registry! :mad:

Yet another reason for a federal service dog registry! :mad:

I agree that a federal service dog registry might help.

But, not everyone who has a service dog lives in the US. Not all people who cruise with a service dog come from the US.

If it became a requirement for all service dogs to be registered on this federal register, what will happen about people from other countries who wish to cruise with their service dog?

I think your idea is good, and it would weed out the fake service dogs, but it is too exclusive.

This is a particular soapbox of mine - the fact that most people on CC come from the USA makes the slant of the boards very US-centric. CC is an international web site, so please don't forget those of us who are not from the USA.

Stepping down from my soapbox now. Thank you for listening. :)

I agree about some sort of standardization or database. My paperwork did come from the VA for Blitz and that means he is in my permanent VA record both medically and in the VA Claim file. Blitz is also registered with the local southern counties in S Mississippi since I do go to the beach maybe once a year since its very difficult for me to get across the sand. With Blitz's new harness he is able to better assist me in stability although its illegal to have dogs on the beach. I approached the local counties and found out who to talk with about the beach and then I forwarded his paperwork to those departments so all the Beach Patrol has to do is contact the Beach Supervisor and my paperwork is there already.

I do have a question for everyone here, understand this I am not attempting to cause problems but would like to know the best way to address this issue and compromise with the other party and resolve this situation. First back ground information; I have a few hours each week I would like to volunteer at a local "governmental office of public safety". I am not going to mention their name for now. I contacted the volunteer coordinator and I always notify any one I am working with or prior to visiting them about Blitz. My main reason is because he is a rather large GSD; and some people react differently with him around. I am just being polite in giving the heads up. Well this "local office of public safety" did something that really surprised me and I am wondering if they actually know what they did. While talking to the Department Manager this person said no pats allowed while I was working for them even if it was volunteer. I then told her I could understand the rules of no pets at work; although Blitz is not a pet and I offered to provide the paperwork from the VA. This individual then said it does not matter no pets at work; I again reminded this person Blitz is not a pet; Blitz is a service animal. The manager then again said no although if I wanted to volunteer without Blitz they would love to have me help them.

So here is my position I would love to help these people and it would allow me to get out of the house at least a day a week if not more. While the ADA is very specific how do I approach this with out "burning" a bridge and making enemies? I could come in with paperwork and lawyers and force the issue but it would make for a very uneasy situation. Any thoughts?

Edited by guitarest

I do have a question for everyone here, understand this I am not attempting to cause problems but would like to know the best way to address this issue and compromise with the other party and resolve this situation. First back ground information; I have a few hours each week I would like to volunteer at a local "governmental office of public safety". I am not going to mention their name for now. I contacted the volunteer coordinator and I always notify any one I am working with or prior to visiting them about Blitz. My main reason is because he is a rather large GSD; and some people react differently with him around. I am just being polite in giving the heads up. Well this "local office of public safety" did something that really surprised me and I am wondering if they actually know what they did. While talking to the Department Manager this person said no pats allowed while I was working for them even if it was volunteer. I then told her I could understand the rules of no pets at work; although Blitz is not a pet and I offered to provide the paperwork from the VA. This individual then said it does not matter no pets at work; I again reminded this person Blitz is not a pet; Blitz is a service animal. The manager then again said no although if I wanted to volunteer without Blitz they would love to have me help them.

So here is my position I would love to help these people and it would allow me to get out of the house at least a day a week if not more. While the ADA is very specific how do I approach this with out "burning" a bridge and making enemies? I could come in with paperwork and lawyers and force the issue but it would make for a very uneasy situation. Any thoughts?

Please print-out the ADA Laws [from their website] as it pertains to Service Dogs and their admittance into buildings where the public is invited, as mandated by the DOJ [Federal Gov.] and just hand it to this "government office" where you want to volunteer; you won't have to say much but do make it clear that Blitz is a fully trained Service Dog and goes where you go to mitigate your physical health issues. There's no discussion about it. It's a done deal.....you're a team!

Mornin' all:

Just stopping by to say Hi, so Hi! :D

Hi, sweet lady. I hope all is well with you and the weather has not caused any damage for you.

We have a big leak in the corner of my office....considering my entire office will be moving before the end of June, and our building will be under reconstruction, I don't suppose there will be too much worry about the leak.

Sunshine, good luck with all the wedding plans......you're just weeks away now.

Also, I'm so sorry to hear about your knee. I hope you heal enough to look gorgeous on your daughter's big day!

Take care of yourself and know that I'm thinking about you.

Hello all! We just returned from a "land" trip to Walt Disney World. I wanted to share this picture of Ollie and my husband on Dumbo. Just look at that dog's face!

I think the picture is going to be huge. Sorry about that if it is.

IMG_2590.jpg

He LOVED it! The picture is dark but I think it came out pretty good considering I was in the dumbo in front of them and taking the picture over my shoulder and not really knowing what kind of shot I was getting. Fantasyland is under an expansion and you can see the second Dumbo ride being built in the picture too.

Ollie also really liked the Indy cars. My daughter was in front of them and I was behind. They made it around the track just fine. He is also great with the characters. I like that the characters ask if they can say hi to him.

I love the picture of Ollie, and that handsome "hunk" of yours. Thanks so much for sharing it with us. It's so cute!

I'm not so sure Horton would fit on any rides with his "two-mile" legs!

I love that Ollie is treated just like one of the humans and that Disney is so wonderful about recognizing the importance of the Service Dog!

Horton and I went to a family event at my niece's house this past Sunday and my niece asked if she could introduce her dog, a Pit Bull/Lab mix, named Dexter to Horton. I quizzed her on her dog's behavior and asked her to put a leash on him first. I had a leash on Horty and stood by as she walked her dog over to Horty and Dexter promptly growled and grabbed Horty's face. She pulled him back and upon first examination of Horty I saw nothing and asked her to put him back outside.

Later, when I was placing Horton into my car and the sun was shining on his face I noticed a cut under his left eye........I was mortified. I went home, washed his wound and put some anti-bacterial cream on it. It's not really deep but it's obvious that the dog's teeth did cut into his flesh, grab some fur and leave a scratch.

I will NEVER allow Dexter near Horton again and will be seeing this same niece at a Baby Shower this weekend - Do I say anything to her or just drop it? It didn't feel right from the beginning and I have only myself to blame for it.......I really have to learn to trust my instincts and I should have said "no" from the beginning! A live and learn moment!!!!

Brenda came to me with many nicks and scratches on her [the woman who she first went home with would run into her with her wheel chair] which left my Brenny with lots of scars on her elbows. Horton has absolutely not one scratch on him, his fur is pristeen and to think that he'll have a scar on his face because I was stupid makes me feel terrible!

Edited by wizard-of-roz

Horton and I went to a family event at my niece's house this past Sunday and my niece asked if she could introduce her dog, a Pit Bull/Lab mix, named Dexter to Horton. I quizzed her on her dog's behavior and asked her to put a leash on him first. I had a leash on Horty and stood by as she walked her dog over to Horty and Dexter promptly growled and grabbed Horty's face. She pulled him back and upon first examination of Horty I saw nothing and asked her to put him back outside.

Later, when I was placing Horton into my car and the sun was shining on his face I noticed a cut under his left eye........I was mortified. I went home, washed his wound and put some anti-bacterial cream on it. It's not really deep but it's obvious that the dog's teeth did cut into his flesh, grab some fur and leave a scratch.

I will NEVER allow Dexter near Horton again and will be seeing this same niece at a Baby Shower this weekend - Do I say anything to her or just drop it? It didn't feel right from the beginning and I have only myself to blame for it.......I really have to learn to trust my instincts and I should have said "no" from the beginning! A live and learn moment!!!!

Brenda came to me with many nicks and scratches on her [the woman who she first went home with would run into her with her wheel chair] which left my Brenny with lots of scars on her elbows. Horton has absolutely not one scratch on him, his fur is pristeen and to think that he'll have a scar on his face because I was stupid makes me feel terrible!

Roz,

I feel for you but please don't be too hard on yourself or your niece. She asked before introducing the two dogs and you were right to ask that they both be leashed. It didn't work out well but no one was seriously injured.

Think of it as like when you were raising your kids--having to decide the right balance between protecting them and allowing them to live in the real world where disappointment, nicks and scratches are a part of life. Heck, we've all got our scratches and dents and that's what makes us unique.

I don't know your niece but I'm guessing she feels terrible about what happened. If it was me, I'd acknowledge what happened when you see her this weekend. Something along the lines of "I wish it had worked out better when Horton and Dexter met and we should obviously keep them apart from now on but I appreciate that you asked me before introducing them and I'm glad no one was seriously hurt." Depending on how well you get along with your niece, some recommendations for socialization classes for Dexter might be helpful.

Kathi