Carnival Dream Picture Review, December 10th-17th, 2011

italianfemmy

IMG_0229-web.jpg

IMG_0232-web.jpg

IMG_0235-web.jpg

The two main singers on the sides and Cruise Director, Gary in the middle..

IMG_0243-web.jpg

Again... we thought the Holiday show was great! It was cute and really put us in the holiday spirits. I was pleased this was on our sailing since we weren't on board during an actual Holiday. But we did book this cruise as our xmas cruise so it was great to have so many adorable decorations around the ship and the added bonus of a well put together holiday show to boot!

Again... we thought the Holiday show was great! It was cute and really put us in the holiday spirits. I was pleased this was on our sailing since we weren't on board during an actual Holiday. But we did book this cruise as our xmas cruise so it was great to have so many adorable decorations around the ship and the added bonus of a well put together holiday show to boot!

We were on the Inspiration the week before Christmas... We saw a similar holiday show too and it was great seeing the kids perform and then the snow and then Santa too.... Can't wait to read more and see more of your photos..

Say it ain't so! Am I really at the end? I just started reading this thread a couple of days ago and have been obsessed. Thank you so much for sharing your insights and beautiful pictures. We are booked on this same cruise in June and this has got me super excited!! I feel like I've gotten to know you guys and would love to cruise with you sometime--me and my husband are 1/2 glass full kind of people too and just love to have fun and enjoy the experiences in life. We were in the yucatan a couple of years ago in the ocean, drinking a beer on an absolutely perfect day and some of our fellow cruisers were complaining because the beach wasn't as nice as somewhere else they had been. I couldn't believe it. Some people are just never happy. I was a little concerned about the dream because of the reviews, but you have put my mind at ease. Now I have some decisions to make about the spa and the chef's table--we don't like seafood, but it seemed like so much fun!!

I'm glad that you are feeling better. Again, thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Say it ain't so! Am I really at the end? I just started reading this thread a couple of days ago and have been obsessed. Thank you so much for sharing your insights and beautiful pictures. We are booked on this same cruise in June and this has got me super excited!! I feel like I've gotten to know you guys and would love to cruise with you sometime--me and my husband are 1/2 glass full kind of people too and just love to have fun and enjoy the experiences in life. We were in the yucatan a couple of years ago in the ocean, drinking a beer on an absolutely perfect day and some of our fellow cruisers were complaining because the beach wasn't as nice as somewhere else they had been. I couldn't believe it. Some people are just never happy. I was a little concerned about the dream because of the reviews, but you have put my mind at ease. Now I have some decisions to make about the spa and the chef's table--we don't like seafood, but it seemed like so much fun!!

I'm glad that you are feeling better. Again, thank you for sharing all of this with us.

Just let them know you don't like seafood and see if they can make accomodations for you! I don't like a lot of things but loved them at Chef's Table! Just goes to show that well made food tastes better! Haha.

I am a glass is 1/2 full kind of person as well although I do get annoyed really easily when people act entitled or make a fuss over ridiculous things. I once sat in the lounge area right next to the Pursers desk for about a half an hour waiting for someone to join me for dinner. The things I heard in that time made me shake my head, laugh and feel really bad for the crew. Some people will do anything to try to get an OBC or a room upgrade! It's nuts!

Great review!!!

Honestly I have NEVER EVER had a desire to book a cruise w/ Carnival...I mean the thought has not even ran through my head...EVER. Your review has actually changed my mind. The food looks quite delicious, the ship nice and spacious, etc... Great job!

Great review!!!

Honestly I have NEVER EVER had a desire to book a cruise w/ Carnival...I mean the thought has not even ran through my head...EVER. Your review has actually changed my mind. The food looks quite delicious, the ship nice and spacious, etc... Great job!

Who do you normally sail with? I am glad you've changed your mind and hope you'll start looking into it!

Cruising on Carnival is what you make it. In some areas, they fall short compared to other lines but overall, I love cruising with Carnival.

Time of year is super important! If you cruise over spring break or summer vacation, expect there to be more rowdy behavior. But treat the staff with respect and they will treat you the same way. Relax and have a great time.

I'll say, we didn't like the Holiday (I wish I'd done a review on that ship) but I'd never recommend anyone to sail on it. The Dream, followed by the Miracle have been my favorite ships. (The ship itself and where it sails out of also seem to make a difference in the demographic and overall chaos on board a ship.)

Wow! Great stuff!!! Just sat here (at work :rolleyes:) for the last 1.5 hours going through this entire review -- we're thinking of the Western Caribbean on the Dream for my big 5-0 but we're not sure if we want to risk the weather.

I've cruised with Carnival 3 times now and you are right, it's definitely what you make of it. I work for Disney and have done the Wonder twice and was on the inaugral Dream for "work" :D but the Cloud 9 Spa just BLOWS theirs away - espcially if you get the spa cabins or opt for the weekly pass -- my husband is NOT a big cruise guy - we actually charter and sail in the BVI every year at least once so he's not big into the cruise ship crowds. But we've done 2 sailings now on the Splendor because he just LOVES the spa. So...we're thinking of the Dream for late October/early November...just not sure I want to risk that weather window.

Okay....one thing I have got to tell you and then I promise I'll shut up about it. Go watch "The Cove." You will never want to give $$ to the dolphin peeps again. Ditto on the "hold the tiger for money" opp. That poor baby was away from his mama all day and God knows what happens to them after they stop making money for the vendor -- they do this in Cabo as well and there's all sorts of encouragement going around telling people to stop giving these guys money. I mean...I get the dolphin thing, I really do. We just got back from the BVI this past weekend. Last Thursday, we dropped our anchor off of a little island called Sandy Cay, off the coast of Jost Van Dyke. It's a tiny little "Gilligan's Island" kind of place. We took a little hike and we were all on the beach hanging out when my friend David yelled - "hey - dolphins!" There was a pod of dolphins - two babies and two adults - just off shore in the bigger waves - leaping and playing. My friend Kristine and I grabbed our fins and swam out....they started swimming around us all on their own - it was AMAZING. Because we swam in from our boat? Nobody had a camera :mad:

Seriously NOT trying to be a Debby Downer on the whole thing - I just had to say something because I just feel so sorry - especially for those little tigers.

Your photos are fantastic!!! And I was NEVER one to think the Chef's Table was a good idea....TOTALLY changed my mind on that one. What's the scoop on the wine? Is it included in the $75? If so, that is a great deal per person for everything you guys got! Thank you SO MUCH for such a detailed, beautiful review. I now cannot wait to go on this itinerary! Bummer that Belize was a wash-out for you guys. How did you like Costa Maya? Is it pretty??? We are really into snorkeling and it's supposed to be amazing in Belize!!

I wish I could go back and edit my posts from the last couple days! Eeek!

Okay, formal night was on the 15th (day 6) and I posted photos from that as well as dinner photos from that night. After dinner on the 15th, we went to see the comedy show with Steven and Kim. (Now I understand why I was so confused about how we broke up with Steve and Kim on this night.) We didn't. We all went to the comedy club together. Doug Funk was performing in the Punchliner Comedy club/ Burgundy Lounge and was a hoot! (very funny!).

After a couple comedy shows, Latanya and I were beat and we went to bed.

I've already posted the holiday show photos but that didn't take place until the following day (Day 7, Sea Day) at 4pm.

Sorry for the confusion! Day 7 coming right up!

Sigh. The real day 7 is here. Apparently, I wanted to make day 6 last forever and incorrectly put the Holiday show photos on day 6. In fact, they're part of day 7... final day.

Latanya and I woke up on day 7 and we decided we wanted to spend most of the day in the spa since this was a sea day. So, we ate some breakfast real quick and headed towards the spa.

I brought my camera with me again to snap a few more photos. (I mentioned this earlier but all of the spa photos I posted earlier were actually taken on day 7... I just posted them earlier so people could see them. :-).

Latanya knocked out....

IMG_0133-web.jpg

IMG_0158-web.jpg

IMG_0159-web.jpg

We both fell asleep on those chairs several times ... the hot stone feeling was so soothing and relaxing!

I didn't fall asleep this time but pretended to for the photos after seeing the ones I took of Latanya.. haha

IMG_0169-web.jpg

IMG_0172-web.jpg

And my promo shot for the spa... in the comfy spa robes...

IMG_0174-web.jpg

We stayed in the spa for a couple of hours....

And then we went to shower off and eventually made our way towards getting some lunch. This is the day that we made our way Aft on the Lido deck and Latanya got some food from the Tandoor (Indian food) station and she carried her plate up with me through the Gathering, up one flight of stairs into the Pasta Bar. Again, no food photos.. shame on me. But the Pasta Bar allows you to put in your order on a piece of paper and then take a seat with a table number. They bring your food to you when it's ready.

Not having to wait in line already makes this place awesome! But the food was absolutely delicious. I got a fettucini in alfredo sauce dish with shrimp, I believe. It was WAY worth going for! YUMMMMMMM!!!!

After the lunch, Latanya and I walked around the ship for a little bit and then headed into the Holiday show (already reviewed with photos mistakenly as day 6.).....

Here are a few photos that I snapped while we were on our way to the Holiday show.

AroundShip1.jpg

Sam's piano bar...

AroundShip2.jpg

The atrium...

AroundShip3.jpg

And this was my favorite towel animal (took this photo the night before but forgot about it. :-)

AroundShip4.jpg

After the holiday show.. (which was awesome).... we headed aft... to the Burgundy Lounge...

We were in the Burgundy Lounge within a few minutes for the Fun Farewell party. I have never been to a Fun Farewell party. We went to this one because we noticed it was in the Burgundy Lounge and we thought maybe they had some performances scheduled or something.

To our surprise, free flowing alcohol was plentiful during this hour (free of charge). They had several mixed drinks on their trays or you could walk a few feet to the bar and order absolutely anything you wanted for the enitre hour. They again had the yummy virgin punch drink they served during the Past Guest party so I was elated with this. I went to the bar to get Latanya the stiffer variety in the form of Whiskey Sours. They were giving out wine, beer, etc. also at no charge during this hour.

I walked around while Latanya sipped on her drink and took some photos in the Burgundy Lounge. I was obsessed with the cool masks all over the room.

Burgundy1.jpg

Burgundy2.jpg

Burgundy3.jpg

Burgundy4.jpg

Burgundy5.jpg

A few more photos in the Burgundy...

Burgundy6.jpg

Burgundy7.jpg

Burgundy8.jpg

The Burgundy Lounge was one of our favorite rooms, decor wise, on the ship. I felt it was well designed and just a pretty cool space overall.

We'll go to future Fun Farewell parties, if for no other reason than to make my sign and sail bill less. :-)

It wasn't really a party... people just sat in seats and mostly mingled with the people they came with. But the free drinks were had and enjoyed by many :-)

The Fun Farewell party was over at 5:40ish so Latanya and I headed to dinner. Our final dinner was the first time we had to wait a very long time to get seated for anytime dining. It was the first time I got really upset. We waited almost 90 minutes before being sat and I was beyond starving at that point. This was the only night that we were sat with the guy who was our waiter that night. There wasn't an assitant waiter helping him. He was very slow. It took forever to get anything, including bread and water. We skipped appetizers and dessert and just had dinner so that we could get out of there.

The rest of the week in the dining room was pleasant for us though and I refuse to let that one evening make me too upset. :)

We left dinner and decided to go back to the spa and close it down. The spa closes at 10pm on the ship. We made it there in time to spend about an hour. We literally were the last ones to leave the spa.

We went back to our room at 10pm to finish our packing so our luggage would be outside of our stateroom before midnight. After we finished packing, we went back to the Burgundy Lounge and took in another really good comedy show.

A movie was playing on the Lido deck big screen so we decided to lay on loungers and watch it. I can't remember what the movie was... I just remember falling asleep there and waking up, freezing cold with Latanya telling me "Let's go to bed."

So, to bed we went.....

(Huge frowny face)....... I don't have any more photos and all that's left to talk about is getting off the ship the next morning!

Yaaaaaawn! Good morning loud speaker system telling everyone "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". Okay, okay, okay.. it didn't say those words exactly but it was the general message, nonetheless. Haha.

Latanya and I took our sweet time leaving our room (we decided not to have breakfast on the ship but instead to get some food when we were off the ship.) But we just kinda took our sweet time, lounging around in the room. Finally, we grabbed our carry on bags and headed outside.

Holy cow... the lines to get off of the ship were the longest I've ever seen. This is the latest I've ever waited... I normally get off early. I assumed less people would be on the ship still and the lines would be easier if we left later but boy was I ever wrong! This is when I also felt the impact of just how many people were on this ship!

It took over an hour and a half to get through the line and get out to our car. But I still had a smile on my face the whole way.

We saw numerous people who had helped make our trip so awesome on our way out and they came up to us and said goodbye and hugged us, again remembering our names.

Latanya and I went to baggage claim and our stuff was there waiting. We grabbed our checked bags and went to wait for the Park N Cruise shuttle to take us back to the Park N Cruise for us to retrieve our car.

While we were waiting, we ran into Naomi and Ben and their friends (the people we did Dolphin swimming with and whom we wound up hanging out with in Costa Maya) and they said they were staying in Florida for a few more days with plans to go the following day to Universal Islands of Adventure for Harry Potter. They invited us to go with them and gave us their phone number in the event we decided to join them.

Latanya and I love Harry Potter but Latanya is just absolutely obsessed and she'd been wanting to go for months. So when we were on the shuttle back to Park N Cruise, I told her the only way that I'd go would be if we could get a room somewhere and not have to drive all the way back home.

Low and behold, the moment we stepped off of the shuttle, there was a guy from the Ron Jon Surf Resort offering a free stay for the night at their resort if we did the timeshare tour for 90 minutes. I've done these before at other places so we agreed to do it. It was as if it were meant to be.

I didn't take any photos at Ron Jon's because within an hour of getting there, I started to feel very sick to my stomach. I wound up spending the night in bed, in agony, feeling extremely ill.

In the morning, Latanya said we could just go home (she was worried about my health) but I knew she was looking forward to going so I told her I would tough it out.

We drove to Universal and Latanya rented a wheelchair to push me around in for the day since I was so sick and since my ankle and feet were still having problems (although they were MUCH better within hours of getting off of the ship... so strange...).

Then we met up with Naomi, Ben and their friends and spent the day at Harry Potter. I have a couple photos (not many) and would happily give my review of this if people want me to. If not, we can just end it here. :-)

Out of 13 or 14 cruises..... the Dream was my FAVORITE cruise. Before sailing on her, my favorite cruise was always my first cruise, mainly because the first cruise is special... it's the first time I was ever spoiled so much and had that level of service. I didn't think I'd ever have more fun after that but the Dream far and away exceeded my expectations.

I would love to answer any questions that anyone has that I haven't already covered!!

You have to host it somewhere, like Photobucket. And then copy the IMG source code into your signature.

So...i got the photobucket img link, but I cant get the pic any smaller, no matter how much I resize in Photoshop or Photobucket. This should'nt be so hard! Any ideas??

Alicia, this review was great. Earlier in the review you stated that the spa had professional hair dryers were these the type that you put your head underneath? I have locs and the hand dryer will not begin to dry my hair. Thanks.

What a great read! I popped in and out reading this review as a guilty pleasure while studying for exams and working on papers for my masters degree!!! I loved the entire review and I even peeked in your photobucket!! Wow..awesome photos!! Enjoy your next cruise!!!

I can't believe it's over. Well I for one would love to see your review and pics of universal studios. It's been about 12 years since we have been and we plan on going after our cruise on the dream in June. Again, thanks for sharing your talent with us!!

Tammy

Thank you so much for a wonderful review. I have been reading and holding my breath for new editions, since the begining. Great pictures and writing. Have you ever though about a job with a travel magazine? Photojouralist? You might get a job from this review. I feel like I know you. Now I have nothing to look forward too :(. But you did make my days better. Glad you are feeling better

I would love to hear a review on Harry Potter too. We want to go, but never seem to be able to fit it in.

I also have to ask. I just love this picture.

Burgundy6.jpg

How do you get that glowy look? I assume you do something in photoshop. I have some pictures that look pretty decent, but I would love to add a little extra glow to it.

Edited by jenseib