How many cruise without travel insurance

bugtyler

Was looking into travel insurance and it is coming out to be about 190 to 270 depending on policy. (if I want pre-existing covered the higher of the two) my mother in law was diagnosed with cancer back in November, 2013 and has been under going radiation and treatment. My current insurance covers all out of country and cruise costs but you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed cause it is (HAP - thru MICHIGAN)and they don't have out of area coverage. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with insurance good or bad and any thoughts ..traveling with myself 47 a 21 and 15 year old...really dont want the extra expense but am a little nervous...

Was looking into travel insurance and it is coming out to be about 190 to 270 depending on policy. (if I want pre-existing covered the higher of the two) my mother in law was diagnosed with cancer back in November, 2013 and has been under going radiation and treatment. My current insurance covers all out of country and cruise costs but you have to pay out of pocket and get reimbursed cause it is (HAP - thru MICHIGAN)and they don't have out of area coverage. Was wondering if anyone had any experience with insurance good or bad and any thoughts ..traveling with myself 47 a 21 and 15 year old...really dont want the extra expense but am a little nervous...

I never ever ever travel with OUT it! Period end of story :p It only takes a small event and you will be happy you spent the money! A few years ago we showed up in port to board our ship (1st day of the cruise) ship wasn't there, it was delayed by a day. Our insurance paid for everything, hotel, meals, transfers everything, AND so did the cruise line :p

We buy insurance because our daughter is disabled. 1 medical flight could bankrupt you. $270 is a cheap piece of mind :-)

Always buy it and pray I never need it!!!

I never buy from the cruiseline because you can get better coverage for less money through a third party.

A popular site is http://www.insuremytrip.com where you can compare a number of policies. If you have any questions just give them a call, they have great customer service!

Always buy it and pray I never need it!!!

I never buy from the cruiseline because you can get better coverage for less money through a third party.

A popular site is http://www.insuremytrip.com where you can compare a number of policies. If you have any questions just give them a call, they have great customer service!

we always use insuremytrip too :-)

Always buy it, just not worth the risk. Sometimes through the cruise sometimes not, depends on who we are flying. But when we do a land vacation, we always do travel through travelsafe. Have had very good luck with them

We have never purchased travel insurance. We did recently buy a membership for an medi-vac service but it's not an insurance policy, per se. It won't cover actual medical bills, hotel stays for delayed trips, emergency flights home, etc. But we don't care about that stuff....We have never needed it, and what we've saved by not buying insurance dozens and dozens and dozens of times over the years would more than cover such expenses if we did ever have a need for it. YMMV

We NEVER cruise with out it!! We have had to use it 3 times, once as an emergency when DH was taken off the ship in an ambulance at the end of the cruise, ended up hospitalized in Seattle.

RC cruise care paid every penny!

Weather you take cruise line insurance or third party...PLEASE GET INSURANCE!

I never purchase..I am willing to risk certain things and absorb on my own dollar. that being said I do have medical emergency coverage including medical if there is a medical emergency so there is no need to purchase more. That for me is the important coverage..the rest whatever might happen I am prepared to take that financial risk

I never purchase..I am willing to risk certain things and absorb on my own dollar. that being said I do have medical emergency coverage including medical if there is a medical emergency so there is no need to purchase more. That for me is the important coverage..the rest whatever might happen I am prepared to take that financial risk

The financial risk can be huge if medical transport via air is required and you are out of the country.

We always get insurance. You just never know when you will need. We generally purchase cruise line insurance. Out our ages, 3rd party insurance is just too expensive.

We did need it on one of our earlier cruises when DH fell and cracked his elbow. Claim was paid quickly. Covered the x-rays and meds.

When were much younger....cruising on short cruises that required only a 45 min drive to port and no air needed we cruised without insurance many many times. As we've aged (even though we're both in excellent health) and our cruises now require domestic flights and occasionally international flights and travel out of the country...we buy private policy insurance..either from InsureMyTip or TheInsuranceStore.

To quote the inimitable Yogi:

"Insurance - when you don't have it, that's when you really need it.":)

I agree.

We always buy the insurance, not through RCI because of their pre-existing restrictions. Friends of ours didn't buy insurance on a cruise recently and he was hospitalized in Alaska and then medivaced to Seattle. As I remember, the flight alone was over $50,000. Fortunately Alaska's in the US, so there were no problems with Medicare and their supplement.

I never travel without insurance. Just like I don't drive without insurance or own a home without insurance. But, some people do... :confused:

You can't compare travel insurance with home owners or auto. With auto or home owners, you have a liability issue to worry about. If an outsider gets injured, they could sue you for everything you have. As a traveler, you are the only issue in play. It could be expensive but not a life changing event, at least not for me.

I do have home owners and auto insurance but not travelers. I'm willing to roll the dice.

I do not get insurance for a Caribbean cruise. I do get insurance when traveling abroad

This is what we do too.

We are most concerned with medical costs, as we can self-insure for the rest. So to keep the costs down, I choose the plan with the most medical coverage and medical evacuation, but insure for an amount much lower than the cost of the trip.

Always. I can eat the loss of cost of vacation, I can't pay medical evacuation costs without a major life crimp. You have to be insane or thick headed not to have at least some form of medical/emergency transport coverage when traveling

Sent from my cm_tenderloin using Tapatalk

$270 for 4 people sounds like a resaonable cost for the amount of possible insurable things you are asking to cover, especially with having known pre-existing conditions included. $70 pp? Can you imagine the cost for the insurance company providing 4 Medi-Vacs?